7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2014 5:48 PM by anadyr RSS

Ten things that may go the way of the 8 Track

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

After just booking another VRBO vacation, I saw the following,  

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-things-not-to-buy-in-2014-2013-12-27?pagenumber=1 

which included #5 hotels. Certainly not truly in risk of becoming obsolete, but with our recent discussions of millennials, flash, and boutique hotels with lively 'pod gathering' lobbies, I do have to admit to a bit of schadenfreude.

1) Cable TV

2) Landline Service

3) GPS Service

4) DVD and Blu-Ray Players

5) Hotels

6) Two year phone contracts

7) Desk and laptop computers

8) Extra Legroom in Economy

9) Credit Cards w/points or miles programs

10)Digital Cameras

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Ten things that may go the way of the 8 Track
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

The list is interesting.  And being the neanderthal that I am, I admit that i have or enjoy every item on the list except maybe the extra legroom in coach (I thought that was already gone).  Oh, and by the way, I still have a half dozen or so 8 track tapes...for what purpose I don't know since I haven't had a player for 30 years or longer.  But when I'm gone, somebody else can throw them away.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

What about the following:

Upgrades to a suite

Turn Down Service

Platinum Arrival Gifts

Shoe Polishers

Concierge Lounges with no one in them

and

Washington Area Sports Teams worth watching

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Platinum Arrival gift?  What is that?  Is that what we used to get when we checked in?

Last time I was in the OKC Renaissance Downtown I believe they had the electric shoe polisher, you know with the red and black covers.

One thing that is already gone the way of the 8 Track, descent golf balls for under $35 a dozen.

Amen on the golf balls, that's why I go scuba diving over at Pebble --once used mega expensive balls for the price of a tank of O2!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I'm still in 4-track mode...ONE is the loneliest number that you'll ever see

and please do away with cable tv...or at least satellite

I was telling my mechanic the other day that eight track is making a huge comeback now that the in car stereo record player is passe.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

erc:

Interesting list for sure. I think I'll dig out my 'retired' cap from the closet and take a look at some of them as I see them.......

Cable (at least my cable company) tried ad nauseum to get every cable customer to tie into their phone service and let go of their land line (you can do phone over the internet! was their bait) for $29.99 a month while they forgot to compete with the likes of DirecTV who came in with promotions to take cable's customer base with big time 2 year deals. Cable said...but if you get our phone..... well, it was a really bad business model. Cable got scorched.

For me, I have satellite and cable...reason being that I have broadband for internet and the other companies that I can get internet from are in the dinosaur age with speed. If I keep basic TV cable with internet..it's the same cost as just having broadband alone. So, just keep it! Trouble for cable was that they told me I had to keep a 'box' to get basic cable (local channels). I told them..I don't want no stinkin' box...so if it doesn't work so be it. What I found was that they USE the box to block someone from getting the other channels. I get over 100 cable channels and all their high def. They just did some big switch to all digital and I thought that was the end....but no-o-o, now I get even more channels!

Landline phones....another bad business model as they just keep raising their rates to the folks that keep their landlines to offset the ones that left and only use their cell. My landline went from $40 a month to over $75...and I never changed anything. But, I got this little unit from Verizon that keeps my landline number, works on all my landline jacks and I can make unlimited calls anywhere in the US of A for $20 a month. Why should I stay with a traditional landline company? No incentive whatsoever. Yet, the phone company just keeps raising rates while everyone leaves.

GPS...here to stay...it's in the cell phone. I would agree the GPS units one can buy are going away......

DVD and Blue Ray...SMART TV's are going to do them in. All mine are SMART and they're great! I can even link them to my computer and use my computer on the TV screen when the computer is on another floor.

Two year phone deals are going away for the kids who aren't savvy enough to understand that the 'replace your phone every year' deals with no contract are scorching them big time on the pricing. It's a money printer for the wireless folks...and the young'uns haven't figured it out.

IPhones and IPads are replacing desktops and laptops although I still use both of mine and always take my laptop with me. Old habits die hard with geezers.......

Same deal with digital cameras. They'll go the way of Polaroid and Kodak with the IPhones and IPads eating their lunch. Another group that hasn't changed their business model........

I think we all know something is going to happen with the points and credit cards et al with all the points sitting on companies balance sheets now as a liability.......

Anyway, that's my take. Nice post erc!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...