40 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2015 5:15 PM by TOtraveller RSS

CONCIERGE LOUNGE ACCESS CONTROL

Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

There are currently discussions relating to noise control, children control, adult control and behavior on the insider site.  As to the effect on concierge lounges I post this question and look forward to the community's views:

IS ACCESS TO THE CL'S AVAILABLE TO TOO MANY?

The lounge's purpose is not to reward.  It's available to frequent guests and those willing to pay extra to have a haven from the "masses" at hotels.  It comes with secondary benefits of limited food and beverage and business services.  These  lounges are usually located on your floor for easy access.

EVOLUTION: What they have evolved into is a gathering place for families, dinner and breakfast for the kids, and the ultimate insult - A PLAYROOM FOR THE KIDS (at some many) locations.

What if anything can be done to curtail the growth of those allowed access?

As always, I welcome all views, pro and con.    (agreeing with me is not a requirement for my friendship - LOL)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: CONCIERGE LOUNGE ACCESS CONTROL
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

You're on target about this issue.  Too many folks are allowed in the CL's who are not Elite Members.  Most CL Associates do not control access to the CLs, they basically let anyone in.  Many of the kids are allowed to roam around the CL unsupervised.  A partial answer to the problem is to have the CL Associate check Elite ID before allowing entrance to the lounge and limited the number of guests accompanying elite members.  As far as kids go, lots of luck getting parents to police their "perfect" children, it's just not going to happen.  Maybe allow only kids over a certain age into the lounge with their parents.  It's not an amusement park, it's a business lounge.  Maybe Marriott should rename the CL, e.g., "Business Lounge."  Thanks for raising the issue.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

There are a lot of infants and toddlers who are extremely well behaved.  I was in the CL at the Columbia, SC Marriott last year with only a couple and their toddler twins sitting at a table.  They were so well behaved and their parents were giving them all the attention they needed since they still had to be fed some.

There are some families that pretty much have to be on their best behavior all the time.  Military and pastoral are the 2 that mostly come to mind.

Columbia, SC has a huge military presence as does Montgomery, AL.  Nearly all of the children I see coming through Montgomery are extremely well behaved and would be so in a CL as well as the breakfast room.  (There are exceptions to the well behaved children, but none of them military that I've seen.)

I don't think the well-behaved children should be penalized.  Maybe having monitors in the CL if they aren't there already would help.

Maybe there are fewer people staying at the FS Marriotts in Europe who take advantage of the privileges in the CL than in the U.S. is why they can leave theirs open all the time.  I don't know since I've never been there, but the Canadians have a different attitude to littering and welfare than so many here in the states so I know there are differences and sometimes, some of our citizens (as well as non-citizens) have a more primitive / barbaric attitude towards their fellow man as well as themselves.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

It is a great topic because Concierge Lounges seem so busy lately.

For me, I travel mostly alone and I haven't brought anyone into the Concierge Lounge yet.  When I'm traveling with a big group, it has been at less expensive properties like Courtyard.

I've been to a few Concierge Lounges lately that were incredibly busy--especially the ones open 7 days a week like the San Francisco JW Marriott and the SF Marriott Marquis.  The crowds don't bother me that much, but I have altered my schedule to avoid the crowds (like going as soon as breakfast opens, but I'm an early riser anyway).  At night though, there is often a huge line and it is a struggle to get a seat.

I do think they should require sign-in at all Concierge Lounges because it is so easy for someone to slip in (I'm not sure how often this happens, but I have always wondered).  In terms of guests accompanying elite members, I would leave it up to the individual property since some Marriotts (like the Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile) seem more family friendly and want to extend this benefit.  Children in the Concierge Lounge is getting pretty common now and I think, for the most part, the children have behaved well (and when things did happen, the parents were very respectful of the other guests).

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I want your friendship  so I'l agree with you, control the access to the CL. It would not be difficult to put more controls on those entering the lounges without needing another CL Associate to verify a guests credentials. 

As to the crowded CL, in my opinion some of the crowding issue has been brought on by (erc is going to love this) the wonderful MR partnership with UA and those Premier Gold and higher getting MR Gold Elite.  It seems at some hotels the entire hotel has access to the CL and you need to take a number just to get water from the refrigerator. 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Let's close all the lounges except to UA Gold members and above

erc Platinum

You know, every time you highlight my name in a post, an alarm goes off in my bunk bed waking me from my beauty sleep (I'm going to have change my system).

I will allow all of you philosophical thinkers to discuss/debate/demand and desire (I attended an alliteration class this weekend) changes with the Marriott system. I, myself follow, Jim Croce's advice and not being Slim, have given up tugging on Superman's cape and instead try my best to live within the world we know as Marriott. What does that mumble jumble mean? It means like marriottmemberfromla, I attempt to schedule around the hordes. I have run into more and more Marriott's that use the CL as a marketing tool, offering CL privileges to groups in order to secure the stay (and of course the UA deal a primetime example). My viewpoint is that it's going to be what it's going to be (more and more crowded) regardless of our efforts, so I try to zig when they zag etc etc. (similar to the mad dash for waffles at SpringHills).

But I'm pulling for you. Go man, go.

Did you pass that class? I said long ago, in the first MR iteration (when I assumed another alias) that we might be given the option NOT to use the lounge, instead being given a reduced rate, breakfast among the commoners, or both, or free parking, a shoeshine, a massage, twice-daily room freshening, larger amenities, and a free i-Pad.  Just sayin' it might be a solution

erc Platinum

1) No, though the teacher taught me to talk totally differently

2) When it comes to Marriott changing based on our input, other than he being younger, smarter, and better looking, I'm the same as dejamo on that projected outcome.

3) Your suggestions are sound, logical, and practical - but given the current environment, I'd be concerned they would take away the CL and then somewhat similar to the 'death by a thousand cuts' approach we've experienced the past few years, see the tradeoff benefit erode over time, leaving us with nothing.

How about a prominent sign that says. "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here" in several languages.  Together with a DO NOT ENTER WITHOUT PROTECTIVE GEAR sign it migt keep the lounges secure.  Wat, better yet a TS-uniformed person with a wand and blue gloves!  All in the name of the sanctity of the CL! (An Anadyr public service)

As a Malaysian friend once said,

Aged ant asked an aardvark to act,
            As ally, and avoid ill impact,
            But aardvark did eat,
            The ant like a sweet,
            For no aardvark gives ants much respect.

erc Platinum

An acquaintance from Azerbaijan will soon tell me;

I bought a black banana,
              And a broken baseball bat.
              A burst balloon, a busted boat,
              A beat-up bowler hat.

I wasn’t being brainy, bright,
              or brilliant, but you see,
              My brain was boggled after
              Being bitten by a bee.

Apologies to the original poster misterchk, I couldn't resist . Now, back to your worthwhile post. The fact that anadyr made his thoughtful suggestion over a handful of years ago and it remains dormant in the Marriott dustbin of Insider thoughts, is essentially the point I was stressing - energy used to influence Marriott's interaction with Reward elite members is often trumped by the economic steamroller Marriott has become.

They did give me a hearty handshake (alliteratively of course) and a season ticket to all Redskin playoff games, so it was not for nuttin'

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Over the Christmas holiday, I was given a $46 adjustment off of my bill (that I didn't ask for, though I did inquire as to whether or not the lounge was going to be open on Christmas), because the CL was closed on Christmas day.  I was thrilled.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I have also received this courtesy. Unfortunately it doesn't address the topic.

My reason for starting this discussion was dealing with problems that exist when the lounges are open not closed.

I was responding to Anadyr's comment.

And they could also institute faux Concierge Lounges, rooms with doors that look like the real thing but when buzzed do not open!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

All silliness aside, seems like there is no easy answer to this problem.  1. we want the 'free' lounge open 7 days a week.  2. we want it uncrowded. 3.  we don't want anyone there who we think doesn't belong.  and finally,  4. we don't want kids there (more or less).  I think we have just described the Ritz Club.  Unfortunately, you pay for exclusiveness. 

Bottom line, I am in full-service Marriott properties every week and cannot remember a single instance where I left the CL out of frustration.  Was it busy a few times?  of course.  were there kids in the club?  a few times.  was I disappointed in the food selection or was much of it gone already?  more than a few times.  However,  I never actually paid for anything and whatever I received was a bonus.

Maybe my experience is the exception…..

It certainly appears to be exceptional if not the exception shoeman

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Additionally, several properties that I frequent offer CL access to certain folks that have negotiated group rates, as well as a very few that actually pay for the access.  I believe we should all get over ourselves and recognize that the CL is not an exclusive treat for elite patrons, but an added value to whomever the property decided is worthy of the benefit.

I am totally over myself, just ask my shrink

pointjunkie Platinum 2 Reviews

Unfortunately, there are parents and then there are "parents".

The first type teach their children right from wrong and will not tolerate anything else., i.e., running around restaurants, grabbing food off the buffet with bare hands...taking a bite and then putting it back (yes, I did see that).

Then there is the second type who think their children can do no wrong and give them 'free wheeling' access to anything and everything with no regard to others safety and well-being.

Access to CL is a perk that should not be abused by those who have access "just because they spend a lot of money at Marriotts".

Gee, do I sound 'old-fashioned'?  No wait...I think it's called common sense.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Finding all my discussions?  At home no one listens.  I live with three females - Wife, Daughter and Dog - AND NONE OF THEM GIVE ME THE TIME OF DAY!!!

Re: Child raising:  RIGHT ON - If my little girl  (now 19 and a college student) misbehaved like those on "exhibit" in many CL;s I would be embarrassed and expect someone to call "child services" -

One of the negatives of lounges that open on weekends is the "family attendance"....(i.e. Marriott Marquis Time Square) - all we can do is complain and go elsewhere.

Happy New Year @pointjunkie

Jsucool76 Gold

I vote that each hotel require a hotel staff member, dressed like Gandalf, to stand at the door of each CL and shout "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" to anyone who is not a member of MRI.

Problem solved

/thread

jakekath Platinum 4 Reviews

I have two teen boys but have thought the same about the CL lounge--unruly behavior by some kids as well as NO DRESS CODE.  I really don't want to see kids in pajamas in the lounge.  One would think self-policing would work but apparently not.  Gym attire shouldn't be allowed either.  Have some class! 

I've never allowed my boys in the lounge unless showered and dressed.  Wish others could consider the business guests as well. 

I've also noticed many who clearly don't belong.  Some simply walk in with a group, kids in tow, wearing what looks like hand me down clothes.  The hotels need to control access and limit to Gold and Platinum members and immediate family.   Not opposed to kids at all--but they need to be accompanied, dressed, and well behaved.

Some of what you refer as "hand me down clothes" just might be current fashion!!

Jsucool76 Gold

Why does there need to be a dress code? As long as people are clothed I don't see an issue. Dennys doesn't have a dress code, and when it comes down to it you're in there to eat breakfast or snacks or something.

Obnoxious guests I understand, but saying someone doesn't belong there because of their "hand me down" clothes or because they're not dressed in a collared shirt is ridiculous. People wear pajamas to the continental breakfasts in other hotels. They earned their status, or paid for a special room to get access to the lounge just like you did. If you don't want to see them, then don't go.

I'm not saying I would go in my pajamas or anything, I don't leave my house (or in this case hotel room) without being showered and dressed, but everyone is different. If that is what they want to do, let them do it. Don't judge people by the way they dress. It's their prerogative. 

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

What people put on is a personal choice and if they choose to wear pajamas, so be it.  We are all different in what we do, what we wear and how we make our choices.  A pet peeve of mine is not the dress code but what people are thinking when they make a choice to come down to a lounge (where people are enjoying a bite to eat or a morning coffee) and they have just finished their workout....Bravo for working out but it is most unpleasant that you chose to sit down in your sweaty clothes next to somebody that is trying to eat/drink.  What are these people thinking?

I have observed business people bring in clients to have a free bite to eat and proceed to hold a business meeting while shushing those around them.  I believe it is about respecting one another, remembering that this is a great plus for all who partake in the lounge experience and there will always be those that take excessive liberties and believe they have a right to.

I agree with shoeman1000 this is a privilege and I enjoy it.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree with you of all the issues I most dislike are the people coming full of sweet from working out. the rest I can tolerate although I do think as Marriott allows more and more people in ( United as an example) then need to monitor who gets in . I mentioned in a previous post , I was in SFO Marriott where the lounge is on ground floor and the door was wide open

I happen to appreciate a dress code.  Pajamas are generally accepted as being attire that is worn in private.  When I pay good money to spend time in a nice place where I am seeking a certain atmosphere and ambiance, like in an exclusive lounge at an expensive, upscale hotel, quite honestly, I don't want to share space with (adult) strangers who are wearing their pajamas, I don't care what their status/privilege is.  And I don't apologize for it.  And I'm not judging anyone.  I am stating a personal preference. 

One way that we can all show respect for one another is to put some clothes on.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

So true @pluto77....but I once watched a dad(dressed in business attire) come in with his daughter (maybe 14 or 15) and 3 of her girlfriends who were having a sleepover.  All were dressed in pj bottoms and skimpy cami tops. Dad proceeded to get his breakfast and read the paper, the girls were behaving terribly around the breakfast buffet and knocked down some bowls which broke.  One of the girls started to pick up the pieces but the lead girl said not to as there were people here to do that.  The whole time dad never looked up once or  made any comments, broken bowls were left and they proceeded to have their breakfast.  Talk about a sad situation and an embarrassing one for the person on duty, the girls did not apologize at all and neither did the dad.

In your story, the clothing worn appears to be only one of a number of issues.  Sad indeed.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Info needed:

I started this discussion due to the horrible experience at the Marriott Marquis Times Square.  At the time the "poster child" of CL's that resembled a circus atmosphere. (allowing huge numbers of family members including screaming kids etc).

Now I have hear rumors that strict rules have been implemented and restrictions on number of guests etc,

Does anyone have updated info??

Jsucool76 Gold

I have heard that some properties are quite strict.

I believe I heard the marquis in NYC only allows in the member and one guest at a time.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Correct.  Marriott Marquis is following the T&Cs of elite+1.  Who the +1 is can be anyone - spouse, child, parent, partner, friend, etc, but no more than +1.

Cheers

mybnj Platinum 10 Reviews

I can confirm for you with no uncertainty there are strict rules in place to access the Marriott Marquis In NYC.  So at the Marquis, it looks something like this.   At 6 30am, there is usually a line of people sometimes 5 or sometimes 20 deep awaiting the clock to strick 6 30am.  You need to show your red CL pass.   Every person holding a Red CL pass is allowed to bring 1 guest (wife, daughter, friend, whatever, just 1).   Generally speaking, I think it a good rule.  It gets crowded fast.  But I wall say, the Marquis offers a very nice CL breakfast and more options than you can ask for.    I stay there often and have personally witnessed some members holding Silver Elite cards trying to access and turned away.  The Gentlemen who is the "gatekeeper" has been the same guy for as long as I can remember.  He is professional, courteous, (strict as needed), and does his job.  I will say I would be curious to see what would happen if I showed up with my wife and 2 year old daughter.  I would think all 3 of us can get in.   As for some of the posts here about taking exception to seeing kids, children, etc.  I personally like to see family's in the CL lounge when traveling.  Makes me thing of my own family, and while I may be there in 100% business mode, its nice to see familys laughing, having fun and enjoying themselves.  Live is too short, the Marriott CL is fun, and should be enjoyed by the families of the Elite members.   Im away from the Family many nights so letting them enjoy some time with me in the CL makes sense.  Cheers

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

The one I use mostly is the JW in BKK. It can get fairly busy at breakfast, but not too bad. I use it mostly early afternoon as a place to relax with a free cup of coffee and stare out the window and let the dust of the day blow off my shoulders. Quite often there are only 2 people in the lounge that time of day.

They monitor entry. Room number required so they can check your access. Or room key to get in.

One problem with some lounges might be the tie-up with United. Everyone and their mother has elite access.

That's one of the huge issues with the UA partnership, too many get lounge access.

ndn Platinum

I agree! If our highest (Platinum) only gets their lowest (Silver), why does their second lowest (Gold) get our middle (Gold)?

I would prefer an arrangement such as any of these:

(1) Marriott Platinum --> United Silver; United 1k --> Marriott Gold

(2) Marriott Platinum --> United Gold; United Platinum -> Marriott Gold

(3) Marriott Platinum --> United Gold; United Gold --> Marriott Gold

I prefer the entire UA/Marriott thing go away.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...