20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2014 10:23 PM by profchiara RSS

Chase & Marriott

g_smith Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Why does Marriott continue to use Chase for their Visa cards?  As a road warrior, attempting to keep Chase informed of my locations daily is a pain and usually a wasted effort.  And even if I am in an area for several days, they flag my card after several transaction have cleared.  Do they call to check a "suspicious" transaction, absolutely after waiting an hour or so.  Since this appears to be an ongoing problem with Marriott no addressing it with Chase, I may have to seek other lodging arrangements.  Putting up with sub-par customer service may be acceptable for someone on the road 3-4 months of the year, but for those of use who spend 95% of the year on the road, dealing with Chase is not worth the effort.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Chase & Marriott
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Sorry to hear of your problems.  I have often called Chase to inform them of where I'd be going if strange spots, giving them 3-4 months of travels in one call.  Most of the time it was when I'd be jumping across the country and then a day or two later be off in Europe on vacation.  I don't remember having any issues with them, but then I tried to give them some warning just not daily.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Wow, g_smith, sorry to hear that is happening. I too have informed Chase (it can be done online) about any extended travel, but only when I leave the country. Even then sometimes I don't tell them. I've never had an issue with them calling me unless it was legit. When it is legit, it's really a pain to get the card replaced, notify merchants on auto pay, et al. I've had the card for decades, so they probably have a good idea of my habits and I think that most likely helps.

As to keeping Chase informed of your daily travels I think they pick up on your location if you are using the card when staying at a Marriott property. I would think that when the hotel swipes the card...Chase knows you're there.

I might suggest calling them and see what their reasoning is for the constant aggravation of flagging your card. They might be able to change something internally to stop it. It's worth a try anyway......

Good luck!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi g_smith,

Despite the fact that I travel to Europe about once a month, and ALWAYS notify Chase, I always come back (since my US cell phone doesn't work in Europe) to many so-called 'fraud alerts.'  What I think they should do -- as so many other credit cards obviously do (including other Chase cards) is to see if you actually notified them about travel before inundating you with calls. That seems like a no-brainer to me. When I turned on my phone after landing in Boston last month, I had 7 missed calls -- ALL from Chase MR Premium.

disneydiva Platinum

I didn't think about letting them know anything.  I am a new Marriott card holder (although I have a regular Chase credit card as well).  I live in Texas and traveled to both Cabo and Washington DC within the past 3 weeks.  I never called them and was able to use the card in both locations with no flagging or other issues.

hi disneydiva,

If you're traveling in the US, I wouldn't expect you'd have any problems with credit or debit cards (I haven't).  But if you're traveling abroad, it may seem 'out of your pattern' and they may decline charges.  American Express does this often, so even they don't have a mechanism other than a phone call (because they're supposedly so good at tracking your travel plans), I always call.  As a result, I used it often in Greece last month.  On the Chase MR Premier card when I used it often, I would always get tons of messages when I got home alerting me to probable fraud. I think they stopped this when hey got rid of their CreditID program.  Chase Sapphire, however, did me a great service.  After dinner in a restaurant on my day of arrival in Venice last January, I came home to multiple emails asking me to contact them immediately.  I had notified all of the cards of my travel plans, but Sapphire did pick up strange activity -- about 20 minutes after I paid my restaurant bill, 10 charges were made via internet to the same London ticket office.  They cancelled, all was well, they told me I could use my card in person in Venice (but not via internet), and I got a new card when home.

It's always a good idea to let your bank and your credit card companies know if you're traveling out of the country. It will likely save you a lot of possible hassles, and may help protect your credit.

Cheers, ProfChiara

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

totally agree prof

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I recall getting a notice from Chase a while back saying they've eliminated the need to call in and notify them of travel.  I've never tried this myself, but this doesn't seem to be the case if everyone is continuing to have problems.  That being said, I'm glad the card is with Chase.  To me, they're better than Citi, are better than Barclay's and Visa is more widely accepted than Amex.  Unless, of course, you do ALL your shopping at Costco  

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I ususally notify Chase (especially for foreign travel) using the online travel notification. I try to do so for domestic travel as well, but the few times I forgot, I had no trouble using my cards. While notifying them is probably a good idea, it doesn't seem to be a requirement.

The other thing to remember is to check your charges once you get home. After a trip to Canada, I had several frauduent charges show up as pending from Puerto Rico. I was able to get them stopped before they hit my card. Needless to say, I had that card replaced immediately. BTW, that card was not my MR Visa and did not have the chip technology. I've never had a problem with that one (hope I never do).

I remember Chase telling us that once when I called to alert them to my crazy travel pattern for about a month.  I still call any/all credit cards I take with me and each time the CS person thanks me for letting them know my plans.  I do of course fudge some on the day of departure and return just in case some are less than honest in their knowledge of my house being empty!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Yes, despite Chase's claim of no needing to call anymore, I still do too.  Though, I go a little beyond that.  Sometimes I'll call for trips out of state, since traveling out of state is rare and may seem uncharacteristic for me haha

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Kharada46 is correct. I, too, received a notice that there is no longer any need to contact them when traveling outside your normal "home" area. I have no problem with Chase being the Marriott credit card provider. Their fraud department is one of the best. Twice they have notified me that they are sending me a new card because their fraud dept. detected charges that resulted in their contacting me to verify if they were mine.

I agree Chase is excellent about verifying potential fraud, but I wouldn't think of not telling all of the credit card companies (it's very easy online, except for Amex, which insists you don't need to then denies charges -- so I have to call them) before I go to Europe.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Amex doesn't need (or want) notification. They claim it is because they want it to be easy to use their cards. Denying charges goes against their stated policy and puts the cardholder in a tough spot.

Agree with the comments about Chase and fraud. Got a new Chase card after the Target breach even though I saw no strange activity on that account. Didn't happen with Amex even though I used their card at Target more often.

They (Amex) may not want it but we as consumers need it.  More often than not, or at least about 50% of the time, I am declined.  This happens most frequently in Greece because I think they suspect fraud.  But the worst part is when I'm at home and making reservations on Aegean Airlines, Amex declines me (it has happened every time).  Unless I want to abort the ticket, I have to use my Sapphire card to continue.  Then about a half hour later (or when I call Amex) they say I should have notified them or contacted them while the transaction was occurring or immediately after it was declined. Ha! If they are watching (and as they say, know) my patterns so closely they know how often I go to Greece and the islands.  So whether they want my calls or not, they're going to keep getting them, since they make it impossible on their website.  And last time in Greece, no declines.

I still contact AMEX and each time they thank me for telling them of the travels upcoming. To me it just makes sense whether I use the card internationally or not, because you never know.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

I also remember receiving a letter from Chase indicating that it was no longer necessary to inform them of travel plans.  Just to be on the safe side and not encounter any problems, I always use the Chase online Travel Notification Form. It only takes a minute or two and covers all of your Chase cards with one entry.  Other card issuers require a phone call and though it is a pain, it may well save a few headaches down the road. 

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I've  been a Chase customer for about 20 years and have never had a problem.  I've always been delighted with their service.  I admit that I'm only away from home about 40-45 days each year, but I'm totally satisfied.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

phctourist,

I've also have had no problems with Chase and also have been a card holder for about 25 years.  Most of my travel has been domestic but have had a few trips to Canada and never had to notify them of my travel plans. 

jimbomarie Platinum 4 Reviews

I have traveled extensively for years; the last three with Chase.  They have been outstanding in their vigilant Fraud department.  I recently had them intercept a stolen wallet before I noticed it picked from my pocket.  They immediately reversed over $4,*** dollars in charges within 10 minutes.  Hats off to Chase.

Likewise with me in Venice at a ripoff Rialto restaurant -- though it was Chase Sapphire.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...