11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2014 7:13 AM by bpelican RSS

Does Marriott market research skew toward specific segments?

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

WARNING: It's another early morning erc pre-coffee post , so here's the question: Does Marriott through their methods of  gathering data about hotel guests, run the risk of sampling bias? Insiders, please share your thoughts and opinions, thank you.

Ok, for those more adventuresome souls (or those looking for an excuse to avoid shoveling the driveway), here's the full blown bloviation.

Sampling bias - the bias in which a sample is collected in such a way that some members of the intended population (Marriott customers) are less likely to be included than others (I'll leave the distinction between sampling and selection bias to the experts like superchief1.

Arne Sorenson's December 10th LinkIn Blog post

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20131210120104-239587237-big-idea-2014-listen-to-the-wisdom-of-all?trk=mp-details-rr-rmpost

I first read Arne's blog about listening to the wisdom of all people when it first came out and marked it down as another thoughtful post by either Marriott's CEO or whoever assembles his audio thoughts into reports (man, with all that this guy has to do in keeping up with the world's activities, any blog post is impressive to me). His Steve Jobs comment elevated the post (IMO) from being just a platitude and demonstrated to me that Arne was going beyond a homily and actually sharing insight into his leadership views.

I tucked it away into my memory bank mixed in with roger's ramblings about expensive short ribs, the profchiara's writings about the Franks' medieval western europe empire and kharada46's musubi hot dogs, probably to be forgotten, or at worst, recalled later as an erc misstatement about Marriott buying Ben's Chili Dog restaurant to go back to their Hot Shoppes roots.

However, after reading the NY Times article (see on Insiders - Is Marriott Boring) that anadyr so kindly shared (he reads it for me, keeping me off Nancy Pelosi's  fundraising list)  about the Marriott corporation and it's reasonable pursuit of 'flash', the mental picture of this sophisticated industry leader CEO, Sorenson, even attempting to 'bust a hipster move' (knowingly, in front of a wise guy know it all like Ian Schrager) got me wondering; Does Marriott in their drive to listen to the 'wisdom of all', have an issue of sampling bias (like Mitt's people did in the last election polling or of course the classic Dewey/Truman prediction where pollsters overused the sampling of that fancy technology, the telephone).

Take a look at the contributors of Travel Brilliantly (as discussed before, some impressive ideas) http://travel-brilliantly.marriott.com/your-ideas.  Is Marriott running the risk of collecting input via techniques that disproportionately values different market segments? Thank you for your input.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Does Marriott market research skew toward specific segments?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

#erc, , I was worried that you might not read this blog before you wrote it, so I will speak slowly and clearly:  If you like you post, you can keep your post; it you want to keep your status, you can keep that status as poster, however I cannot guarantee that the next time yo check into a "boring" Marriott hotel, you'll be given special treatment!

PS:  you're on Nancy's $100,000 a plate dinner circuit, so get ready for an avalanche of fund raisers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 28 Reviews

erc

(please do not take this comment too seriously as I just got out of bed - remember I'm a Left Coasters)

Friends, the most important topic that should be on your mind at this hour on a Sunday morning in January should be the NFL playoffs!!!! (luckily for me games start 3 hours earlier than where erc lives).

That said, it was a sad day when recognition set into this tired and old body that advertisers and service providers didn't give a damn about my age group!

So the answer to all this is YES - it is skewed toward certain groups. If you find yourself living in a body older than 49 years the only companies that are concerned about your likes and needs are Cadillac and Depends!!!

Now I understand that there are members (like my dear pen pal erc) that cannot participate in same activiies (being the first in line at the bagel factory, then enjoying the fruits of the journey on the patio) and must confuse the simple mind of "yours truly" with these intellectual questions.  But LET ME GET THROUGH MY FIRST CUP OF COFFEE AND BAGEL and if the game has not yet begun I will try and contribute more seriously.

(DISCLAIMER:  I live in a very small town whose size precludes it from having it's own NFL team.  Consequently my loyalties are available for purchase.  One day I am hopeful that my hometown (Los Angeles) will grow to a point where it will be able to support it's own team - until then I will await Spring Training)

APOLOGIES, BUT ONE MUST OCCUPY HIMSELF WAITING FOR KICK OFF IN 150 MINUTES)

erc Platinum

It might have been slowly, but the clearly part has thrown me - I'm lost in all of the pronouns

If this is anadyr channeling Arne a la Shirley MacLaine, then my response is: I love Marriott, please don't take away my 'special treatment' - now that would be boring. As Latka Gravas would say, "thank you veddy much".                
                 I asked my think tank for their reaction
             and they sent me a terse e-mail, "What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?
               To All Insiders 
        Ok, ok my fault on this post       

I broke Lionel Richie's
               posting rule,
               it should be
    "easy like Sunday morning".

misterchk (it's all good, you earned the Correct Answer badge - NFL team for you w/two more badges)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Right on ERC, two box seats for any DC sports team playoff game this weekend are coming your way! 

Love that helpful answer, I'll wear it with pride next to my Escoffier badges earned at White Castle!

erc Platinum

Watch it bub, as a guru time traveler ambassador, you more than any, know that those helpful answer badges, like defeat snatched from the jaws of victory, can be unmarked. You keep busting my chops about your weather and DC sports teams and you'll be eating your sliders on a tv tray and not the Escoffier Lounge.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

As many other "old farts" are doing this morning, I'm sitting in front of my TV set waiting for the first game to begin in Cinncy.  Now the Bengals haven't lost this year at home and that's kind of the way I feel about my Marriott experiences.  As long as I am comfortable staying at a particular property, I am in "hogs heaven" as they say here in SC.  My wife always fills out those Marriott feedback forms she finds at the properties and I do also when Marriott asks for feedback on-line.  Do they listen to us?  I think so, but probably not as much as they listen to the younger crowd because Marriott already has our loyalty and they know it.  We go to the same Marriott properties over and over again, some for 20 years or more.  We get treated like royalty at these individual properties.  We are not going to change now.  We feel as comfortable at these properties as the Bengals feel at home.  We are always winners there!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...