4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2014 3:41 PM by greensim RSS

UK Credit Cards not as good as the US ones

greensim Platinum 14 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone know if there are plans to introduce a card in the UK which gives similar benefits to the US one.  There are lots of threads about how poor the offering is going back a couple of years.  UK card only give 10,000 introductory bonus, the US one goes up to 70,000 and that is before all the other benefits.

Anyone at marriott able to comment?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: UK Credit Cards not as good as the US ones
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

The UK card has never even remotely matched the US version and I came to the conclusion that this was probably a numbers game.

There are costs in setting up a credit card in terms of regulation, registration and practicalities. Those costs are increased when setting up an affiliation card. All these costs have to be recouped from the 1-2% fees levied per transaction over the term of the affiliation. Once recouped, the card issuer starts coining it in!

In the USA with a theoretical customer base of 250million any card issuer is going to get past the setup costs much faster than in the UK, where the theoretical customer base is more like 40million.

As setup and regulatory costs are similar in both countries this more restricted customer base works badly for UK customers:

1. Lower customer numbers means each UK customers contribution to setup costs is quintupled.

2. Likewise, once setup costs are taken into account the profitability of issuing a UK card is only 20% of the US.

The effect of both of these means there's less profit for a card issuer in the UK, and less money available to incentivise customers...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Great response.  Never really thought about it in that level of detail.  I guess I'm lucky they haven't switched it to a Euro/European provider then!  Perhaps they should look at tiering it, so the more you spend the more points you get (as the more money you bring in for them!)

racer56 Silver

Have you actually tried to deal with Sigma Bank???

What a bunch of turkeys!!!

We waited 2 months (thats right, 2 months) for our card to turn up and were told it was our fault for not calling them often enough to see what was happening!

They are totally useless in the customer care dept and I would rather eat my own left hand now that use the Marriott card issued by them.

We shredded and returned the bits.

Yep, they are pretty rubbish at service.  I have a complaint ongoing with them at the minute.  Poor service it seems is the price you pay for the marriott points.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...