15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2013 12:55 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

Venice II: Staying

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here's the first of a series of posts I will have of photos of Venice in December.  This is of the Pesaro Palace, a renovated version of the historical Ravà Giustiniani.  I won't post a hotel review, since that would be inappropriate here, but the inside and garden is so beautiful, and located right at the Ca' d'Oro stop on the Grand Canal, so no worries for disabled people like me. The first three are of the lobby and garden and the last three of my room.IMG_1676_1.JPGIMG_1678_1.JPGIMG_1920_1.JPGIMG_1673_1.JPGIMG_1905_1.JPGIMG_1695_1.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Venice II: Staying
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Just beautiful!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

This looks like a place where one could feel very pampered. Thanks for sharing.

Indeed I was!  You feel like you're living (not staying or visiting) in Venice centuries ago, especially when there's hardly anyone in the city but the 65,000 inhabitants.  And the breakfast spread (free) is to die for -- or of, if you eat too much of it.  And like I said, it cost me less than the Venice Courtyard airport, though that changes significantly by the season.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Your photos are spectacular.  I always enjoy them.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Oh, I SO want to visit this hotel!  Thank you.

You can see both of my reviews on tripadvisor if you want (with more pics from the first suite). I just reviewed it again today (as ProfT) but you can read (and see) my first stay from last January:

My favorite hotel in Venice - Review of Hotel Pesaro Palace, City of Venice, Italy - TripAdvisor

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Prof

you did it again!  you made me wish I was a guest of yours on one of your journeys.  Thanks so much for sharing the pics.  The Hotel looks amazing.

shoeman

Thanks, Shoeman!  I was a tour guide once for Colby/Bates/Bowdoin in 2002 to Tuscany and Umbria.  I never thought I could do it (being an introvert) but it turned out they were a whole lot of fun and the administrative parts were taken care of by the college and its Italian representatives.

The Pesaro is pretty much one of a kind as far as I'm concerned.  I've never stayed at the Gritti, the Danieli, or Bauer hotels, and even adjoining Ca' Sagredo costs almost twice as much.  But for the first three I mentioned, they are on the lagoon or just at its entrance, and the Grand Canal (especially in Cannaregio) is so much more beautiful and uplifting. At least that's my opinion.  The Pesaro's rates go up in summer, but if you're only going to Venice once, I can't say enough about it.  (Though I guess I have.)  The most recent review should appear in the next couple of days.

Cheers, ProfChiara (aka ProfT)

Professor,

Did you make it to "Harry's Bar" in Venice? 

Saw it once, but never made it inside.  Did make the one in Rome, and it was unique!

BTW,  when are you going back to Venice in 2014?  I think you could "Lead a tour" for MRI's!

Jerry,

You are not going to believe this but I have never managed to find Harry's Bar.  I know where it is supposed to be (close to the San Zaccaria Vallaresso vaporetto stop), yet I have never seen it even though I've looked. Maybe they are hiding its overt appearance for some reason. 

In any case, I have had good but most expensive Bellini's elsewhere (like the Café Florian at night).

Did you like Harry's Bar in Rome?  I ate there twice and didn't like the food.  But maybe I just should have had a Bellini!

I'm not sure all my trips for the coming year, but made a few reservations based on Delta's increased miles for business class (which I can cancel within 72 hours, so they are not set in stone).  In theory I am going to Rome from March 20-26; Athens from May 21-27 and Athens again from October 9-14.

I am waiting for a lot of health assessments in my new HSA year starting in January, so that may determine what and where I got.

But I CANNOT IMAGINE A YEAR WITHOUT VENICE.  So unless I have multiple surgeries, I will be going to Venice.  I need to work things with my catsitter's schedule, and never like to be away from my cat ( ) more than 7 days, but that's the only restriction.

I would love to do a tour with many of you to Venice.  It truly is La Serenissima. And from what I gather of late (like that ad on the Rialto bridge night photo) that thanks to creative efforts the city is getting revitalized.  It feels that way.

The only thing I can never do is during the school year except short fall breaks, longer spring breaks, and significant time in December and January.

ProfC

Professor,

I did have a nice "Medical experience" at Harry's in Rome!  Just a glass of red, (To get my cholesterol down. Dr's orders ).  It was fine but at 14 Eu a glass, I took Gem Princess advice and went to Lotti, behind the hotel and bought a bottle for 8 EU!  Did not eat there, but they were sure friendly enough!  BTW, if someone wants to buy expensive mens clothes, just go next door!  Zilli

i is the most expensive mens shop I have ever been to!

IMG_3610.JPG

The neckties at Zilli's start out at $250 each!  Ouch!

IMG_3482.JPG

Harry's Bar, is a celebrity kind of place!  A good place for Anadyr to hang out!

For the "harry's" experience, but much closer, try Harry Cipriani in NYC.  It's on 59th st across from the Plaza Hotel and central Park.  The food is devine, and the martini's are James Bond worthy. This is one of several off-shoots of harry's bar.

Shoeman,

Thanks for the information!

Had no idea!

Happy New Year to your family and you!

Same to you Jerry!  Maybe 2014 will be the year we meet!

Professor,

Another question!

Just looked at The "Boscolo Venetia" Autograph Collection.  You may have already reported, but what is this hotel like?

The photo's sure looked wonderful, and how does it compare to The Pesaro?

Your information is so helpful and I am working on this trip in 2014!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...