Five Marriott Facts You May Not Know

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Or maybe you do?

Here they are.

• Re: Five Marriott Facts You May Not Know
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Ah, the Twin Bridges Marriott - plenty of us (older timers) have reminisced about that classic property...  I consumed (or, should I say gorged upon) far too many Sunday brunches there....

Interesting background - I did not recall it was (at the time) the nation's largest motor hotel...

NATION'S FIRST MARRIOTT HOTEL CLOSES ITS DOORS | Deseret News

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

It was not called a Marriott as I recall when it opened.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum
        Ok boys, you're dealing in the ercman's wheelhouse now. Not only did Marriott start as an A & W root beer franchise operator eventually morphing into Hot Shoppes,  they also for decades successfully operated restaurant concepts;Jr. Hot Shoppes (a quick service version) Bob's Big Boys, Roy Rogers (fast food) Farrells (ice cream parlors) Dinner Houses and ran two theme parks.
        Anadyr is correct in stating that the first hotel was not originally called a Marriott, but a Quality Court. He wins an included breakfast at his next Fairfield Inn stay (named after JW Sr's ranch in Hume,Va.). Fairfield also served as the corporation's food distribution company (similar to a Sysco), Fairfield Farms when Marriott was in the restaurant business.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Bridges_Motor_Hotel   Jr., of course used a lot of energy convincing Sr. to take on the debt required to move more aggressively into hotels, which became the golden boy of the company,(like today's millennials) and more and more funds were diverted into the higher potential hotel business and "the rest is history".
        Working as a kid junior manager at Marriott in the early eighties, thinking I was onto something, reality struck (again, like it has with Marriott elites) when my undergrad classmate, now a freshly minted Hah vad MBA told me he was joining my Company as part of a finance team that was structuring that very same 1983 Marriott Marquis deal, and "the rest was history".  That finance group spurred the trend of Marriott financial folks becoming travel industry leaders who went on to hold corner office positions at Northwest, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Disney, Host, and several investment firms and was IMO the turning point where Marriott (and it successfully exists today) realized there was as much income, if not more, in deal structuring as in operations.
        And as a parting gift in the Things you may not know about Marriott - here's a photo of The US Treasury Building (with White House in the background). The Treasury  was the very first contract food service account for Marriott. Contract food service was the feeding of hospitals (Children's Hospital) , schools (Georgetown University, where I served Masters student Anadyr his early morning oj and coffee), and businesses (Exxon, FBI Academy, where I served special visitor Anadyr his oj and coffee - a lifetime of service!), another division, along with their in-flight service division that provided food service to airlines (remember when?) eventually sold to understandably finance the growth engine of hotels.
        IMAG2446.jpg

Ok, off to the relatives (three who were former Marriott employees) with a stay at the Cyber Monday sale priced, Gaithersburg Marriott (hey, I'm noting a trend here). Merry Christmas to all and to all, a good day.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Thank you for the early Marriott history.  I was aware of where the Fairfield name came from.  Wonder if the Hume Ranch is still operational.  Thanks for the post.  Merry Christmas.

erc Platinum

Good morning to you as well. Yes, the ranch serves as a B & B and can actually be booked by calling 1-540-364-2627.  The property is on Marriott.com listed as Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast, Hume, Va. There are a lot of pleasant wineries nearby and the pretty Virginia mountain/hillside. It's near the Oasis Winery, which was an enjoyable place to grab a sandwich and spend a few hours - unfortunately, it's tied up in litigation with Tareq Salahi (remember them, the White House gatecrashers) and is somewhat in limbo, but there are other nice wineries nearby.

Back in the day when Marriott wasn't the Intergalactic Powerhouse it is today, our annual company picnic was held out at the farm, the various Marriott family members (including Sr. and Miss Alice) would all chat and play picnic games - (and eat Pappy Parker's fried chicken, Mighty Mo burgers, and Teen Twist/ham and cheese sandwiches) wow!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Appreciate the information, erc.  I frequent a FI in Strasburg, VA, on my way to visit my son outside of Philly and someone there told me about the Marriott Ranch in Hume.  I would love to visit it someday.  Before retiring I did years of Management Education and Training and held up Marriott Corp as a model for Management Development.  I am a great admirer of Mr. Marriott.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

erc,

I came across this post when looking for information on the Marriott Ranch.  I did notice on the Marriott website that you must call for reservations.  Have you ever stayed there?

Also, do you know if they participate in MR in terms of earning points and nights credit?  The below post from 2010 seems to indicate they do not.

I was very disappointed that the Marriott Ranch in Hume, VA does not participate in the Marriott Rewards program.  It is owned by Marriott and displays the M logo.  Why is it not included?   reference  http://www.marriottranch.com

Thanks!

erc Platinum

jakeal

I have stayed there and it's pleasant enough. Four or five years ago a group of us went out there and hit the various wineries and even did some horseback riding, so we had a very nice time, it's just about 45 minutes from our home. I'm more of a hotel type guy. I don't know if I'm up for meeting folks of the B & B nature .

I don't remember about the points (heck, I can barely remember who won the Series). The Rewards office is of course closed on the weekend (bankers' hours) and the property's phone number is a tape directing us to a web site (which is where the number came from - sheeesh). With its quirky structure I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't earn points (a handful of Marriott properties don't participate in the Rewards program and this could well be one of them). We went because we live close by and were a bunch of former Marriott folks that remembered JW and Miss Alice hosting the company picnic, so it was for nostalgia as much as anything. You should check on points, because if they don't, that might be a deal killer (meaning the property is nice, but nothing special vs. scores of other properties in the foothills and valleys of the Blue Ridge).

erc Platinum

jakeal

By sheer coincidence I received an offer from Travelzoo.com this morning for a deal at the Marriott Ranch.

Raising my curiosity, I called Rewards and NO you do not receive points for a stay at this property. They said it was a special Bed and Breakfast.

Well since you can't earn points anyway, then booking thru a third party is no problem. Because I'm not clever enough to share the link without also sharing my first born's social security number (trust me, I've tried three frustratingly crazy times), here's the info (w/o photos) for the deal thru April.  Go to Travelzoo.com and browse around (if you're not a member, I recommend joining, excellent deals on restaurants, activities like kayaking, bike riding, tours etc and hotels in non-Marriott cities) and check it out.

Marriott Ranch - Hume, Va. - POINTS/NIGHTS ARE NOT EARNED

What's included & when

• Mondays-Fridays through April 15; rates vary within the travel period and blackouts apply
                • $99 per night, Mondays-Thursdays, or $109 on Fridays
                • Accommodations are in the Carriage Rooms with two double beds
                • For $20 more per night, guests can upgrade to a room in the James Marshall Manor House, featuring an open front porch and library, and rooms with fireplaces
                • Complimentary cheese tray and welcome glass of wine
                • Three-course country breakfast for two
                • Boxed lunch for two, ideal to take on a day of wine tastings, given at checkout
                • 20% off of the dinner menu at near-by restaurant, Flint Hill Public House
                Travelzoo Tip:                        Marriott Ranch is 1.5 hours from Washington, D.C., and 2.5 hours from Richmond                    

The fine print

Not available on: Feb. 13-14; March 7, 14, 17-19. Purchase a voucher from Travelzoo then call the hotel directly at 877-324-7344 to make a reservation for your desired travel dates. Guests can combine multiple vouchers for longer stays, subject to restrictions. Based on double occupancy. Up to two additional guests are allowed for $16.50 per person per night. Children younger than 9 are free. Parking is complimentary. This hotel is not pet-friendly. Reservations are subject to availability and reservations must be made up to 30 days in advance.

Fairfield Farm, gotta Google that one!

When I was completing my graduate work at Georgetown University Marriott or Host Marriott had the food concession there. but alas I was more fond of the Tombs for ambiance and Jesuit company!

erc Platinum

In my early twenties while at G'town, we used to go over to the Tombs to toss back a few brewskis and go over the day's activities, you were that older guy at the bar writing in the journal ha ha ha (or I should say, ho, ho, ho).

Might have been, but my theological education began there (and well...).

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

OK, anadyrand erc(great post, by the way), you kick my butt in the way-back-machine - I first set foot in the Twin Bridges Marriott in 1970 (and my recollection was that they called it a Marriott) - when did they change the name???

erc Platinum

1957 first Marriott hotel. 1959 Marriott began construction on GemPrincess' local fave, Key Bridge, that's when they switched to Marriott Hotels. 1970 ssindc begins his illustrious career as Marriott guest, leading to eventual fame as Insider photographer, to include this photo of anadyr during his theological matriculation hanging out at The Tombs in Georgetown circa 1970 something   .

Ok, I'm truly hitting the Beltway onto 270 out to the Maryland hinterlands. Be kind to me and Merry Christmas to all.

Yes but I was only a brevit Jesuit, a learner at the feet of the most wise, in those days. Jeanne Kirkpatrick was my true professorial inspiration in the classroom.

According to one of the bedside books (Spirit to Serve I think), Bill Marriott Senior had his wife and son working on hanging pictures, etc., before the two bridge Marriott's opened. Also memory serves that no alcohol was served when TB opened.  Someone at corporate could verify that.

erc Platinum

jakeal bringing me back to this post, reminded me that I wanted to add a 6th fact seldom known (or remembered) about Marriott, they used to be in Senior Living Communities  Marriott Senior Living Services (they sold to Sunrise in 2002)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

erc

wow.  I forgot that I knew that!  there was a location in North Dallas, and as I recall, it was a pretty nice facility.  seems they were going after affluent folks….  thanks for reminding us!

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

erc,

If Marriott would have stayed in the Senior Living business people could have saved points and cashed up in for a room.  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...