11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2013 9:38 PM by bpelican RSS

Venice II: Night

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here are a bunch of photos I took of Venice at night at Christmastime.  The quality isn't always great because of low light, but you get the idea.

IMG_1699_1.JPGIMG_1702_1.JPGIMG_1804_1.JPGIMG_1805_1.JPGIMG_1833_2.JPGIMG_1817_1.JPGIMG_1838_1.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Venice II: Night
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

They are beautiful pics professor. I've never had the urge to go to Italy until I started following this site and have seen such beautiful pics of the places so many have seen. I had it way down on my bucket list but it has since moved up somewhat due to the great pics and information provided by the insiders. Thank all of you for such great depictions not only of Italy but of all the places you have traveled. And may the 2014 traveling year be as good for everyone as it was this year.

Happy year of the horse!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks, madmax!  Italy is astonishingly beautiful, with each part of it being so very different from other parts -- Venice is nothing like Rome or Florence/Siena and vice versa and the very south is the complete opposite of the Alpine north.  The food differences are also amazing.  And while I have spent far more time in France (and find the people generally nice), I have found Italians to be among the most welcoming of Europeans -- along with Greeks.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

The "Food" differences is truly amazing in Italy!

When in Rome, "Pasta" was not much of a feature on the menu's, but Northern Italy it was featured more often.

Thank-you for the wonderful photo's!

Hi Jerry,

While you can certainly get pasta in Venice (and pizza), because of its location the best thing to order, especially for freshness and local recipes, is seafood.  And I can attest how good it is!

Professor,

Did you get any information on a new JW Marriott opening in Venice?

Nope - do tell!  I stayed at the Boscolo on one occasion, but felt it was overpriced (except I used points) and WAY out of the center of things (it's near Fondamente Nove, the nearest stop to go to Murano, and one of my two favorite restaurants, Algiubagio).  But it's not near anything else.

If Marriott gets into the Venice market in a serious way, I think they have to do so like Westin and to a lesser degree Hilton has.  The best way is to purchase (this is how the Rava Giustiniani became the Pesaro Palace Hotel) a building on the Grand Canal and completely refurbish it.  Then (while I have never stayed at them nor want to as long as I can afford Pesaro) it might compete with the grand hotels of Venice.

But tell me more!

Professor,

I will have to find the recent post that indicated a JW being built in Venice!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hey Prof.

Nice pics!  thanks for sharing.

shoeman

Hi Shoeman,

I'll bore you with a few more sets in the next few days -- but I did some things I hadn't in a long time -- I went up to the top of the campanile (thank God it has an elevator!) and took photos of all of Venice, got the interior of San Marco for the first time, and some great pics of the canal.

Happy New Year!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Prof

never a bore, always interesting, educational, and revealing.  thanks again.

Happy, Healthy, and prosperous New Year to you as well.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Great photos Professor.  The lack of light just added to their character if that makes any sense.  Thank you for posting them.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...