24 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2014 6:22 PM by anadyr RSS

Ability to Reply to Hotel Reviews

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

It would be a nice addition to Insiders if we could reply to a hotel review.   Recently there have been some reviews posted that I'd like to comment on certain points, misconceptions, ask a question of the reviewer, but we do not have that ability.  Simply "Liking" the review does not give another Insider the chance to better query the reviewer and sending a direct message doesn't allow all Insiders access to the comments.

I know in the past I've seen this idea offered from other Insiders however; being unable to find the posts in a timely manner thought I'd bring it up again and see what thoughts the rest of you might provide.

NathalieF, The specified item was not found. & merb, any upcoming changes?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Ability to Reply to Hotel Reviews
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I agree completely, IAHFLYR!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Yeah I also agree.  Perhaps the comments could be minimized on each review so they do not flood the page.  A couple of times in the past I have sent messages directly to the individual when I wanted to make remarks or ask questions about their review. 

Guess this has been on my mind for some time now and I'm sure there are others.  The second one was "Locked"

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/87645#87645

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/83360#83360

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree with the suggestion.  There are times when an explanation or clarification would help with the marks given. 

In order to keep this out of the Insider dumpster!  Wonder if we will ever get this issue addressed?

erc Platinum

merb

FYI

I've noticed since the forum has started to allow Guest reviews, there have been several incidences of duplicative reviews, which skews the weighted average.  The most recent was an apparent unhappy guest who provided six (all the same) out of the eight reviews on the Town Place Suites Cleveland Westlake review

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/marriott-hotel-reviews/CLETS

For the integrity of the process, this type of repetitive error should probably be resolved.

As well as the ability to reply to a review!

erc Platinum

Ok Don Quixote, yes, and the ability to reply to a review! (which I've been on record of being in total agreement with) Face it, they don't want us replying . We should just go back to our cave and observe the shadows. Signed, Sancho

Or we could wander the hills looking for windmills.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Dulcinea!  Where are you?

erc Platinum

Sophia never looked so good (movie).

And a nice warm fuzzy to IAHFLYR (we'll be the first to know about the return of the BOGO also). As profchiara wrote on her thoughtful Sinkhole Loyalty thread about Delta, we still (but as airlines monopolize, less and less) have choices and she cited Expedia, Orbitz, etc.

IMO, that's the next area of potential profit contribution for Marriott (and I don't blame them) TripAdvisor and third party sites. I'm pretty confident they don't want our hotel review replies as they build their own TripAdvisor, if for no other reason for negotiating leverage in their fiduciary relationship. If so, we'll be the last to know .

In my Deming days, yes there were Deming Days in my glorious past, I was taught that the customer always defines quality. Nowhere is this more true than in the lodging business. The Back to the Future Delorean concept (which most of us are old enough to remember, or at least Bo Derrick), simply stated, said that any car that is fancy enough with loaded gizmos that may or may not work, will catch the customer's fancy and then make him a billionaire, was not true then or now. He should have seen the movie about the Tucker automobile, if it had been around.

As customers, we define quality every day, don't we? We make decisions (Chateau Lafitte Opus One or Supermarket Red) based on our experiences and our ability to pay, maybe in the reverse order?

The hotel marketplace is shrinking, there are fewer choices these days in lodging chains in certain places, and competition is not as robust, thus rates go up.

So get out that Deming textbook and bone up y'all. We do see quality in terms of how WE define it.

erc Platinum

I'm in total agreement, that's why for me, it's Insiders and kaizen when it comes to travel knowledge. I'm not counting on corporations to concern themselves about me, there's far more attractive, lucrative targets for them (I don't have time for the companies to learn from their mistakes).

PDCA for sure.  A good friend was senior judge of the Malcolm Baldridge National Quality Awards for several years, and we've had long over "medicine" to borrow from jerrycoin 's wonderful term, about what makes a product or service something of quality. It is not always the price point, but the knowledge that, no matter what the cost, it is worth it.

erc Platinum

My good friend was Malcolm Baldridge. That's another reason why Marriott 'owns' me. I have such knowledge of their products and rates that I know both absolute and relative value and am able to pull the trigger on locking down good deals. Switching costs (the marketing term, not the literal) work to Marriott's advantage on all of us long termers (like Shoeman wrote earlier about Plat Premiers vs. just Plats). Tip of the cap to you for your Fairmont expansion.

ps - as if you didn't know, just bustin' your chops on ol' Mal

I believe everything you say, ERC, you know that. Senor Zapata (get it?) is obviously not fond of my mentioning these other programs, and his defense, he is right.

Fairmont has the luxury of being a small chain, based in Canada ('a nation located somewhere to the North of Minnesota' to quote Dave Barry), and with properties in just a few (fantastic) places like Banff.  It is a small player in a niche market, but considerate of its paying guests who maintain loyalty to their brand. Even smaller, Kimpton Hotels is another player in the 'let's-keep-the-bennies-high' program mindset.

Marriott suffers from extreme bigness syndrome IMHO, and what others do matters not a lot, since Marriott has market share to beat the proverbial orchestra. I would only comment that GM had the same affliction, but that's another story.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

While we are on the topic . . .

I have noticed that many of those who are leaving helpful reviews have what looks to be registered MRI usernames. Basing it solely on how much detail some posters give to reviews, I assume they may have some great travel advice to share and therefore would be a valuable contributor to MRI.

merb, The specified item was not found., ansaa, and NathalieF - is there any type of message that goes out (is generated) to encourage those who leave reviews to engage in the community?  Something along the lines of . . . "Thanks for leaving your review.  Did you know about Marriott Rewards Insiders. . . a great place to share and learn new travel insights." 

Just some food for thought.

It would be nice to get some feedback from NathalieF, ansaa, The specified item was not found. or merb on this topic as I just noticed none of them have responded which is very unusual.  Maybe they're off looking for the windmills also.

ansaa Member

Looks like we were typing at the same time IAHFLYR!

We hear your suggestion and have definitely passed it along. It would most certainly allow for more interaction and engagement with some of the new Insiders on the page.

As soon as 'Reply' on Hotel Reviews become available to all Insiders, you will all be the first to know. Stay tuned!

ansaa Member

Hi jakeal,

Great suggestion. We, as moderators, do our best to respond to most of the hotel reviews. In doing so we like to encourage those members to become more active on Insiders. We provide them with links to The specified item was not found., Oh the places you've been in 2014!, etc. For the 'Guest' reviewers we link them to the Getting Started Guide.

Keep the suggestions coming!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I definitely agree with this and rarely read the hotel reviews, partially because of the lack of interaction -- I prefer using tripadvisor for that reason.

Platinum 28 Reviews

An additional feature (if not suggested above) would also include a transmittal of the review to the property management for comment (especially if  the review is negative).

I recently reviewed a property with many negative comments.  The "shortcomings" of the property were already listed by previous insiders, more than once, in the past 12 months. 

I'm sure the management of the property (franchise) know about the problems but seem to refuse to correct.

If they are aware that the "word" is spreading throughout the Marriott community of frequent guests it might motivate them to act!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...