20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2013 10:56 AM by GemPrincess RSS

I knew it!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: I knew it!
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm not much of a reader, but after spending time in a deer stand I can sure relate.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Can't yor let the deer sit down

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I do better than that...I let them lie down for a while before hanging by hind legs.  Either way, they never complain.

erc Platinum

All I know is that after reading a jerrycoin restaurant write up or a kharada46 food album, I'm hungrier.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

erc,

The La Pergola, in Rome was a really special experience!  Had some wonderful meals this year, but this was the most memorable.  Will always remember how nice and professional the staff was!

IMG_3514.JPG

IMG_3517.JPG

Erc, the dining is in a Hilton, so sorry it was not a Marriott!  But a wonderful place to dine!  Thank-you for the mention, I really love fine food and wonderful company!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Absolutely beautiful, Jerry!

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I have always been a voracious reader, but now I can justify my reading (when I should be cleaning up the house, doing laundry, using the elliptical, finishing up some work, etc.) by explaining to my exasperated husband that I'm boosting my brain function!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

anadyr

Great article!

Sledchick completely agree with you about preferring a book, and neglecting everything else.

And Pompeii is one of my favorite books!

A real cliff hanger, which also prepared me for my visit to Naples and the drive down the Amalfi Coast.  Also learned alot about aquaducts, which I was just reflecting on in the write-up on Trevi Fountain which is a terminus for 2 aquaducts.

Amen to that!!!

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I haven't read Pompeii yet but sounds like I need to add it to my list!

Pompeii is an amazing book (as is Vesuvius), only matched by their original sites.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I wouldn't know how to function if I didn't have a book to read.

Anytime I'm out to eat by myself, I've got my e-reader with me. Traveling the way I do, it is essential. Gotta have something to read, always.

Ditto.  I don't read history books when I travel, but mysteries, and usually take my kindle.  My history books are still real book books. But I simply couldn't live without books.  They gave me the life I have and helped me live in other cultures even before I'd ever ventured outside of Pennsylvania.

ProfChiara

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

me too!  I read a novel every 2 weeks or so.  love mysteries.  reading the new Patterson book presently.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Readers!!!  Don't forget about GemPrincess 's excellent compilation of travel reading suggestions:

Re: Favorite Travel Reading (Recommendations from many MRI)

Since we're on the topic, my favorite books from 2013 that were set in interesting places include:

• Adam Johnson, The Orphan Master's Son (Korea)
    • Corrie ten Boom, The Hiding Place (Haarem, Holland)
    • Paul Grossman, The Sleepwalkers (Berlin)
    • Rockwell Kent, Wilderness (Alaska)
    • Lopez Lomong, Running for My Life (Kenya, Sudan, etc.)
    • David Mitchell, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet (Japan)
    • Barbara Shapiro, The Art Forger (Boston - it's a very Boston book)
    • Joe Simpson, Touching the Void (Andes, Peru)

For DC folks and Moscovites (Moscowfiles?) I recommend a new novel,  "You Are One of Them,"by Eliott Holt. Writing her first novel in first person is a double challenge, and she has been rewarded for it by garner several awards.

I have been going through the beginning winter of desperation as I finished the last of Donna Leon's mysteries based in Venice.  I downloaded a bunch of other French and Italian based mystery series, but am finding my reading for my second semester courses (all new) as interesting.  Happily, I just got an email from amazon that Donna Leon has a new Brunetti mystery coming out in February.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Thanx ssindc!

I will add your suggestions to the list.

Together we will learn more about the world which adds to the enjoyment of our trips, and improves our minds!

I wonder if participating in MI has the same effect as reading a book?

Maybe Marriott should provide a grant for a study on this.  Get the folks that did the study on reading Pompeii to test us after our MI participatino???

We need a federal subsidy, so let me work on that Princess.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Very interesting.  Thanks for the post and the message it carries.  While I'm not surprised, it's good to have some objective evidence to reinforce ones beliefs.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...