13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2014 1:15 PM by zachary RSS

Planning First Trip w/ Points - Rome

zachary Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I am a Marriott platinum elite member and premier card holder. I managed to rack up over 300K points since April. My wife and I want to go explore Rome. Some hotels let me pay in points, but some do not. I was wondering, if you purchase a travel package (7nights+miles), can it be redeemed at the hotels that do not accept points? This would give us more options of Marriott hotels within Rome. We could use some advice from travelers on Marriott's within Rome. We are specifically going to experience the history of the city.

Also, are travel packages the best bang for your buck?

I could also use some advice on these:

- If you spend your points, does it reduce your status?

- Where can you see your elite status credits/points?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Planning First Trip w/ Points - Rome
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

zachary,

Hi and welcome to Insiders!  I'll try to answer some of your questions and maybe some other Insiders can jump in and offer input.  I've never used the points packages but its my understanding that you would only be able to use the hotel points at the properties which are accepting the points.  tker  is an expert Insider with the travel packages and maybe able to offer some advice there.

Using Points to pay for a stay does not reduce your status however you will not earn elite night credits towards renewing your status when you pay for a stay with points.  You can view your Elite Status and points activity by logging into Marriott.com  and click on the "My Account" option in the upper right hand corner.

While you are on the Insiders website you may want to perform a search on Rome.  There are lots of previous discussions, reviews, and travel tips here on the Insiders site.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Hello and welcome! Thanks to vaboy for the endorsement!

I wrote the blog linked below. Comprehensive use of travel packages in the Marriott family.

Travel Package Overview

I do need to clarify one item. Using a Travel Package IS the same as using points. You are getting (7) nights to use at ONE property consecutively. To book them, the hotel must have award (points) availability for the same dates.

You also mentioned that some hotels do not accept points. Which properties do you mean? A very limited few are excluded, but almost all do-without blackout dates. They are capacity controlled. We have used a Travel Package at the Grand Flora in room. Three rooms at the same time. (Had my mom and kids with us.) We used the air miles to get us all there.

You can see your points and status when you login to marriott.com and click on your account. Your status remains the same as you utilize points. You maintain status with paid stays that apply to next year.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

zachary Platinum

Thanks Tker. I must have been putting in something weird that I was not seeing the Flora available. I'll read up on your blog

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

I think the Autograph hotels might be excluded. The Grand Flora is just awesome. But, you have to have a travel package category that matches the hotel you are seeking. There are several categories available in Rome.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

When are you planning on visiting Rome? 

zachary Platinum

I want to go in March. Looks like my only option is the CY Rome Central Park for availability.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Go to Grand Flora!

If you need help getting in there, let me know!

spreadsheet Platinum 2 Reviews

Should we stay 5 nights at Grand Floral to take advantage of the 5th consecutive night being free on points? Can day trips be the way to get to the other cities in Rome or should we pursue Marriots in Florence and other cities?

I was able to book the Grand Flora for April, but did it last May.  It goes fast.

zachary Platinum

I sent you a pm. It seems all booked up but of you can help I am all ears

I checked my reservation and it does state the room is non-smoking.  That would be otherwise a miserable week.  We stayed in the courtyard in Venice and I believe the hotel was all non-smoking, except the bar area.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Regarding the Grand Flora, I've only stayed there once - about two years ago - but I was surprised to find, upon arrival, that they only had two non-smoking floors in the hotel. Marriott Hotels traditionally are non-smoking, but this is not always the case in Europe. You will perhaps notice that even though you list this on your profile the reservation will probably not "guarantee" the requests. Both my wife and I are non-smokers, but this might not be too much of a problem for other travelers.

zachary Platinum

One more question on this:)

When I look at the Grand Flora, there are no rooms available when redeeming points, but if I unchecked redeem points, all the days are available. If  I buy the travel package and redeem  the vouchers, will I be allowed to redeem for any days or just days available to points? I am hoping there is a work around

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...