10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2016 11:22 AM by phctourist RSS

London Hotel - St Ermins or elsewhere

rodrigst Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi All,

I am headed to London for 5 nights for new years. Currently i am using points for St. Ermins, but am curious if any of you out there have stayed there or any of the other London hotels. I am figuring I can get more value for my points by staying at the JW Grosvenor or the St. Pancreas, but simply don't know the areas/hotels at all.

We are there as tourists so access to public transportation is needed.

Thanks in advance!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
Kensington Marriott
  • Re: London Hotel - St Ermins or elsewhere
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

rodrigst,

Have a wonderful trip!

Am not familiar with that hotel, but do try and see St. Pancras, it is pretty spectacular!

Likewise, if you get to County Hall, near The London Eye, say hello to The Concierge Staff for me!  They are a wonderful group of pro's!

Happy New Year and Welcome to MRI!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

barbaracollins Platinum

Hi!

I worked at the St Ermins a LONG time ago, before it was a Marriott - my first job away from home after hospitality college... Great hotel & in between Victoria and Westminster, right on St James park tube,  back in my day it had a bell that rang to tell the MPs to leave the bar and go back to the Houses of Parliament.

Anyway, my advice would be choose one with an exec lounge if you are likely to be upgraded...the JW Marriott is my personal favourite, its next to the Dorchester Hotel and you can often spot a celeb....

Marble Arch is OK, nice hotel, but more Edgware Road and is within a Middle East community so some good restaurants around but has a different feel.

The Park Lane is at Marble Arch..right by the tube again and at the top/bottom of oxford st (appealing if you want to shop).

St Pancreas is a new one, again right on a train station.

The only 2 central London hotels slightly further out are Regents Park and Maid a Vale.  The rest are pretty central.

Let me know if you want to know anything else....

Barbara

rodrigst Platinum 5 Reviews

Barbara,

Thanks for the great follow-up.

We ended up staying at St. Ermins for the week and weren't disappointed. I would probably have preferred to stay at the JW for the reasons you mention (lounge, service, etc...).

We liked St. E's because of the proximity to Westminster Abbey, the park, and Buckingham. Super convenient to the tube as well. The rooms were nice, the lobby is amazing. Restaurant food was not so good.

The room we had was decent overlooking the courtyard. Only complaint there is the seriously miniature bathroom. Not a huge deal since you are only in there for certain things, but the tub was hard to stand up in because it was really just so small!

Thanks again for advice y'all and for the next visit, we'll definitely try the JW Marriott.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

rodrighst,

Glad you had a good trip, and thanks for the information on the hotel!

Please keep us posted on your travel suggestions!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I stayed at park lane  was convient to tube and nice to walk in Hyde Park

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Due to AA mishaps on 24 June 2016 when I am trying to get home to JFK from London, and AA telling me it was weather related (ha, not true, but so no relevant anymore), I wound up needing to get a hotel for this past Friday 24 June 2016. As my usual place, County Hall or the Mafrriott or renaissance at Heathrow were each sold out, I saw the St Ermine's was open and had a decent rate. This, the day after Brexit made it really good vs the US$. As others noted, the bathroom was micro (Literally, I could stretch my arms out and they would have gone from inner shower wall to out the bathroom door almost touching the closet outer door. But what was really disappointing to me was the micro size of the room. There was maybe 3 feet on either side of the bed. and only about 4 feet in front of the bed. I didn't care that I overlooked the courtyard, as view was not important to me. The blackout shade on the window let in too much light. My request for father pillows was ignored. Food choices were weak (even for London) and expensive  (really GBP25 for a burger???). When I went to restaurant for Brekkie in the morning, I was told my room rate didn't include brekkie. I told the host, I am really confused, I am life plat, is there an error? Had to stand there for 5 minutes while he called FD to verify my status (even tho I showed him my plat card in my wallet and the one on the Marriott App on my phone, The lift I was shown to use was so small that even tho it said it could fit 6 people, they must have been pre 1820's size humans, since only 3 people could really fit at one time. So in all, this was my first and last stay at this property. They don't know how to treat platinum guests and faled to correct issues when brought to their attention and showed no kindness to a weary stranded traveler. Shame on you St Ermine's and Marriott for allowing this to be a Marriott property.

kestie78 Silver

We had the same experience in August 2014, plus the AC was broken so we sweltered away in a tiny room.  No other rooms available.  Hotel lobby was nice and cool, but not rooms.  Staff seemed indifferent.

monisame Platinum

JW Marriott is really great !!! one of the best. If you can afford it this should be the best option.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

If you mean the JW-Grosvenor House, I have stayed there many times. It is a lovely hotel, but a bit outside of central London and the proximity to Hyde Park is great but many other things are a bit of a distance.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I've stayed in the Kensington Marriott twice and really enjoyed it,  It'sd not top tier, but the price reflects that! The hotel is a bit tired physically, but the staff is great and they are very customer friendly.  A very nice CL, but for variety, you can eat breakfast in the restaurant any day, rather than the CL without an extra charge.  The location is convenient with restaurants, a supermarket, and a laundry across the street.  Underground is about two blocks.  Victoria and Albert Museum is just down the street.  Kensington Palace is within walking distance as are all sorts of shops and dining.

Location Brand Hotel
    London, England
    Kensington Marriott

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...