13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2015 11:51 AM by psudad RSS

April/May Honeymoon Advice

webprint4 Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So I'm in the crunch time before our April wedding and I need to plan a great honeymoon.  We are looking to get away, outside of the US, for 2-3 weeks.  I'm looking for a location that has some sightseeing, culture, and a relaxing beach if possible.  I would be even open to breaking the trip into two destinations so we can fit that in.  I am a Platinum Member with over 500K points banked of which I am willing to use them all for the perfect trip.

Only places we have ruled out are Hawaii, Mexico, and Thailand as I have taken her to these places already.

Any help you all provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: April/May Honeymoon Advice
    blava007 Platinum

webprint4

Use your Marriott points find a 3 week cruise or take (back-to-back cruises for 3 weeks) in the beautiful Mediterranean.   CruisesOnly - Redeem Marriott Rewards Points

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I causally mentioned a cruise to which I got the "uh, what the heck are you talking about" face.  So, looks like that idea is out the window.

Thanks for the reply though.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Well, no beach, unless you sit along the Lei, Seine or Thames, but this would be a wonderful 2 or 3 weeks.

Paris & London - with the high speed train and chunnel, you can get from one to the other in under 2 hours, I believe.

If you have extra time, perhaps Ghent Belgium, also accessible by train and a wonderful Marriott in the center of everything.  From Ghent, a day trip to Brugge and Brussels is very easy.  I just posted a few photo albums of recent trips to Paris and Belgium:  Belgium 2013 and Paris in the fall (mid October).

Another wonderful 2-3 week trip would be to Italy.  Perhaps a week in Rome, then head up to Tuscany, with some wonderful stops along the way.  Make your way over to Venice, up to Milan.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi webprint4:

I would suggest Nice/Monaco or the Tuscany region of Italy.

Congrats!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

For a honeymoon, if you're willing to burn big points, consider a splurge, and take a good hard look at the Ritz Carlton properties.  We once burnt points at the Hotel Arts in Barcelona (fun city, nice beach property), and were quite impressed: Wonderful Experience Using Points at Ritz Carlton

ssindc  I have had some "interesting" experiences when using the Ritz as a Marriott member.  I'm am skeptical to take that risk for the honeymoon b/c I would be very disappointed if they treated me as they have in the US when making the leap up to Ritz. 

Did the Rizy in Barcelona give you the same quality service and attentiveness as you would get with a JW or Grand Marquis property? 

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

You raise a legitimate question, and I can't answer it with confidence.  But I will say this:

• Staying at the Ritz, on points, we did not have access to a concierge lounge or enjoy any similar perks;  having said that, I've had a similar experiences as a paying guest at a couple of Marriott resorts (both in Honolulu, and also at the otherwise splendid Orlando Grande Lakes (which we otherwise recommend without hesitation)) and at Gaylord properties....  So, do your research in advance....
          • Although we booked two Ritz rooms (for a week) on points, they did not give us a budget room.  We enjoyed premium (killer) views.  Both rooms were spacious, comfortable, well appointed, simply terrific, and the larger, corner room, in particular, was extraordinary....  Even though they were not suites, they were some of the best rooms I've enjoyed anywhere in the world.  (My mother-in-law and wife were impressed!)
          • Remember that service varies from property to property.  Over the years, I feel like the Renaissance folks have most frequently given special treatment to me (and my family) as a platinum - whether spending cash or burning points; I've had more mixed experiences - some very special, some rather mundane - at the JW's, the Marquises, the Autographs, and the full-service Marriotts....  Here's just one example: I asked our colleagues on this site which of the many Chicago hotels I should burn my points at last summer - Chicago Advice: Blackstone, JW, Rez Inn/Spring Hill Suites Combo, etc? - they convinced me to choose the Renaissance, and it was great advice....  Granted, anecdotes do not prove rules, but this example is consistent with my overall experience....
          • For a honeymoon, I strongly encourage you to speak with the manager at the property you select before you make your final decision - and you should be unequivocally clear that you're a platinum, that it's your honeymoon, and that you plan to spread the word on your experience (on this site) afterwards.
          • Oh, and congrats!  I hope you have a memorable experience!!!!

sg1974 Gold

Southern France (Nice / Monaco) is a good tip.

I'd also consider Andalusia, plenty of great places to see there: Seville, Granada, Cordoba to name a few.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Since Italy is on your list I would recommend northern Italy and enjoy the lakes, particularly Lake Como then off to maybe the Amalfi Coast as it is incredible.  Here are a few photos we've taken of Lake Como and Bellagio as well as Amalfi over the last few years.  So many incredible places in Italy such as Venice, Rome, Florence and Tuscany.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1409

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1392

Please let us know what you decide and congratulations.

IAHFLYR when did you visit Amalfi and Lake Como?  Also were their any Marriott properties in those area's that you would suggest?  I am hoping to use my points as much as possible so we can use our cash for better flights and finer meals. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

webprint4,

We were last to Bellagio in 2011 and the Amalfi Coast the summer of 2012.  There are no Marriott properties in either location which would be a drawback one wanted to use points, but regardless both are fabulous spots.

foodiecan Member

Italy can make your wedding at full blast. I am sure you chosen this with some thought.

Nice Go!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Rome is a beautiful place, particularly in the spring.  Last April, we spent a week in the Rome Grand Flora and absolutely loved it.  Just breakfast on the roof everyday is worth the stay.  Up early, take a run through Borghese Gardens.  We are big fans of Italy and, in particular, Rome but this was the first time we spent an entire week just in the eternal city.  Wonderful experience.  The Grand Flora is in a wonderful part of the city with easy access to get most anywhere.  If you are interested, I would first check on their availability.  Then let me know and I would be happy to provide restaurant, site and activity recommendations.  We have spent all our Italy time, from Rome north.  I can think of few places better to spend a honeymoon.  What do you like to do?  Food, wine, history, art, vistas - some of the best in the world!  Let me know.  Would be glad to help.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...