24 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2013 8:48 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Maine's ice and snow storm after

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I thought when the sun came out today I'd take some photos.  There's a lot of damage especially of trees and people still without power, but it's beautiful. Here are some from campus, blissfully empty.IMG_1927.JPGIMG_1930.JPGIMG_1931.JPGIMG_1932.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Maine's ice and snow storm after
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Prof... that is GORGEOUS!  I have yet to see a scene like that, especially in always 80-something Hawaii....

But one of these days I hope to! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

absolutely fantastic professor. Thanks for capturing the beauty in the midst of a mess.

Unlike the great ice storm of 1998 when people all around Maine and Canada didn't have power for as long as six weeks (in January!), there are now only about 6000 outages in central Maine, and for some reason Waterville became a beacon of light in the state (that's probably the nicest thing I've ever said about the town ).

But I know what you mean!  I don't mind snow, though ice is a different matter. But when the sun comes out, it's amazing.  When it happens on a smaller scale, I get to see it through the eyes of my students who -- like you Kharada -- have never seen it before since we have students from all over the world.  I had both a Pakistani and a Chinese student in my intro Western Civ course this past semester who saw snow for the first time and their reactions made me feel like a kid again.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I remember that storm.

Was in NH at the time, and no power for 3 weeks!

It appears that the sun was only putting in a brief appearance.  I just took this from my apartment balcony 5 minutes ago -- looks like more significant (unpredicted) snow...IMG_1935.JPG

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Your photos are captivating!  Even the latest one in the cloudy weather has intrigue with all the branches crossing over each other.  Thank you for sharing!

Thanks, Sledchick! Maybe I can become the Monet of Waterville with his paintings of Rouen Cathedral at all times of the day. Here are two photos from the same vantage point exactly a half hour from the last ones!IMG_1936.JPGIMG_1938.JPG

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

ok I am going to try and add some pics of our "ice storm". Hopefully it will work...

winter 2013.jpgwinter ice 2013.jpg

Excellent, madmax!  Some of that ice on the handrails looks like our power lines.  Have you lost power at all?  I love especially the second with the different sky background and the little bit of sun lighting up the ice tree. It's amazingly gorgeous to see.  When I took my photos at Colby this morning, I was amazed that shooting into the sun actually worked -- but apparently the ice refracted some of the light.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

it does make for a beautiful reflection. We lost power for about 20 hours total and then again for a short period of time, about 2 hours 3 days later. I think after some of the thaw, some of the branches fell on power lines again, hence the second outage. We were very fortunate though as we have a portable generator that will at least run heat and water pump on the well. We drug it up to the barn next to our power box and was ready to hook it up and the power came back on. That was ok though. We needed it up at the barn anyway so that it would be there if we lost power any more this winter. The generator is not strong enough to run everything in the house but enough of the essentials. The problem with having well water is that you have no water supply if the electricity goes out due to the electric pump. I knew everything would be good in the fridge and freezer as cold as it was but I was afraid the pipes might burst if we couldn't keep water running in them. We were down in the single digits three nights in a row so that was a concern.

All is well now though. We are experiencing 58 degrees today and sunny skies. I was sure glad to see the sun again. I could never live in Alaska where it is dark half the year.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

here is another shot which depicts the ice as well.2013-12-22 15.08.45.jpg

It looks like you have about as many trees down as we do.

If it happens again, Madmax, perhaps some of our compatriots in California (listening, Anadyr?) could ship you some wine if you are lacking water.  It would be almost Biblical!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Such an idealistic place!!  Beautiful!!!  

I just saw this great story on our local news (and since I live in the well-lit beacon of Maine I can watch it ).  We've had so many power workers up here since last Saturday from hundreds of miles away, many of whom missed Christmas with their families, this was a feel-good story.  In our state capital of Augusta (even though it's not as well lit now as Waterville), one of the local restaurants provided all you could eat seafood meals and locals grateful for their sacrifice have come in to serve them food, take out trash, and do everything possible to say thanks.

http://www.wmtw.com/news/augusta-restaurant-thanks-workers-with-free-meal/-/22922014/23664966/-/7m7jlh/-/index.html

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

It is always nice when people get together to help each other out in these times of crisis. It has happened so many times in Oklahoma with bombings, tornadoes and floods. It is very heartwarming to know quite a few people do still care about their fellow human beings. Thanks for sharing this link.

Hi madmax,

The ice storm of 1998, which was truly horrific in Maine, was one of the first things that made me really appreciate living here. For six weeks many people here and in eastern Canada had no power at all in the coldest periods of the year.  Yet in central Maine (and elsewhere) neighbors who were the one person on a street with power took in all the others.  My college, which has its own generator, invited all local people to come stay at the college gym (largest building on campus) with food.  People constantly helped each other.  There were absolutely no criminal acts across the state that I can remember, which stunned me. Even though I'd lived so many years in virtually safe Boston, I could not get my head around the idea of people acting GOOD.

I was lucky.  I had been at an American Historical Conference in Seattle and kept calling home every day to check on my cat, and my (same as now) apt building had no power for 5 days.  The day I got home, finally, the power had come on there.  But I know of many families who literally lived together for those six weeks in the 'house of the street that had power.'

I've had issues with being in Maine (20 years now, though not close to a Mainer) since I'm a city person and loved Boston. But the great ice storm changed a lot of my feeling even though I lived through the great snowstorm of 1976 in Boston when the state closed down.

There is a neighborliness here that I haven't seen elsewhere.  Mainers take care of their own and others who come in to help. I am eternally grateful.

BTW, we are expecting another major snow/ice storm Sunday into Monday.  Par for the course .

ProfChiara

I don't think the linemen from the south had that kind of reception when they went to NY and NJ to try to help with Sandy because they weren't all union and some were sent packing without even being able to get in.

Nice that there wasn't that kind of reception for them in ME or OK. 

We get people from Canada and all of the NE on a fairly regular basis to fix our downed lines (and Mainers go up there), and most are volunteers.  Going back to the great and awful 1998 ice storm, it was really a wonder -- both how the people of the state treated the volunteers and how wonderful and amazing the people who came to help us were.  Like I said, a lot of people were living up to as many as 20 a house in the one house on a given street that had power -- for as much as 6 weeks until everyone got power restored.

I think that's when I started to really respect Maine.  I spent my first many years here hating it because I had loved Boston so much, and trust me -- central Maine is not the coast or the mountains.  It's old factory towns that died long before this recent recession.  I was horrified when I first moved here to be treated for the first time in my life like an elite.  The class distinctions remain - with the colleges (Thomas as well) and the hospitals being 'elite' and the rest of the people working 3-4 jobs.  Since I came from a lower middle class family and didn't then have a car, I NEVER told cab drivers I was a professor. 

There was also a class/language divide between the Anglos and the Franco-Americans, which when I first moved was close to hostile.  Happily the Franco-American movement has grown in pride at their heritage and everyone seems to get along quite well nowadays.  French Canadians are, after all, our largest ethnic minority in the state!

But I have come to recognize in my older years that it's nice to live in a place that has almost no serious crime and where as my mother from Philadelphia once said "there are so many, many more trees than people." The winters are harsh, but as you saw, beautiful.

I just wish the coast, Bangor, Portland and the mountains were all less than an  hour or more away!

Cheers, ProfChiara

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Beautiful photos Professor, thanks for sharing.  Stay warm.

Oh!!!  You should sell those shots as well.  They would make beautiful Christmas cards or postcards!! 

The first church scene is my favorite, but the 2nd one with the sun so amazing is a close 2nd.  The other 2 are superb as well.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.

Thanks so much!  I included both because I liked the sun version in one better while I liked the photo in the other more .  Colby was originally founded in 1813 as a Baptist college (The Maine Literary and Theological Institution), but is now nondenominational and the chapel is used for all services. The funny thing is it was still part of Massachusetts till 1820, so MA established the college.

We (ha -- I'm not that old) accepted women in 1871 and are the 12th oldest liberal arts college in the country.

I wanted to get a photo of the library, where my office is (and which looks similar to the chapel but larger), but I would have had to park in a snowbank across the quad --plus the sun was at the wrong angle.  Maybe on a beautiful spring day in May or June I'll try again.

Depending on the conditions tomorrow (if all the ice is gone, there's no point) before the next storm, I'll take my camera with me again.  I honestly didn't expect to get the photos I did, but I saw my first time out how beautiful the ice on the trees looked even around my apartment.

Hey, Madmax, have you gotten a reply from Anadyr about turning water into wine yet?  Some Paso Robles, maybe?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...