10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2014 7:01 PM by brightlybob RSS

Membership upgrade based upon future bookings possible ?

pepijnp Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the Marriott Rewards program.  Actually, I'm just new to staying at Marriott hotels too ;-)

I used to stay at hotels in different chains, and was a Platinum member at two of them in the past. (Still am Platinum at one, but that's fading out since I no longer stay with them that much...)  I got fed up with the service I received at the hotel chain I used to use for the past four years, so I decided to switch brands.  Marriott is one of the two brands I selected to try out since late 2013.

Being accustomed to the service of at least Gold or Platinum membership, it's a bit of a struggle to return to a level where you have no status at all when entering a hotel. (Last year, I stayed for approx. 100 days in hotels... you easily get annoyed by bad/no service.  Same goes for airlines too by the way, I love my status there and would not want to miss it and go back to standard economy treatment without lounges and priority lines)

But even more than just missing the extra smile at the reception desk or so, I miss the free internet and other services that come with these statuses.  I just can't remember I had to pay $10 to $20 USD a day to be able to use the internet in a hotel over the past few years... and now at Marriott, being only a Silver member I have to accept these items to be charged.

So my question is : Is there a way to request Marriott to upgrade me to at least Gold level based upon the short time I showed my loyalty to them and the fact that I have made reservations already to easily become Gold over the next few months anyway ?

Looking forward hearing from both Starwood staff as experiences from other 'Insiders'.

Pepijn

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Membership upgrade based upon future bookings possible ?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Welcome to Marriott Rewards and Insiders pepijnp,. 

The best answer to your questions are for you to call Customer Service directly and ask those folks if you can get up to Gold.  Ya never know what the agent might be able to do based upon your previous stays.

You can also get the Marriott Visa card which gives you 15 nights once you reach some spending level and those nights do count toward the next higher elite level so you can reach Gold or Platinum faster.

Best of luck in you effort, keep us updated on your travels and success.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

There was a Gold challenge a year or so back, but I don't think it's still available. You call customer service and see if they will immediately upgrade you to gold, but you need to meet a minimum number of nights over a specific period of time. It wasn't too hard to meet the requirements and you got to be a gold elite member while working on it.

I'm pretty sure this has been discontinued, so you might inquire about some sort of status matcher. If you still hold Platinum status in another chain, ask Marriott if they will match your status. You might not get all the way to platinum, but a bump to gold would be a start.

Good luck and please post your results.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

excellent advise bj and iahflyr. Welcome aboard pepijpn and as mentioned above, please keep us posted on what you are told or receive from the Marriott CS. I hope all goes well for you.

sinside Platinum

Maybe it's not advertised, or maybe it was for a limited time, but on http://themilesprofessor.com, in a June 4, 2013 post, it mentions a Marriott Rewards Platinum Status Challenge. (Not sure if this is the same program mentioned above as Taste of Elite)  I have seen other bloggers use this information successfully more recently. The post says to call Marriott at 801-468-4000 and ask for the Platinum Challenge.  According to the post, you get instant Platinum Status for the month you enroll and for an additional three months after that.  If you stay the required stays (9 stays in the four months), you earn Platinum Status for the rest of the year and the following year.  Guess it's worth a shot.

pepijnp Gold 1 Reviews

quick update : I received the taste of gold promotion... at least I have the gold level now, and quite easy goals too (six stays in 3 moths gets you a year of gold status)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Congrats

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

After several years at Plat the recession and vastly reduced workload caused me to miss Plat by a mile (well 40 nights actually) in 2012, hence busted down to Gold in 2013 when with work picking up I managed 55 nights that year. When I looked at my diary at the beginning of Jan this year I found I had 10 nights booked by end Feb so rang MR and asked what they could do. The rep looked at my records, remarked " I can see you were a Plat for several years before", put me on hold and after a couple of minutes offered me a plat taste, 9 stays over 3 months which I easily made and have just received my Plat kit and card.

So the taste is still available, though as joshm has remarked, what seemed important was that I'd previously been plat and hence had demonstrated my loyalty in the past...

I got offered the "Taste of Gold" promotion this year, but I reached Gold qualification a few days before the promotion began. A quick call to customer service ended with them offering to manually tracking my stays over the same 90 day period (April 1 - June 30) since the system will still be tracking the Taste of Gold promo. If I complete 9 stays (instead of the 6 needed to reach Gold), I'll be awarded Platinum status for the rest of the year. Current plans have me reaching 9 stays by June 22, so I should make it.

Turns out these promotions were not available as the year began, but are active now. Just goes to show how things can change in a relatively short time.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I Think they've been "available" throughout, just previously the tastes were given away to anyone that read a boarding area blog, now you need some "collateral" such as past loyalty, or strong future bookings...

even so, congrats to you, Silver to Plat in 6 months is a great outcome...

PS, congrats on being insider of month!

Thanks. I hope my plans don't change and I can reach Platinum in a couple months. It may be a challenge to keep it beyond a year, but I'll face that when it comes.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...