97 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2014 2:00 AM by anadyr RSS

My Super Bowl Predictions

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Who will the 49ers play from the "other" league this year? 

I'm was going with the team from Cincinnati, aka the Bengals ,for the AFC side of the fence.  They lost so, there goes that idea.  Now I guess I'll go with Andrew Luck and his Indianapolis Colts.

So my prediction: the game will be played in New Jersey: 100% chance I'm right

• The 49ers will give Indie a chance, but be victorious in the end, 35 to 24. Colin K. will rush for 150 yards.  Joe Buck will announce the game. (so far so good).  Governor Christie will be in attendance.

So, anyone else got ideas or prognostications?

No money on this, just the pride of knowing the 49ers are fulfilling that "Quest for Six."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: My Super Bowl Predictions
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

The Patriots!  They have done more this year with so little than in most years past (loss of Gronk, Mayo, Wilfork and so many others to injuries; Welker and Woodhead to trades; and then of course the best-forgotten Hernandez).  And the B/B team is still the best.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Never happen prof

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I'll go off on a whim here.....an all California Super Bowl in Jersey.  The Chargers are peaking at the right time. Yep, you heard if first right here on Insiders!!

• San Francisco wins on a last minute run by Colin K. for a 31 to 28 win of San Diego.
    • Governor Christi will be looking svelte in his new full length winter coat, some six sizes smaller.
    • The weather will be freezing rain changing to snow as the game goes into the third quarter.
    • San Francisco will still be a buzz with their SIX PACK of rings for months.

Great post anadyr

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

The Broncos.  The Patriots have always have a rough go of it in the Mile High City.  The Superbowl will see the Seahawks prevail over the Broncos.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Having lived in Seattle the last time the Seahawks made it to the Super Bowl, I'm rooting for them to win it all this time.

Can't say I have any predictions, per se, but it would be nice to have a champion that has never won the Super Bowl.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

50/50 chance bj

But that was before they had Peyton Manning .  Brady has almost always been better in the postseason that Manning.  But in general I agree with you that I wish we didn't have to play in Denver.

PS -- I wouldn't rule out the Chargers beating the Broncos after the way they played Sunday.

impresario07 Platinum 4 Reviews

They're going to need more than 27 points to beat the league's highest scoring offense ever. The 1999 Rams were called the greatest show on turf, the 2013 Broncos are the greatest show, period. The chargers beat the bengals, who's offense has been adequate, but not elite. Welker is back, the running backs are charged and Denver is looking for retribution for their fans from the last time SD came into town. I say Broncos win 38-27.

I admire the Broncos too, and hope they can play all the way.

We beat the Broncos this season, though it was close.

Broncos beat the chargers in SD as well. remember the 4 games before that were the chiefs twice, the patriots and the titans. they will be better rested for this one.

I can't see the 49ers winning in Seattle. That place gets rocking with the 12th man. That being said, I'm calling for a Seahawks vs Broncos Superbowl (really risky picks taking the 1 seeds, huh?) The Broncos Offense will not be able to dismantle the legion of Boom and the Bronco's Defense, which has been inconsistent with injuries this year, will not be able to contain Marshawn Lynch when he goes Beast Mode.

I see scratch across the board for the remainder of the playoffs. My upset alert is Indy beating the Pats this weekend, but either team will not be able to beat the Broncos. I think the Brocos underestimated the Chargers the first time they played in Mile High. The fans will be loud and the players are well-rested and well-prepared.

On the NFC side, I like Drew Brees as he has gotten me 2nd place in my fantasy league, but the 12th man will ruin the Saints hope of the Superbowl, but they did have a great season after the return of Sean Payton. Drew Brees likes to see what the defense gives him and change plays at the line, but the noise and confusion will cause many false starts and missed cues. Carolina has been the big surprise this year and I think their defense may be enough to contain Gore and Crabtree from scoring at will. Does Cam Newton have it in him to win at home in the playoffs, I think so.

The MVP this season is Peyton, by far. if you could give it to multiple people, I'd give it to Seattle fans. They have had the biggest influence on games this season and are the reason I pick Seatle to make it to the big one.

Cam is the man but KAP is the wunderkind. Chargers-49ers, what a rematch if it happens, The 49ers whooped the Chargers by the score of 49–26, becoming the first team to win five Super Bowls on January 29, 1995 in Miami.  Bring it on Phillip Rivers, we're ready.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

My perfect Superbowl scenario (not necessarily prediction) would be the Niners against the Colts, though it would be a slice of heaven to see CK spank Brady's pretty boy butt (sorry Prof, cuz you're one of my favorites, but sometimes it's just fun to throw down a little bit of trash talk now and again.)  Barring that, Seahawks, baby.  As far as predictions, I'm with gm1, though I don't want to jinx my Niners.

Tommy B. was a NOR-CAL Serra high school phenom and a nice guy to boot, but his time has passed I think. Newton, Luck and Kaepernick are the NFL rulers now.  No jinx here, but things change. I was pleased to see that the refs have been told to keep their yellow hankies in their uniform pants, and let the fellows play.

TB is indeed a phenom, but his time has past?  Not quite, me thinks.  Look what he did this season with a new and undeveloped wide receiver corps.

You left Wilson out of the new varsity of QB's.

Like it or not, at least the refs were fair.

Sophomores are wonderful this year--and yes Russell Wilson is a great QB. My comment on Brady was not a slam, just a reflection of his age.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

This is the Falcons' year! Oh, wait, that was last year. Never mind.

Seriously, though, the 49ers will have their hands full in Charlotte this weekend, especially if the Panthers get Steve Smith and Jonathan Stewart back. The Panthers won 11 of their last 12 and over that period have had arguably the best defense in the league. The 49ers had 151 yards total in their first meeting. And if Cam gets hot, watch out!

Predictions: NE over Indy                              

Denver over San Diego

AFC: NE over Denver

New Orleans over Seattle (Drew Brees and Jimmy Graham have monster games.)                       

Carolina over SF (Okay, I'm an NFC South homer.)

NFC: Carolina over New Orleans (Defense wins championships.)

Super Bowl: New England over Carolina (mostly because of the outdoor venue)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Denver vs. Seattle with Denver winning.

Could be

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Good call, BPelican

etw Platinum 5 Reviews

Seattle should have the NFC locked up.  AFC is a bit tougher to pick, but tought to against Denver right now.

Denver yes, Seattle not

Denver yes. Seattle, um, YES!

Though I will admit, Seattle will have a harder time playing away from home against Manning. Still, I'm going with Seattle over Denver 20-17.

Since I don't normally follow football, I have no idea if this is a reasonable prediction or not, but as a former resident of the Puget Sound area, I have to root for my former hometown team.

My sympathies go out to the 49ers fans. It sure looked like SF was going to pull out an amazing win. No doubt about the quality of that team.

Seattle did not play particularly well today and still won.  So your prediction that they will beat Denver is certainly not unreasonable.  That said, Manning is having a career year and is going to be very tough to beat.  It should be a good game, but I think Denver will come out on top, let's say 28-17.  Good luck.

tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

No sympathies from me to 49ers fans.  I have to live with these guys out here.  NFC game was the Jack-*** bowl, as far as I was concerned.  Are there two greater jerks for head coaches in the league than Harbaugh and Carroll?  And Carroll is rubbing off on Richard Sherman, based on that little display after the game.  My only rooting interest in the AFC game was to root for whichever team had the better chance to beat Seattle/San Francisco.  I think the better team won, in hindsight.  The Patriots are looking like an end-of-dynasty team to me.

Wow, can you be more direct?

Good observations.  Looked like Brady was still under the weather.  He's definitely had better days and was missing his big tight end. 

Thanks, Bejacob.  One of the reasons why I love this forum is because of all of the nice people on here.  (Are you paying attention, tfreeman98?  I hope so.)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

pluto and anadyr,

That was one heck of a game, and I too send my condolences for your Superbowl hopes.  I know how we would have felt if we lost this game, as well.  We just got home from the game a little while ago (won a drawing a JBLM, Ft Lewis to get 2 tickets to the game) , and it was a cliff-hanger all the way through.  I had been rooting for the teams that played against the 49ers, in the playoffs, only because I knew this would be Seattle's toughest opponent.  Kaepernick is so hard for any team to contain, including Seattle.  In the very end, it was Seattle's defense that won the game.  I talked to a few SF fans outside and told them they could keep their heads high, because it was a heck of a game, and they were greats fans to come all the way up to support their team.  They were gracious enough to tell us to kick Denver's .... and win the Superbowl.  I thanked them and wished them well too.  I love it when fans are civil, and remember that it is a game, and not a validations of what we are as fans of winning or losing teams.

Tryt,

Thanks.  Hope was all I had, but not a lot of confidence.  I kept it to myself, because I didn't want my words to jinx my team (it's only wierd if it doesn't work, I know ).  Congratulations on Seattle's win, and also on winning the pair of tickets.  Good going!  Now my husband won't root for the Seahawks in the Superbowl, but I certainly will.  I think their time has come!  I will confess my disappointment in hearing that the franchise was supposedly denying NFC championship ticket sales to California residents though.  I don't have all the facts, just heard rumors.   Anyway, now that the Niners have been knocked out, GoSeahawks, Go NFC.

I would prefer that an old guy, Payton Manning, is playing. Seattle is just a place for fair to good coffee, rainy weather, bad traffic, Costco and Amazon, but not for football teams that I would root for. sorry.

All I can say is, GO SEATTLE!  I have nothing against Denver per se (loved it in the Elway [QB] era), but I cannot stand Peyton Manning, however talented he may be -- so I don't mind Indianapolis under Andrew Luck, who's a guy of the future. 

One too many commercials, a bit too much about his own victories vs. those of the team, etc.  The Pats played horribly yesterday (and Manning was amazing), and so my beloved team deserved to lose.  But I sure hope Russell Wilson knocks Peyton's clock in the Super Bowl!  What I kept yelling at my TV yesterday was "Get into his head" -- because if you successfully do that, Manning loses, esp in postseason.  Alas for the Pats, bad decisions [in the 4th quarter, based on Manning's passing, I would have gone for the onside kick immediately after the TD], too young players, too many people not yet ready for prime time (but some will be some day -- we got this far despite everything) ended up with what can only be said was the right outcome, as much as I detest it. 

But like I said, I hope Seattle is ready for bear and gets into Manning's delicate psyche.  (By contrast, I have immense respect for his brother Eli in all respects -- for Peyton, only in throwing, self-advertisements, and comedy skits.)

With the Gronk back next year, and Brady announcing he won't retire until he can't play I have high hopes.  One more ring and he can do so.

PS -- If I have defamed Peyton's character, I will go to confession and say maxima mea culpa to my priest.  Only thing is -- my priest agrees with me

There is one, and only one, reason I could stand a Broncos' Super Bowl win -- Wes Welker.  He was the heart and soul of the Patriots, having filled the large shoes of Tedy Bruschi and Troy Brown before him.  Rumor has had it for a long time that he was bullied by Hernandez, and while I would normally not count that for much in view of what happened, he might have made the best move.  I will always love Wes Welker.  He gives all of himself to the game.

Prof, agree with your assessment of the Pates.   Young, perhaps not ready for prime time, yet look at how well they managed to do, just the same.  A credit to the hard-working, intelligent and disciplined leadership of coach and quarterback.  Similar to you but just the opposite, I respect but dislike coach Belichick, while having nothing but glowing remarks for Peyton Manning both on and away from the field.  I'd be happy to see Manning win a second ring since leaving the Colts, though decidedly a thousand times more happy to see Seattle win the title.

flighttestguy Platinum

Yeah.....  The 49ers gave it their best shot (again), too bad they had to play Seattle, once again the Sea-SF game shows the power of a good defence over a good offence, (to say nothing about the officials).

Theres allways next year, good luck with your prediction for 2015

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I am very familiar with the Bengals and have watched them play live several times...I could have told you they were going nowhere.  I like the matchup because both teams are fairly popular and there is not the one team that everybody is going to be rooting against like the Patriots.

And nothing against the 49ers and Jim Harbaugh is a great coach (great at Stanford and great at SF; probably top 3 in the NFL), but he is also a very polarizing figure so he doesn't have many fans outside of 49ers fans and maybe a few Bears fans.

My guess is the Broncos win.  I actually thought the 49ers were going to win it all.  I think Seattle is better than the Broncos, but I just think Peyton is going to get that 2nd Super Bowl ring before he retires and this might be his best shot.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I too, vote for the Bronco's.  They have some great receivers, a very good running back, and one hell of a quarterback.  Seattle was certainly better than San francisco (thank God), but Wilson looked like a boy amounts men.  Their defense won the game for them, Kapernaks arm lost it for the 49ers.  I agree that Peyton appears to be a man of destiny and this game will fulfill that for him.  Go bronco's.  With all due respect to those who supported the Pats (prof in particular), they were just simply out-played.  Brady seemed defeated by halftime and never really stepped it up. 

shoeman

Brady was certainly not himself yesterday.  I wonder if he was fully recovered from his early week illness. 

While I agree, if you haven't watched the whole season you can't know what Brady has gone through.  He took yet another pay cut to keep players (who weren't kept -- I blame that on BB), and lost pretty much all his receivers.  Then the offensive line went down early and the defense was composed of kids.  They learned.  And to me that is why BB probably should be coach of the year this year (even though Brady is the real team leader).  They were truly working with nothing and they made something out of nothing, even if it didn't work in the end.  I think Denver also learned from that game where the Pats were behind 0-24 going into the second half but beat the Broncos.

If Gronk is back, the Pats are back. I do, however, question the front office.  Brady has regularly given up part of his salary toward caps to keep players yet they let them go anyway.   Welker, to me, was the worst loss of all.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Quest for six???  keep on Questing!

I like Fox, Manning and the Broncos over Carroll, Wilson and the 'Hawks.  Denver by 10.

That being said, I am a long suffering Eagles fan - brimming with optimism.

Egads, Eagles fan???? I am from Philly originally! Sigh!

Yes, indeed.  Eagles and Penn State football.  Good weekend entertainment.

Seattle by 4.

Looks like they found a QB.  They should be solid next season.

We are all very optimistic about the coaching staff, our QB and the relative youth of this team.  I believe we were probably one of the most fit teams at the end of the season but, alas, not the most talented.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

While respecting profchiara and her Manning dislike, I don't dislike him as I think he's been great for the NFL, both he and Brady.  While I wanted to see the Pat's win so Brady could be in what his 8th Super Bowl, I am glad DEN won so we can see the #1 offense vs the #1 defense.  I love SEA and am hoping for a SEA 28 - DEN 27 game.

Speaking of SEA, Russell Wilson has more class in his freshly cut little pinky nail than that mouthy jerk Sherman.  What a complete arrogant jackass to act as he did immediately after the game.  I hope Carroll and the league both fine him heavily for his classless rant after the game.  That game didn't deserve to end with him being interviewed by Erin Andrews after the last play, FOX should have used the wonderful shot of Marshawn Lynch shaking the hand of each lineman after his long TD run and then handing the ball to one of them, but that was a beautiful sight to see and those things don't seem to matter much anymore.

Hi IAHFLYR,

I was probably being too sensitive in my earlier posts.  I loathe Peyton Manning (though not his brother or his family).  At the same time I admit he is a great QB.  But where I believe with every bit of me that Brady is better is that Brady, when asked about records, says 'what records'?  Peyton (shown yesterday beating Brady's TD record earlier in the season) just grinned like crazy. 

I will always believe Peyton Manning is about himself, whereas Brady is about the team.  I've been a Pats' fan since the bad old days when I first moved to Boston in 1976, and I will admit that while watching that fateful game when Bledsoe got injured (at the parish manager's house with priest in attendance) I jumped up and shouted YES!!!!  (This is but one of the reasons why I cannot watch football in the presence of others.) It was shortly after that that Brady started, then when Bledsoe was well, BB made the greatest decision of his life -- to keep Brady -- last draft 4th QB Brady -- as his QB.  Bledsoe took it very gracefully.  I did not.  I leapt with joy!  I told my priest and everyone else that I was a prophet all the time they were rooting for Bledsoe.

(I should be ashamed, I know.)  But I see talent.   Brady had been the water boy till then.

And look what happened after we lost Vinatieri to the Colts -- we ended up with the highest scoring player in the league - Stephen Gostkowski.

Sadly, ProfC

(Off the grid probably for most of the next 9 days since I go to the Pesaro Palace in Venice Wednesday. My Marriott connections don't usually work there, though others do.)

tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

IAHFLYR - I agree with almost everything you said, except that I am rooting for the Broncos, not the Seahawks.  I have no affection for the Seahawks at all, but you are right that Russell Wilson is a classy guy.  I probably have the most respect for him of all of the Seahawks players.  Of course, I agree that Richard Sherman is a mouthy jerk.  In fact I said so last night on this thread, and threw in some negative comments about both Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh.  That served to ruffle somebody's feathers a bit, so I will apologize in advance if I am doing so again.  Of the four head coaches in the Championship games, I would say that they all are very high quality coaches, obviously, since they have been so successful.  But I find Carroll and Harbaugh to be obnoxious, and Belichick only marginally less so (mainly because he just doesn't spout off as much).  John Fox is the one who seems (from the outside) to be the nicest guy of the bunch.

Well said.

FOX erred in have Sherman interviewed after they saw his antics in the end zone.  Poor Erin was obviously flustered and punted.  Can't blame her.  Now, much of the ESPN talk is all about the Sherman comments instead of the game.  This too will pass.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

The NFL loves it though.  With the uncertainty of the weather as well as Peyton Manning, NFL royalty, and Richard Sherman painted as a villain (very incorrect in my mind, but it is what it is), there will be a lot to watch come Super Bowl Sunday.

If it happens on Sunday, since the NFL is trying to adjust that date if necessary,  According to a humorous post on the Internet, the game of football lasts three hours and includes ten minutes of actual play, whereas in the SB, it's four hours and still ten minutes!!!!