8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2013 4:45 PM by profchiara RSS

Venice II: San Marco

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here are photos from the Piazza San Marco (including the Christmas tree) -- you can see how deserted it is -- this was around 5:30pm -- as well as the interior of San Marco.  As mentioned before, despite guards being throughout, no one was enforcing the no photography policy. I am beginning to think they do so usually because of the huge numbers of visitors.  But as you can see, that was not a problem.IMG_1816_1.JPGIMG_1813_1.JPGIMG_1733_1.JPGIMG_1735_1.JPGIMG_1722_1.JPGIMG_1725_1.JPGIMG_1728_1.JPGIMG_1729_1.JPGIMG_1737_1.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Venice II: San Marco
    Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Beautiful, just beautiful!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Sledchick,

I never saw it like this before because there were always hordes of tourists.  There were less than 5 people in any section of the basilica at any given time I was there -- something truly remarkable!  I think I may confine most future trips to December and January, where I've enjoyed great prices for hotels and now more of the real Venice.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I really don't like crowds anywhere I go; off-season is very enjoyable with discounts, not feeling rushed or crammed-in to something.  And the access that you had with your camera gives another great reason to travel off-season!

You're always taking a chance with weather in Venice, but then perhaps that's part of the fun!  I just checked the meteo on Il Gazettino and the weather seems to be horrible now -- yet I had spectacular weather.  A roll of the dice, though I wouldn't (and couldn't) go in November.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Beautiful photos, Prof!  I also enjoyed seeing a whole lot of no one in them!

That was the best part, Pluto!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Beautiful scenes and photography work.  Thanks for sharing so much of your expertise.  I prefer off season, also, just about anywhere I go.

Another plus to off season is the sales on tourist items as well as most everything else.

I haven't noticed it as much in Italy (since you have fewer traditional department stores or ones like them, but in France the big sales (soldes) are in January and August.  Murano tends to be less susceptible, and I haven't figured out their patterns for sales.  I think it may be more based on what designs/creations have been selling and what have not.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...