48 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2014 12:29 PM by eb5147 RSS

Amateur Night-Not A Poll :-)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

All,

A friend who formerly worked for the FBI and another who currently works for the California Highway Patrol told me that they refer to New Year's Eve as "Amateur Night," the time when otherwise sensible people imbibe too much and do bad things on the road to themselves and others. And lest anyone draw inappropriate conclusions, neither has ever arrested me! (that's my story at least)

Madame Anadyr and I have gotten to the stage that we stay in at the Chateau (known locally as Le Grande Dump) New Year's Eve and watch the Times Square ball drop at 9pm our time, sharing a bottle or box of whatever is on hand. The servants are off to bed or their second jobs, or polishing the fleet, so we have the place to ourselves.

Much safer and then there's the much-cheaper-angle too.

A friend invited us to go to the Monterey Peninsula Country Club (MPCC), which given the age of its members, decided that 9 was the time to have the toast, and then go home!  Tempting and about three quarters of a mile from the casa. But...

We demurred, citing the amateur night consideration and adding that Pebble Beach, where MPCC is located, is famous for having no, and zilch, nada, zip street lights, with winding roads with stray deer on them, and road signs the size of Forever Postage Stamps.  Driving there at night Jill, our GPS, often gives up and announces, "Sorry, you're on your own buddy." She then goes to sleep, perchance to dream or worse yet, to update her maps!

So here is to a safe and sound celebration this December 31st. May all Insiders be safe, so that we (or me at least) can continue to bloviate in the New Year.

As Robbie Burns famously said:

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne!

Happy New Year

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Pebble Beach, California, USA
  • Re: Amateur Night-Not A Poll :-)
    Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

We have always called it Amateur Night as well.  Happy New Year to you too!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Must be a  Pittsburgh thing?

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

A Pennsylvania thing, at least!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Happy New Year to you!  I think everyone has heard the term 'ammeter night'.  sometimes it is used at the local club, oftentimes at the local karaoke bar, and ALWAYS in reference to New Years Eve.  It is a great night to snuggle up on the couch and enjoy your partners company for the evening. 

Ammeter for sure

anadyr

thanks so much for the spell check! 

Ammeters are real things, shockingly.

did not mean to shock you……..

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Nope.  I hadn't.

Looking it up, I saw that I had always put a "p" in there when my father used them, which was all the time for his working on motors and electrical things.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Anadyr and all,

I have honestly never heard of amateur night, mayhaps because I have always been a fuddy duddy when it comes to NYE.  I did however enjoy jasper100's videos of last NYE in Times Square.  Very exciting stuff.  Nonetheless for myself, I would rather hang out at home with the fam, a good movie and some snacks and then head off to a warm, soft bed just in time to fall asleep and miss all of the ruckus.  Alas, midnight is simply past my bedtime.

New Years Day is for putting the house back in order after Christmas. 

January is for when everything under heaven is wrapped in blankets white, while dreaming sweet dreams of days slowly growing longer, waiting for life to re-enter when Spring makes all things new again.

Wishing  everyone happiness, health and a renewed sense of wonder in this coming year.

Same to you and the family!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto,

Agree with anadyr,  "The same to you and your family"!

We also "Stay in" on New Years!

We could Skpe on NYE Jerry, kind of an informal Insiders get together. I'll bring the bubbly.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Have a Happy Prosperous New Year, Pluto.  The best to you and yours!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We normally are just getting back into town on New Years Eve, grab the car from the airport parking garage and dash to the casa' to get completely away from amateur night.  This year is different as we are staying home between the holidays so the grill will be fired up (of course), rumor has it grilled prime rib is being asked for so might as well send off 2013, with a less than healthy meal while enjoying some "meds" as jerrycoin will no doubt have prescribed!  

Happy New Year to all Insiders, have a safe and blessed 2014.

Thanks.  I am favoring a Low Country Boil, not to be confused with a rabid Clemson fan after a bid loss! And my publisher is located in Charleston SC!!!

A low Country boil sounds like a great idea!  shrimp, clams, and oysters would be a great way to bring in the new year. 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

And grits!

And key lime pie at Shem Creek.  :-)

http://www.shemcreekbarandgrill.com/ordereze/Menu/0/Menus.aspx

I don't see desserts on this menu, but I was sure we had it there.

I was just at Shem Creek bar and grill about two weeks or so ago and the shrimp and grits is still the best I've ever had.

It is a good restaurant, and crowded with reason.  My husband and son had the best looking pot of low country boil between them, though.  I don't remember what I had except the key lime pie.

Will have to try Shem Creek next time we're in Charleston.  Love Shrimp and Grits!

politicalman Gold 3 Reviews

Just back from Charleston.  If you are in historic area you cannot do better than Poogan's Porch  Poogan's Porch Restaurant Charleston, South Carolina

And if you are in North Charleston and like one meat three type meals one of the best Soul Food restaurants I have eaten at in a long time is  Nigel's Good Food

Thanks for the tips.  I'll definitely try them next visit to Charleston.

well, while we're at it, let me recommend a great place for a low country BBQ buffet...Kelly's on Hwy 78 in Summerville.  Great pulled pork, mustard sauce on the side, hash and rice, good country sides, pork rinds down towards the end of the buffet, and of course sweet tea.  We've been eating at Kelly's for at least 30 years and even though I'm not a fan of buffets, it's very good.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/perfectly-franks-summerville?nb=1

Have you ever eaten at Perfectly Franks?  We've wanted to go there since seeing it on TV, but we haven't been by Summerville since 2010.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/slightly-north-of-broad-charleston?hrid=V3BQ2_vdgjWFwpRjHJWPzA&nb=1

Saw this place mentioned as one of biggest bang for the buck and thought I'd post it.

eb, I havent been to Perfectly Franks.  I like hot dogs at baseball games and Sonic.  The other place I haven't heard of.  I don't go downtown much anymore.  But I do still spend time at the Windjammer club and VFW on Isle of Palms.

I was reading that they deep fry Nathan's Franks, my favorite brand.  Guy showcased PF on his road food show.

I don't watch his show very often since RI quit getting it and just about all the good channels a couple of years ago when they got the satelite that goes out or at least messes up every time we turn around.

Whatever they say about Dish network, I wouldn't want to take the $50 for recommending it.

eb

good call on Nathans hotdogs!  we had the smokey version of them at our christmas morning breakfast.  My Jewish friends prefer Hebrew National, but I like Nathans.

Hebrew National is my 2nd favorite brand, but Nathan's is first.  There is a Nathan's Hot Dog place in MB, too.

http://www.mapquest.com/places/nathans-famous-hot-dogs-myrtle-beach-sc-273574587

It's at 1401 S. King's Hwy. on the eastern side of the hwy.  Not very good write-ups on it, though.

I'd rather just go to Sam's or Costco and buy them rather than go to get one like they offer there.  I like the Veggie Fries that are sold at Sam's, too.  The ones at Big Lots are a cheaper price and quality than the ones at Sam's Club.

BTW, did you know they also have a liquor store attached to Sam's at MB?  It's the only place we've noticed one being part of Sam's.

Out here in CA every Costco and Sam's Club sells booze, wine and beer.

only wine and beer in texas and north carolina.  however, din florida costco has liquor stores attached….

They have wine in all the stores I've been in, but not the liquor.  That's interesting about CA.  Doesn't surprise me since liquor laws are so different everywhere.

Maybe wine can be sold on Sundays in SC now while liquor can't so they have to separate them.  I have been to the Sam's in upstate SC in years and they changed a lot of blue laws since then.

When the Volstead Act was repealed in the 1930s CA took it seriously, removing virtually all restrictions and Blue Laws (as if there were any restrictions in place out here anyway!) Grape growers found out that people bought their fruit to make homemade wine, so profits actually went up in the first few years. Grapes are an agricultural product that may or may not become wine, which bolstered California's grape growers arguments for relief from the 18th amendment.  There was an attempt in the State Legislature to prevent full implementation of the Act and the Amendment, but it was denied. Thus, legal remedies notwithstanding, California's wine growing industry struggled but survived the era of Prohibition.

Interesting.  And now medicinal marijuana is probably already past that point and is safe and there to stay.

In our county, the Board of Supervisors banned the growing of medical marijuana (at the behest of the Sheriff).  Too much crime revolving around it.  Also banned the selling of it, but I think that was more of a political move than anything.  And of course, that could all change in time.

As a revenue source it might flourish?

If it's taxed, perhaps?

Yes Denver started that as I recall.

Nathans - gotta love em, They hired guys to wear long white coats at the stand a Coney Island when they started, fooling the customers into thinking that medical folks, docs and such, were big advocates.

That IS funny. Kind of reminds me of restaurants that have extra cars parked in front to make people think they're more popular than they are.  

Nothing like a Nathan's Dog.  They're even selling them at a SUNOCO gas station off I95 In SC just before you hit GA.  Although buying them there makes me a little apprehensive. 

My type of meal is Mexican.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/61/660966/restaurant/West-Ashley/Senor-Tequila-Charleston

We found this Mexican food restaurant when we stayed in Lodge Alley for a week in 2012 the week of St. Patrick's Day (which I don't recommend it even though it's popular) and this is where Brian and I try to eat when we're near Charleston now.  It's harder to find good Mexican food in SC than it is to find good seafood.

There's a Total Wine store in the mall on the corner and that name is easier for me to remember than the Mexican name.  I just remember the area and the name when I hear it.

IAHFLYR,

Yes we do enjoy some "Home Med's" for New Years Eve! 

There is nothing like watching a "Mr. Ed Marathon", and getting your "Blood pressure reduced along with lowering your cholesterol down" with some of "Granny's Home Remedies"( Beverly Hillbillies, that is!)  BTW, this current episode of Mr. Ed had Dear Abbey, and was a riot!  Mr. Ed did not want to be "Gounded" and wanted to "Sow his wild oats"! 

Haven't had this much fun since Rome!

Agreed --- Mr Ed was and is a good one.

anadyr,

Thanks, i can't stop laughing!  Why are shows from 1964 so simple and so funny?

Ahh, nostalgia for a time when we were young and a time when things were perceived to be simpler (and gas was in the double figures, movies and haircuts were 25 cents).  Ahh, yes, how sweet it was!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

jerrycoin,

I found the Mr. Ed Marathon while doing some channel flipping waiting for the basketball game last night, might have to go out and get some of those videos along with Andy Griffith, McHale's Navy and if I can find any of Johnny Carson and Karnak!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...