27 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2014 7:49 AM by superchief1 RSS

Airlines that flew away

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here's a list from Logan Airport in Boston. We could easily add others from where we live.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
  • Re: Airlines that flew away
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Interesting list.  I wonder how many NEW airlines began flying there in the time period?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Adding to that list from BOS, I remember these airlines that flew away from IAH:

Continental

Texas International

Braniff

Eastern

Pan Am

Piedmont

TWA

Metro

Royale

British Caledonian

America West

National

ATA

Emerald

A sad list of some great airlines. 

shoeman1000, my guess is there are about as many start-up carriers as there are airlines that flew away, but in the U.S. they may be mostly regional airlines or LCC.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

If I recall correctly we flew out of Travis in 1970 on Tiger Airways, and then to the persian gulf in 1990 on Evergreen Airlines, both contract troop carriers.

Evergreen (McMinnville OR) is still around Husker

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Although they did not fly to Logan or IAH ( but did to HOU) I will add a shout out to Ozark Airlines.   I worked in the Finance Department in the early 80's

You're correct, OZ did fly to HOU as did PeoplesExpress.  NY Air had a maintenance hanger at HOU as well which then became Continental's for DC9, MD80, and B737's shop in Houston.

Not sure if cargo haulers are part of this "airlines that flew", but Flying Tigers went away.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Frontier Airlines in OKC and Tulsa area and Sun something that flew to Vegas non-stop

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I noticed that World Airways didn't make the Logan list.

I would have thought they'd be a top 10er after they dumped a DC-10 into Boston Harbor in 1982 when they couldn't stop, turned off the runway to miss the lights at the runway end and found the 30 degree water in the harbor as a resting spot. The pilots got dumped into the harbor when the nose cone fell off.......

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Amazing to think of how many of those airlines I actually flew on (more than I would have first guessed).

I remember having a long delay in Chicago (ORD) back in the very early 1970s. To alleviate my boredom, my father (who worked for Qantas) took me around to all the ticket counters and I collected a ticket folder from each airline (no idea how many, but it was a lot). None of the ticket agents could resist a cute, blond 4-year-old with an Australian accent.

I should note, this was back when going through security was relatively easy so leaving the gate area caused no difficulty. I can't imagine doing that these days.

I've long since lost all these items, but I still have the memory (just barely) of collecting them.

I'll add three other airlines just for fun that I flew (in Australia) that are no longer operating

TAA (Trans-Australia Airlines)

Ansett

Norfolk Island Airlines

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Do they still even use ticket folders?

bejacob,

That's a wonderful memory, but it's too bad you don't have some or all of the ticket jackets. 

I'm with ya nuhusker, I don't think they are even around any longer.  Every time I see a boarding pass where someone checked luggage (not me ssindc LOL) the luggage claim ticket is stuck to the back of the boarding pass.  Wonder where the baggage claim ticket goes for those using mobile boarding passes?

Platinum 28 Reviews

Sitting in my office I constantly have in my line of site on a close shelf models of two 747's of airlines that I have  circumvented the planet  on over a dozen times:

TWA

PAN AM

Furthermore I have one of the most "worthless" collections:

First class menus covering the period of 1965 until each airline's ceasing operations.

RIP - big blue and red

Yep gone and not forgotten. I have a model of the B2 on my desk but no one can see it

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I was familiar with about 16 of the 20.

Flew alot of Eastern, Piedmont, Allegheny (agony), Continental (until I had to jump out of a burning one and they lied about the cause of the fire - which started at about 25,000 feet), US Air, Northwest, TWA, United.  Here's a list from Wikipedia.  Airline bankruptcies in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a list of airlines that have filed for bankruptcy protection via Chapter 11 in the United States.[2]

Aero Sun International1982-10-15October 15, 1982
    Aero Virgin Islands1982-10-19October 19, 1982
    Aeroamerica1979-11-19November 19, 1979Ceased operations
    Air Bahia1980-12-15December 15, 1980
    Air Canada2003-04-01April 1, 20032004-09-30September 30, 2004
    Air Pennsylvania1982-03-26March 26, 1982
    Air South1982-04-02April 2, 1982
    Aloha Airlines2004-12-30December 30, 20042006-02-17February 17, 2006
    Aloha Airlines2008-03-31March 31, 2008Discontinued passenger transporting operations
    Altair Airlines1982-11-09November 9, 1982
    America West Airlines1991-06-28June 28, 19911994-08-26August 26, 1994[3][4]
    American Airlines2011-11-29November 29, 2011Filed and continues operations - Includes AMR parent company, Current CEO steps down, takes wholly owned subsidiary American Eagle Airlines into bankruptcy.
    Arrow Air2010-07-01July 1, 2010Discontinued and liquidated
    Astec Air East1982-07-08July 8, 1982
    ATA Airlines2008-04-03April 3, 2008Discontinued operations
    Braniff International1982-05-13May 13, 1982
    Cochise Airlines1982-04-16April 16, 1982
    Continental Airlines1983-09-23September 23, 1983
    Coral Air1981-07-13July 13, 1981
    Delta Air Lines2005-09-14September 14, 20052007-04-30April 30, 2007Filed, putting 4 of the top 7 carriers in the United States under bankruptcy protection, wholly owned subsidiary Comair Airlines taken into bankruptcy with Delta Airlines
    Eastern Airlines1989-03-09March 9, 1989
    Eos Airlines2008-04-26August 26, 2008Discontinued operations
    Flash Airlines2004-03-01March 1, 2004
    Florida Airlines1980-01-24January 24, 1980Ceased operations
    Frontier Airlines1986-08-26August 28, 1986
    Frontier Airlines2008-04-10April 10, 20082009-10-01October 1, 2009
    Golden Gate (Airline)1981-10-09October 9, 1981
    Indiana Airlines1980-03-03March 3, 1980
    LANICA1981-03-16March 16, 1981
    Maxjet Airways2007-12-26December 26, 2007Discontinued operations
    Mesa Airlines2010-01-05January 5, 20102011-03-11March 11, 2011
    Mexicana2010-08-28August 28, 2010Suspended operations
    Mountain West Airlines-Idaho1981-03-06March 6, 1981Ceased operations
    New York Airways1979-05-18May 18, 1979Ceased operations
    Northwest Airlines2005-09-14September 14, 20052007-05-31May 31, 2007Acquired by Delta in 2008
    Pacific Coast1981-09-11September 11, 1981
    Pan American World Airways1991-01-08January 8, 1991
    Partnair1989-10-01October 1, 1989
    Pinehurst Airlines1982-01-26January 26, 1982
    Pinnacle Airlines2012-04-02April 2, 2012Filed and continues operations, includes Pinnacle Airlines, Mesaba Airlines and remains of Colgan Airlines [5]
    Primaris Airlines2008-10-15October 15, 2008Discontinued operations
    Silver State Airlines1982-03-03March 3, 1982
    Skybus Airlines2008-04-05April 5, 2008Discontinued operations
    Sun Country Airlines2008-10-06October 6, 2008
    Swift Air Line1981-09-18September 18, 1981
    Tejas Airlines1980-12-31December 31, 1980
    Trans World Airlines2001-01-10January 10, 2001Filed as part of an acquisition by American Airlines
    United Airlines2002-12-09December 9, 20022006-02-01February 1, 2006
    US Airways2002-08-11August 11, 20022003-03-31March 31, 2003
    US Airways2004-09-12September 12, 20042005-09-27September 27, 2005Second filing, emerges in conjunction with its acquisition by America West
    Will's Air1982-08-19August 19, 1982

That is quite a list for sure.

How long ago was that fire that caused you to have to jump out of the airplane?

Well, we made a rapid decent and and emergency landing in Cleveland.  It was black with smoke by the time we landed.  Had to jump down the chutes, onto a cold tarmac for about an hour until they could figure out what to do with us, then tried to force everyone to either sign a release or go to the hospital, before they would allow us in the terminal.  Someone should have been fired.  This was about 25 years ago and much water under the bridge.  But it scared the heck out of me and most, if not all, at the time.

I'm sure it would.  I don't even remember that incident, but regardless there is no excuse for leaving passengers on the ramp or near a runway for that period of time let alone ask to sign anything.

It was on the front page of the Cleveland Plain Dealer but not sure if it made it beyond that.  Agreed, there was no reason to not immediately get us in the terminal.  They were kind enough to cover a dry cleaning bill for all my clothes, since everything smelled like a toxic cloud of plastic smoke.  I flew another airline home.

But they were really good from the mid 90's until the year Mr. Slimsek took over from Larry Kellner and then, well we know the rest.

I used to fly Continental alot.  But not after that.  They told us onsite and afterwards that it was a lighter in someone's carry on that caught fire in the overhead.  I tracked down the person in the FAA responsible for all maintenance research and reporting for Continental and he told me a lighting ballast relay overheaded and caught fire.  I was  on the d-e-f side of aisle 16 and the fire was in the overhead over the a-b-c side of 16.  As soon as we hit the runway, the yahoos over the wings pushed out the emergency doors, creating considerable fuel for the fire - and it was cold.

That is a horrible thing to do, open the doors to bring in a lot more air.

It was pure fear that caused the action, but it just wasn't the right thing to do.

Exactly.  It is also not right for them to fabricate something as you indicate.

Ya know, I think it's time to head over to Bagliani's in Hammonton for some cheese, sausage and a sub!

I flew Will's Air once and that was enough!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Airlines that flew away from HNL are...

Aloha Airlines

Mahalo Airlines

Discovery Airways

superchief1 Platinum

I have flown many of them. The ones I miss the most are:

Midwest Express

Piedmont

Ozark

TWA pre Carl Icahn

I recall Ozark had a flight from STL to ORD in the morning at the same time that TWA (during Carl Icahn) had 2 flights. TWA's flights were always at the farthest gates and often were delayed or cancelled. the Ozark flight was almost always on time and at the closest gate.

I flew Piedmont a lot when I lived in GSP. They had excellent service and were usually on time. US Scare ruined that airline and never gave me credit for my lifetime Piedmont miles.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...