6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2014 9:06 PM by bpelican RSS

It's a Wonderful Life

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

First of all, respects to Jimmy Stewart.  But each New Year, as resolutions pass by the wayside, I think we should all take stock of how much we have and how lucky we are.  Not all of us surely.  But many of us who write on this forum, myself included, are very lucky indeed to have experienced a great life.  I have a whole slew of medical problems, but I am damned well gonna fight to keep traveling till my doctor tells me I can't -- and maybe even beyond.

Let it be a happy and beautiful year for all of you!

ProfChiae

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: It's a Wonderful Life
    politicalman Gold 3 Reviews

Great thoughts!  Be happy!  Live! And travel!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi politicalman,

Don't know how long I can keep it up, but I do know that I never in a million years as a kid dreamed that I would visit the places I have, gotten to know new cultures, and million to one ended up a college professor.

But life can surprise us.  I always tell my students to follow their dreams, however cliché that sounds -- and however many parents don't like it.  But if you (not you, my students) follow the trends, then there end up being too many lawyers, too many govt officials, etc.  What many people don't get is that a liberal arts education provides you with almost all skills for any job.  I know -- since I came from a family without any college.  Wellesley gave me that chance.

And good God, what chances I have had!  I had never been outside Pennsylvania or New Jersey till me and my first husband moved to Massachusetts in 1976 (he was unemployed but could transfer his benefits and got a job immediately -- and Wellesley gave me a full scholarship).

I still felt a bit out of my element -- I was with students who'd traveled the world.  But I believed in myself, and guess what?  I've traveled the world.  And I feel so extraordinarily lucky to have had the chance to live in or visit so many different cultures.

So while my health may not be so good, I can't complain.  I have gotten ever so much more than I expected from my life.  And one great shout out -- my public schools in suburban Philly.  Even if my parents didn't believe women should go to college, my school made me read great books, write essays every week, and most of all think about things on a grand scale.

I am eternally grateful that I got lucky!

Happy New Year's to all!

ProfChiara

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Prof

I like your attitude!  2014 will be a great year.  No need for polls, no need for suggestions to improve MI, just a concerted effort by each of us to have a great year.  that's all it takes.

Happy New Year!

Shoeman

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

This is ironic, this was my "Theme for 2014"!

Have never seen the movie, but ironically, I had a tremendous personal "Set-Back" this past week-end.  I won't share the details with you here, but theme was my whole goal for 2014!

Thank-you for your kind and motivational post!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I have also enjoyed a wonderful life and been oh so very blessed, from being adopted at birth by great Parents, through a very long rewarding career, to being married to my best friend who is a true Saint putting up with me, to having a hard working Son that was a joy to raise causing no problems and a joy to spend time with quite often, to enjoying retirement at an early age with good health, I am very grateful and thankful.

I then wake up to this thread on MI and am further blessed reading and further reminded of all I have been fortunate to see, do, enjoy and special friends I have here on Insiders and living around me.

Yes, lets all have a great year and enjoy it to the fullest.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

A very inspiring post, Professor.  Words to live by.  Have a great 2014!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...