29 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2014 5:20 PM by gomer RSS

Here or There?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Can anyone else remember when a full service Marriott hotel with three concierge levels, and with hundreds of platinum elites staying every weekday night, gave everyone an opportunity to stay in the packed CL, OR eat breakfast in the well-stocked restaurant? 

Pleasanton California Marriott offers that choice.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Pleasanton, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Pleasanton Marriott
  • Re: Here or There?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Impressive.  why would anyone stay anywhere but a Marriott?????

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Millions do as you know and for equally valid reasons

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

The Renaissance downtown OKC did the same thing NYD when we stayed. The CL was still open when we went for breakfast but we had a voucher that we could use in the full service restaurant if we chose. We chose. I like to have my eggs cooked and real.

Me too and all the bacon I can fit on my plate too!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

yep I hear that, crispy to boot

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

About a year ago at my first, and only, stay at the memphis airport Marriott I was given that option.  I chose the restaurant.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

When I travel overseas, the CL is perfect because they will cook to specifications, having a waffle maker, omelette station, etc... Not many US CL's have that.

I've never stayed in a Marriott overseas, but that sounds very cool.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

they are always open, and have awesome mid-day snacks. Plus if you are a drinker all the drinks are free, tip optional. During the Happy Hour from I believe 4-6, they have all kinds of hors d'oeuvres and fruits, mini sandwiches, etc...  

definitely what CL's should be like.

Sounds good.  thanks.

gomer Platinum 2 Reviews

I recently was upgraded to Hyatt's Diamond level and was able to experience how they treat best customers.

Universes apart from Marriott.

First, you can use them 24/ 7.  They have some light snacks and drinks out during "non attended hours".  Just the ability to have access to the lounge whenever I want is a big deal to me.  And it costs the hotel virtually nothing to do this.

Second, I was floored by the number of staff they had working in the morning and evening hours.  Everything was replenished before it was empty/ people checking with you to make sure you had everything you needed/ wanted....

Felt very pampered.

Third, the food was awesome.  Much more upscale, much better quality.  Much more plentiful.  It was indeed a treat.

Fourth,  In 4 days & nights I only saw about 8 or 9 kids.  This was a large hotel in Orlando near the theme parks.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that their parents actually supervised their kids so none of the problems often encountered in Marriott CLs (kids grabbing all the food/ making lots of noise/ acting up........).

In short, Hyatt really knows how to paper their best customers.  I would hope Marriott would take notice and

at least address some of these issues.  Just giving 24/ 7 access would be a greatly appreciated start and would cost very little- if anything- to do.  Thanks!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

sounds pretty good to me too. What is diamond compared to in Marriott status? Platinum?

And do they offer reciprocity?

gomer Platinum 2 Reviews

Yes they do.

Thanks Gomer

gomer Platinum 2 Reviews

It's equal to Platinum

Hi Gomer

thanks for the info on Hyatt.  Oftentimes we hear antidotal stories but no factual information.  A friend of mine was offered reciprocity at hyatt ONLY if he hit a certain level of nights in a short period of time.  Is that the deal you received?  Can you please be specific.  All of us would one to know.

thanks

shoeman

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

shoeman,

Good post!

It was Hyatt I left to be with Marriott.  Would love to know the "New facts as well"!

gomer Platinum 2 Reviews

Hi Shoeman1000,

Your friend is correct.

It's short-term upgrade unless you stay x number of nights over the next several weeks (approx 2 months).  The amount of nights was about what you'd average monthly to hit Gold with MR.  However, I came down with the crud and bronchitis so I was out of commission for nearly a month without travel.  So I'm not going to pursue it for now.

I find it interesting that 24/ 7 CL access is available elsewhere (essentially a no cost item for Marriott) yet it's extremely restrictive at Marriott.  There are so many times this would have made a huge difference for me.  Extremely short-sighted way to approach rewarding your better customers.  Guess they don't realize what a difference this can make.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

thanks @gomer. I may just call and try to get platinum match with them just in case there are no Marriotts where I am going this year. Great info.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

gomer - I was Hyatt Diamond a few years back (2009/10), and yes, they do treat their top-tier guests like royalty. I got the Diamond via a challenge to my PP status and was immediately granted the status without any stay/night conditions. Excellent work, Hyatt.

Regarding Hyatt lounges - I do not recall having 24/7 access during my stays, but then, I was at a single Hyatt so my venue exposures were indeed limited. Out of curiosity, in the lounge you visited, was there any Hyatt employee manning the post? If so, perhaps that is why 24/7 with someone watching over to avoid liability and litigation if anything were to go awry.

gomer Platinum 2 Reviews

I was in there once very briefly during off hours and didn't see any staff.  It's possible someone could have been in the kitchen area and I wasn't aware of them. 

The impression I had was that there was not a continual staff presence as light snacks and various drinks were out in quantity.  My sense is that someone probably would check the lounge periodically; however, I could be wrong about this.

I just felt like we were respected, appreciated and treated like honored guests.  My hope is that Marriott would realize this (24 hour access to CL) goes a long way towards increasing my loyalty.  With very little cost to Marriott.  Win-win in my book.

gomer Platinum 2 Reviews

Update   RE:  Concierge Lounges.

It finally dawned on me after spending several weekends at Marriott hotels that have closed their Concierge Lounges either for the weekend or for a holiday.

I think in Marriott's mind, they think access to the CL for a couple hours a day are a great benefit.  And they are.

In reality, since we can only go in there except for certain hours typically only 5 days a week, it's more like a weekday morning/ evening reception.

To me, a lounge is a quite place where I can go to relax--- when it works for my schedule.  This would suggest 18 to 24 hour access--- not 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening Monday -Friday.  This would really be appreciated when the hotel has large / loud groups staying in the hotel--- like this weekend (and several others over the past few years).  This was what I experienced at the Hyatt earlier this year. 

ip241au Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm just happy that I can get Skittles and cookies at the San Jose CA Marriott.  Who needs anything after 9PM anyway?

I vote for here!

I'm always HERE, so I will vote for THERE!

With my bipolarity issue I am both places (DSM-5)

agreed.  of course, by being in both places, in effect, you are nowhere…...

or everwhere.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...