6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2014 2:15 PM by madmax RSS

San Antonio Missions

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We spent a very nice day visiting "the chain of missions established along the San Antonio River in the 1700's" as described in the pamphlet distributed by the National Park Service.  On previous trips, we had visited the ones closest to downtown, so we decided to venture further away on this trip.  The mission Rancho de las Cabras is located about 23 miles from downtown and requires reservations so we were unable to visit this one.  We started at  Mission San Juan Capistrano which was moved to its present location on the San Antonio River in 1731.  When we arrived, we were the only visitors so it was very serene.

This tree was incredibly beautiful when backlit.

backlit tree.jpg

The composition of the materials in the photo below was interesting.  I was very surprised when I

went around the corner and discovered that it was the public bathroom.

br san juan.jpg

Christmas music was playing when we visited Espada pictured below.  According to the brochure distributed by

the National Park Service. "some say the broken arch over the Mission Espada doorway is a builder's mistake, but

many find beauty in how it inverts the line you expect".

San Juan.jpg

The Espada Aqueduct, 2-centuries-old, was interesting to view.  These aqueducts along the San Antonio River ensured

the crops had sufficient water.

acequia 1.jpg

Acequia 2.jpg

The visitor center is located on the grounds of the San Jose Mission.  We viewed a short film in the theatre about the

people who lived in the missions.  The mission is lovely.

san jose 2.jpg

san jose 1.jpg

Our final stop on the Mission Trail was Concepcion.

concepcion.jpg

The first mission on the San Antonio River, Mission San Antonio de Valero, is commonly known as the Alamo.  It was founded in 1718 and has been cared for by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas since 1905.  I hope to add pictures that my husband took of the Alamo soon.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Antonio, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter
  • Re: San Antonio Missions
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Beautiful photos and interesting/educational narrative.  Thank you for posting.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

razorback,

as bpelican stated, "The are beautiful photo's and interesting/educational narrative"  Thank -you for posting!

Planning a trip to San Antonio, and will look forward to new photo's of the Alamo.  I do want to share with you a photo of The Texas Embassy in London.  I am a lover of Texas and really appreciate this information.  Have only been to San Antonio once, but really hope to get back soon!

IMG_0246.JPG

On a trip to London, I met four U of Texas young ladies at this place, by T Square!  "If I was only 40 years younger, had my health, and was single "

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Thanks for posting razor. Beautiful depiction of mission times.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Thanks, madmax.  I'm so glad I picked up the National Park Service brochures.  They were full of interesting information.  This was a rather spur of the moment trip, so I didn't have a lot of time to prepare for our sightseeing.  I learn so much when I am planning a trip. 

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I must admit when visiting the Alamo, I was very disappointed. It was much smaller and shorter walls than I expected for a fort. It was in the middle of a residential area where one could easily feel very unsafe as all  windows on all the houses were covered with bars. This was when I was much younger and not so travel savoy as one might say. If I had done some better research of the area and saw more than that one mission, I think I would have come away with a better feel of what the Alamo and other missions were all about. What you show is very much different than what I did and I thank you for the enlightenment.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Razorbackfan,

Terrific expose.  The missions are beautiful, and great photos.  I appreciated learning some new and fascinating things about the San Antonio area.  I will add the Mission Trail to the list of must see San Antonio attractions.

Thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...