2 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2015 2:40 PM by brightlybob RSS

Credit Card for International members

mark69 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I love to know when the Marriott Credit Card will be available to those of us who don't live in the US, Canada or UK.

Thanks !

Mark

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Credit Card for International members
    ramoneur Platinum

...yes, me too.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Credit Card for International members
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Good point!

I'm a UK national and spend a good amount of time in this forum despairing of my "1 point per £ (0.7/$), 2 points per £ (1.5/$) at Marriotts" UK credit card that is frankly so poor I've now ditched for the IHG Premium free 60k points and "2 IHG points per £, 4 at IHG" offering. My Marriott card is now used exclusively at Marriotts. It's pretty pathetic next to the U.S. option, 5 per $ (8/£) at Marriotts offered in the U.S. by Chase!

Even so, its a darn sight better than the offerings elsewhere in Europe (ie none).

So when is Marriott going to offer a € denominated card? Well, I wouldnt hold your breath! Although the Eurozone is a massive market, Marriotts penetration outside the UK is spotty. A few countries have a good number of Marriotts, Germany and Spain come to mind, but as of yet evidently insufficient nationals interested to generate the critical mass necessary to launch a individual-country card. In reality for the Eurozone, and especially the smaller countries, the best hope is for an all-Eurozone offering.

The problem in Europe is a lack of a single banking market. If Marriott wanted to offer a card to all EU residents they'd need to issue cards in all 18 different banking jurisdictions within the Eurozone, with all the bureaucracy and expense that comes with each one, not to mention the ongoing costs of monitoring and compliance, 18 times! The cost per jurisdiction doesn't justify the potential numbers. So far in Europe only the UK has managed to generate sufficient membership to justify the cost of a linked card. Unless the Eurozone gets its act together with its banks , t's not happening. And to happen it would require pooling of banking exposure. In reality that means Germany underwriting the PIIGS (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Spain) which in the current political climate that's about as likely as Putin joining Hare Krishna and giving back the Crimea to Ukraine "it was never ours man and here have the Caucasus oilfields too, earthly property is sooo uncool... Now where did I put those little cymbal-ly things... Krishna, Krishna, Hare Krishna"

image.jpg

Putin joins Hare Krishna, gives back Crimea - Marriott offers Eurozone credit card

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...