9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 12:43 PM by eb5147 RSS

pre cruise

ginawander Silver
Currently Being Moderated
We love to cruise and always stay at the Courtyard at the cruise port in ft lauderdale before the cruise.  It is always great and starts our cruise off in the most relaxed and enjoyable way.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
  • Re: pre cruise
    eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Has anyone used a repositioning cruise and had a great experience?  I've only recently found out about them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

eb5147,

GemPrincess seems to be very good at knowing about "Cruises".  She has had some great ideas and information, I hope she chimes in on this post!

Location Brand Hotel
      Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
        GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

eb5147, jerrycoin

I have yet to take a repositioning cruise though I would love to do this.

Its one of the best deals when you look at total cost and days on board ship (great measure of a cruise price is the per day cost).

Unfortunately my office does not like us out more than 1 week at a time, so including weekends the most time I have is 12 days.  And if you count the sea days, plus flite time as you need to fly 1 way usually, its more time than I have.

I was also concerned about what it would be like crossing an ocean, as most of my cruises are along a shoreline, or in a sea (Caribbean, Med, Baltic, etc), so I have talked to alot of people that have done repositioning cruises.  For the most part folks love them, and once they do one they tend to repeat.  Also, I am told that the chances of rough water are no higher on the repositioning cruise, than any other cruise.

One thing to consider though is whether you like to spend a lot of time relaxing or participating in ship board activities or whether you prefer lots of ports.  When I first started cruising I use to pick cruises with lots of ports, but quickly discovered I needed a vacation from my vacation, and that I spent alot more money on tours, unless it was a port I had been to before.  There are some cruises that combine both, but they are generally 21 days and up.

I always try to select a marriott in my port city (ies) to leave and return to.  If you are careful in selection, depending on the city, it is possible to find properties that have airport transportation, include breakfast, and have a shuttle to the port.  This is a huge time and cost saver, when you find properties like this to use especially when you consider that there is often more luggage for a cruise.

blava007 Platinum

We have done few:

• Boston to New Orleans
      • LA to Miami
      • Barcelona to Venice
      • Honolulu to Mexico

Each had is unique itinerary ports of calls from their usual routes;  for example the Barcelona to Venice  was 15 nights and included great ports along the way with also couple of stops in Greece, couple of stops in Turkey including an overnight in Istanbul.

Check out websites that specialize in repositioning cruises

Thank you, blava007.

Those sound really interesting.  The sites are informative, too.

Have you also used the brokerage houses in Europe for last minute flights?

One summer we traveled across the U.S. via Amtrak when they had a special to get off the train 3 times within a trip for as long as you wanted as long as you completed the entire trip in 2 months.  There was a teaching couple from CA who were taking a trip with their grandchildren since children were 1/2 price, and they said there were brokerage houses in Europe where you can get good prices as long as you're prepared to fly last minute.  That was quite a few years ago when the Mississippi River flooded about 1993 or 1994.

I always use VacationsToGo as a starting point for any cruise, as they have the easiest to use listings.

Once I locate the cruise I want, I check several other wholesalers, and the cruiseline directly to see who has the best combination of fare and perks.

Some of the sites are

www.cruise.com

www.7blueseas.com

Most of my cruises have been bought from VTG, cruise.com or directly with the cruiseline

All things being equal I do book direct with the cruiseline, as there is more flexibility with post-payment changes.  As a frequent cruiser, if I have booked with them, I get different opportunities like

• when prices drop, they will often upgrade my cabin to the type I could get with the new pricing.  No wholesaler will do this
          • offer opportunities to upgrade to a suite for a nominal amount. This offer is never made when I book with a wholesaler.
          • upgrade when I get to the ship to the next cabin category.  My last HAL cruise I bought the cheapest inside, but when I checked in I was Oceanview.

p.s. have always bought the air separately, as it has always been cheaper.  I do ask the cruise line and wholesalers to quote both ways, but usually buying air independently is cheapest.  There is one advantage to cruise air thought.  If your flite is delayed, and bought it through the cruiseline,, they guarantee you will get to the ship at no cost to you.  So when I buy independent air, I always fly at least 1 day early in case of flite delays.

Thank you again, GemP.

I haven't checked for travel guides, but some of you ought to include that in your book if you write one.  Maybe a travel guide and experiences. 

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I haven't been there, but I'm a big fan of the Renaissance in Fort Lauderdale - only a stone's throw away - nice facility, comfortable pool, nice people.

Location Brand Hotel
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...