14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2013 6:15 PM by arkwright RSS

Short History of Hotels: Holiday Reading (from the Economist)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

If you're active on this site, my guess is you'll find this article from the Economist, interesting.

A short history of hotels: Be my guest | The Economist

It's a different perspective....

The author suggests there are (or have been) three epochs (or ages) of hotels. I must say, I'm not sanguine about the author's prediction that the next era of hotels will be more experimental and experiential - probably because I'm getting old.

Curious to know if folks agree with the author....

Apologies if it was previously posted....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Short History of Hotels: Holiday Reading (from the Economist)
    erc Platinum

First off an editorial comment: I traded in a scrap pile of US Air points last year for magazine subscriptions and the Economist was one of them. Whew, a superb magazine that I'm actually relieved my subscription is ending soon - what a brainfreeze. I'm not to the stage of wanting to know what's new with Kim and Kanye, but I tell ya', this magazine helps you appreciate how a new President feels once he takes over the White House. There are 196 countries in the world and it seems every week there is an uprising or genocide in over 100 of them and the Economist is there writing about at least 25 each week - ouch! I did enjoy the British flavor, it made me feel like I was bonding with arkwrightsg1974, and chrisf  with its colloquialisms (even in your article, it described plongeur, which of course I didn't know what it was, as a kitchen dogsbody - which I didn't know was what us Yanks call a gofer).

I believe the article accurately captures the inevitable trend (which will also, no doubt eventually morph into a newer trend later, they even warn it may be a fad), but either way I think us at Insiders are best equip to deal with whatever the market dominating chains throw at us. One thing IMO that will not change in my traveling future, is the off balance sheet financing of the business. The high returns of 'shooting fish in a barrel' contracts dictate that all cash be plowed into more management agreements and not lower/later return real estate. These contracts lead to more arms length relations between a Marriott and an operator and we have discussed this in Insiders, our growing need to relate at the property level to secure our optimal travel outcome.
    Here, once again represents Insiders (and FlyerTalk) enormous potential, the sharing of travel information about specific markets. As Marriott tightens the Rewards programs our policy questions become fewer and fewer (it is, what it is) and our justifiable moaning becomes less frequent due to the realization that it seldom, if ever leads anywhere (need evidence?, take a quick glance at this nugget on Time Shares from three and a half years ago that expert Insiders like superchief1 and tef6178 have been insightfully highlighting for years  http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/5554#5554 and of course there are many other threads in the forum that demonstrate similar effort/result ratios) then our focus of the forum effectively turns to the sharing of travel experiences (and to Marriott's and NathalieF's credit, so far, regardless of the lodging provider). As the refreshingly effective merb and The specified item was not found. get stronger and stronger at promptly answering policy questions, this should also draw more participants as we try to rebound from a significant participant decline in a valuable travel weapon (courtesy of 42 Story, hotel reviews, and Marriott policy chasing away lifetime members - it's not a coincidence that the MegaBonus post for the Fall Offer had over 16,000 views while the most recent post for the Spring offer netted only 500 views and far less interaction).
    As someone whose road warrior travel days were mostly out of pocket entrepreneurial stays and sports tournament/minor league baseball type properties (i.e. breakfast included) I am thrilled to read about the higher level of stays we talk about in this forum. Just as I'm more impressed with a great tasting $8 cigar than a unworldly fantastic $50 cigar, I'm ok missing out on Travel and Leisure's Top Ten Hotels in the World, all coming in around $500 a pop - give me the terrific JW Marriott Indy, or the fantastic Chicago River SpringHill at a deal and I couldn't be happier, and thus my essay on why I love Insiders. We can handle Ian, Arne, and Blackstone and all that they throw at us, by sharing our experience and our newly discovered knowledge. Keep on keepin' on Insiders.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

The beauty of Marriott Rewards Insiders is that it is undefinable: at times it is specific to a place, at other times it generates a wide range of opinions, and it is never boring.  I too give communitymanager, merb and joshm.high marks for steering the ship while avoiding the shoals.

Lest I forget,  michellel, Heather, Sarah, and Andrew the latter three from times past, who stood with us as Ambassadors through good times and bad times since 2008.

Thanks, and thanks to the thousands of MRI folks who keep me from doing much but perusing this site

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Very we'll-said, erc.  I find myself frequenting properties (mostly Marriott) that I have patronized for years and where I am more of a family member than a guest.  That makes me more of an old fogy I guess than a trend setter, but I really don't care as it works for me.

As usual the Economist is spot on with excellent writing and a minimum of filler!  Thanks for this.  One addendum, the indefatigable Ho Chi Minh, yes that one, was a busboy at the Boston Parker House Hotel in the last century.  If he'd had bigger tips...

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Anadyr,

An addendum to your addendum:

I believe the said Ho Chi Minh also turned up at The Ritz in Paris, where he worked as a "plongeur" during the Versailles Peace Conference. ERC might be interested to note that, whatever his job description specified (in French or English), did not prevent him from lobbying on behalf of the now Vietnam to get the colonial powers removed. At that time, he predictably failed, but we know only too well what happened later. Interestingly, he was then very much a "nationalist"  - the "communist" label was a later addition. On reflection, I sometimes wonder whether 20th century history might have been a little different had the major Western powers noted this distinction as they came to consider how best to react to protest movements around the globe.

ERC: be very careful: many a potentially illustrious career has been blighted by even the thought of "bonding" with Arkwright.

A prosperous and safe New Year to all,

Arkwright

erc Platinum

As usual, good insights. I've coached young men who are now officers and my biggest concern for their safety is civilian leadership and goals formed by political ambition rather than security.

ERC: be very careful: many a potentially illustrious career has been blighted by even the thought of "bonding" with Arkwright.

Then I'm the man for the job, because I have no career, although I'm still struggling to get my arms around the whole 'running between wickets' concept .  Happy New Year.

Good article ssindc, please continue the Economist debriefings while I rest my brain in '14 - thanks

I nominate you dear sir, as the purveyor of most wisdom on this site.  I one time free viewing of all my heretofore under-appreciated posts is the prize.  Don't squander this opportunity.

May 2014 bring happiness and good adventure to you and yours.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Regardless of where Ho Chi Minh has been, he's where he deserves to be now.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

"In the future the hotel may offer neither bland uniformity nor authentic warmth but a proliferating number of experimental worlds in which to insert yourself. Who do you want to be next time you hand over your passport and check in?"

Interesting.  That's kind of been going on for a while since my husband brought me literature back from some northern fantasy hotels years ago.  Theme rooms abounded like beds made of prize cars or pianos.  Harem rooms were common.  So many fantasies available.

Now, there is at least one resort that has different modes of living like the nomadic yurts, but with all the conveniences of modern living.

Come to think of it, there are most of these aspects in most hotels we stay at nowadays.  Not many people want to stay in the old drive up to the door styles that I grew up with.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...