53 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2015 11:20 AM by ssindc RSS

The Nation's Capital during the holidays

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
As a kid growing up rooting for my hometown Redskins (Norm Snead, George Allen's Over the Hill Gang and onto Joe Gibbs and the Glory Days), I never thought I would pass on tickets to a Redskins/Cowboys game (w/parking ,even!), but here I am downtown DC taking in the holiday season. Needing some stays to earn my MegaBonus Cat. 5 certificate and with DC being one of the few Marriott weak spots, I was able to grab several evenings at different properties for less than $85. Two downtown stays at <$200 net, earned me a night at the $250 Renaissance Malmo Sweden for my upcoming cruise (although if I wait long enough, I can just stay home and watch all of jasper's great videos and fake it!). Granted, junior varsity stuff compared to the road warriors 55k points for 30 nights, but we all do what we can to "rage against the machine". Had an excellent meal at Vidalia (even had their fancy schmancy scrapple in honor of all the Musubi fans).
Christmas gift from the daughters who've heard enough about Dad's deals
IMAG2395.jpg
                                    DC Botanic Gardens
IMAG2397.jpg
IMAG2401.jpg
                            Capitol Christmas Tree
IMAG2407.jpg
                                   Union Station Entrance
IMAG2411.jpg
                   Union Station Train Display
IMAG2421.jpg
Holiday Market outside American Art Museum - nice artisan gifts
IMAG2434.jpg
View from Post Office Pavillion tower (an insider secret - halfway between
White House and Capitol, this soon to be Trump Hotel offers one of the best
360 degree views of the city)  Here is looking east.
IMAG2442.jpg
Gingerbread Capitol at the Willard Hotel.  500 lbs of flour, 300 lbs of gingerbread,
                                          200 hours to make.
IMAG2457.jpg
Washington landmark - Old Ebbitt Grill
IMAG2454.jpg
National Christmas Tree and Lincoln Memorial from POV Lounge - W Hotel
If I get the energy next year, I'll snag one of those sweet $69 Mayflower pre-paids and do a report on the inside Insiders' DC, interesting places for road warriors who have seen Fonzie's jacket, the Hope Diamond, and the National Mall too many times to count and are looking for something different (we just recently lost the fascinating National Aquarium) like Library of Congress, Folger Shakespeare Library, Supreme Court, Building Museum, Corcoran/Phillips/Renwick Art Galleries, Arboretum, Dumbarton Oaks and these two examples just up the road from the Washington Marriott/Ritz/Renaissance;
IMAG2462.jpg IMAG2472.jpg
the "O" Mansion - 100 Rooms, 72 secret doors, great stuff, good fun - free admission
IMAG2464.jpgIMAG2468.jpg
Two more area holiday items worthy of mention;
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/activitiesandevents/celebrations/zoolights/  I hit this event 2-3 times a decade and am going next week staying at the nearby Wardman Park Marriott. Lots of fun - zoo in the afternoon, lights at night and a good meal at Ardeo and Bardeo down the street.
http://dctemplelights.lds.org/  This opened in the late 70's and is a wonderful trip for the entire family. This actually has a Marriott connection, in that Mr. Marriott was instrumental in setting this event up from the very beginning. A stay at the nearby Bethesda Marriott makes it an easy trip (and if you have an extra night, you can catch a performance at the Strathmore Music Center  http://www.strathmore.org/    The Temple provides enjoyable shows,  a relaxing time, virtually everyone there is in a friendly mood, and contemplative quiet for the individual traveler.
Happy Holidays to all Insiders

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The Nation's Capital during the holidays
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

erc,

Wonderful pictures and report!

Love the picture of "Old Ebbits Grill and The Willard", they are wonderful experiences!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Well having lived there for 20 years it brought back memories, some good some otherwise of the national capitol and it's many great sites!  Thanks for posting.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

erc:

Nice pictures and trip report. Hope I can find some of those deals when I go back to DC. What was the Capitol and the Monument made from at the Botanic Garden?

I understand passing up the Redskins game nowadays....but I think I remember seeing you and your pals at the games back in glory days.....

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Well, in our home, we've taken to referring to them as "the Washington Football Team" ....

Whichever side you fall on this issue, our sense is that it's only a matter of time until there's a name change... [Remember when the local basketball team, originally the boys from Baltimore, was (were) known as "the Ammunition"?  at least back then, folks could call them Les Boulez, which is a whole 'nuther story....]

The big Q is: which goes first: the name or the owner?  (We know the coach will be long before before both...)

You realize that there are lots of folks who feel differently I hope.  There are many bigger fish to fry than this in MHO.

anadyr,  on this (controversial) issue, we're predicting, not opining....  As crystal ball gazers, we think all three - coach, owner, and name - are doomed...  As noted above, we think it's just a matter of time...  So the speculation (nay, wagering) interest has morphed from whether to when (and, again, in what order)....

Perhaps like the Colts the team should leave town in the middle of the night

erc Platinum

anadyr and ssindc - Happy Holidays

Ok, ladies, I could chat all week about dannyboy, bruce and george allen, mike and kyle shanahan, the redskins, the deadskins and the shaking of RFK, but this is The Nation's Capital and the Holidays, so here's a photo that brings us back to DC and the hotel business

IMAG2423.jpg

The Old Post Office Pavilion, similar to Georgetown Park, a concept that has run

its time. This will be converted into a Trump Hotel (by Ivanka) but the Tower, with

its terrific views of the city (see elsewhere in this post) remains part of the

US Park Service.

Merry Christmas to all and to all, a good day

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Just remember...."Loyalty is the difference between fans and spectators".  Hope there are better days ahead for you and for me.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

NIce photos.  Happy Holidays to you and yours.  I really have enjoyed your posts this year.  Thanks.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Awesome photos!  DC looks great in the winter!  Too bad your neighbor isn't there to enjoy it... instead he's here watching a college basketball game, eating sushi at Morimoto's and golfing!  Mele Kalikimaka! 

There's always something interesting going on in DC....  I spent the day focusing on Corinthians - not the book in the Bible, but, instead, photographying the columns (and arches) in the Great Hall at the National Building Museum, which is quite a structure....  Our Historic Building   Just tried to post some photos, but the web site has defeated me.... It must have been this evening's upgrade...

erc Platinum
    Thanks jerrycoin . We walked by the Willard on the way to the W and deliberately stopped in there knowing how much you liked the hotel. It was difficult to show the warmth of the lobby in just a photo, but the place was beautifully decorated. Here's the lobby tree in your honor, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
    IMAG2440.jpg
    And anadyr whereas you can see the FBI HQ from the Post Office Pavilion, it's pretty drab, so you deserve a more colorful holiday greeting. Knowing that you no doubt studied and then taught techniques used in the Telemark heavy water actions, here's a tree in your honor at Union Station given to the folks of Washington (which you as an alumni, qualify as) from the Royal Norwegian Embassy as a symbol of their friendship. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
    IMAG2414.jpg

tef6178   Aah, those were the days, The Hogs, The Fun Bunch, the Smurfs and of course, The Diesel, good times (was fortunate enough to attend the 88 Super Bowl in SD, their comeback victory over the Broncos). That's funny that you asked about the monuments (retaining your CEO Socratic skills), my wife even said, "hey you should find out about what the monuments are made of, in case anyone asks", Mr. Know It All responded, "the sign says natural materials, besides, no one will ask". In your honor, I've called the garden's Plant Hotline and will get back to you when they let me know. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
    bpelican - You've been an excellent first round draft pick to the Insiders team. Great having you on board. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
    kharada46 - I like it when Barry's out of town, it allows me some peace and quiet and some reading time at his place. We all watched Hawaii Five O this week (two shows), saw several Oahu spots and made about six kharada references. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
    IMAG2485.jpg

ssindc - Demonstrating how I've become a "take along the Insiders" traveler, we also went to the Building Museum (nice garland, but as you saw, not too much in terms of holiday decorations). It was very similar to the Smithsonian in New York City at the Alexander Hamilton US Custom House, National Museum of American Indian in that it's very difficult to get a photo that tells the story of the breadth of the beauty, and I kid you not, I said to Mrs. Erc, "man, we can't get this shot, where's ssindc when you need him?"  So how about that, you were on the job and came through!  Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Thanks for the shout out.  I have enjoyed your posts and photos immensely.  We have a wonderful group of folks here at MIs.  Look forward to more good stuff in the new year.

erc - at this holiday season, ask and you shall receive - here are some of my favorite pics from yesterday's expedition to the National Building Museum -  Corinthians (at the National Building Museum)

Tra, la-la-la-la-laaaa, la-la-la-la-laaa ...

Ah yes erc. those halcyon days at the farm and at Quanitco, what great memories! I still have the cuffs (on my pants at least), and my decoder ring.

DC was and is an artifact for me, and when in millenia to come they unearth the place, some sage archeologist or Roswellian alien from outer space will comment on the mountains  of petrified paper regulations, signifying nothing as the saying goes, and the stone monuments to the founders. 

As Henny Youngman famously (did not) say "Take my DC. please!"

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Very true!  We get the chaos of having him in town instead... oh well.  Merry Christmas!  Hope you have a good one! 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

image.jpg

Trying to squeeze in one last Christmas tree hurrah.  Lobby of Marriott Hotel San Diego Del Mar.

Great photo, pluto, of a spectacular tree.  Love it!  Thanks and a Happy New Year to you and yours.

erc Platinum

Wrapped up another nice stay at the Gaithersburg Marriott (again honking the horn as we drove by Intergalactic), hopefully my Wardman Park Marriott - zoo trip and Ritz Carlton New Year's Eve stays will be just as pleasant, as I wrap up my earn MegaBonus (jr. varsity level) in a month, local sightseeing tour.

IMAG2507.jpg

Oops, just read a message from ssindc to give him the scoop on the property - so here's an add on;

There's a link - Gaithersburg Marriott Still Delivering (http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/73126#73126 ) and the property has been improved even since my previous write up and their renovation. The lobby is nicer, the deck area on the lake has been improved, and they have strengthened their wi-fi capability. They continued their excellent service (they were even open yesterday in the CL and had a full breakfast this morning in CL - CL closed on weekends but buffets for elites in restaurtant). Like ssindc, I often use this when hitting the shops and restaurants in Frederick, Md. and I rank the props at Rio Center in following order: G'burg Marriott, Res. Inn, CY with a surprisingly pedestrian performance by the SpringHill (perhaps I was aggravated at them charging me $2 for an aspirin).

The G'burg Marriott though is a successful business property Sun-Thurs. so rates often require an expense account, but terrific deals on holidays and weekends with great service.

Thanks for info, erc....  (Information is power!)  I've never had an excuse to take advantage of one of the Gaithersburg Marriott's weekend rates, and (as you note), when I've wanted to stay there during the week, the rates have been higher than I'd like (often in the same ballpark as the Mayflower downtown)... All things in time...

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

my favorite town, any time of year!

erc Platinum

Ok folks, as ssindc demonstrated with his lovely photos of the Building Museum, we Insiders are here to serve. The United States Botanic Garden Plant Hotline called me back (I wonder what mailing and phone lists I'm on now) and informed me that no, the monuments were not made of radioactive Uranium 238 (a natural product), but rather pine cones, bark, tree parts (like McNuggets - chicken parts) and fungi and are made for them by  Applied Imagination a Kentucky company (glad it's US)  http://appliedimagination.biz/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=814.  

Now, if only Blue Cross would call me back about my 26 year old daughter's Health Insurance plan. We think Rewards is a tough cost cutting task master - the young 'un leaves my program for her own $3k annual individual coverage and my annual premium goes down $100, now that's an enhancement!

I would suggest, actually request, that anyone who visits the National Building Museum, take a few minutes to honor our fallen law enforcement officers at their memorial right across the street.  The names of four of my fallen brothers and very good friends are engraved there.  Thank you in advance.

erc Platinum

Good suggestion. We spent several minutes there reading the names.  This is best viewed in the daytime Insiders, 400 and 500 blocks of E and F can get pretty sketchy at night, as it was, we walked from the memorial to the firehouse up the street where a friend of ours was a former captain and the marijuana aroma was wafting in the air bigtime. We've been down here several times and with the Judiciary Building and a lot of DC services all around, a significant amount of panhandling and general jostling can take place, but the Memorial is fine (although don't look for statues, it's a pretty understated area, lions and a remembrance pool), just stay alert Insiders.

Great suggestion and request, nuhusker.  Let's never forget these true heroes who literally gave their all.

Wrong! Hawaii is fantastic any time

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

WashDC_10179.JPG

I recently signed a law that wished all Insiders and their families a very Merry Christmas.

Arlington National Cemetery looks completely different this time of year....

IMG_1359.JPG

Thanks for posting this photo.  My Father-in-Law (WWII) is buried here.

bpelican  And I will join your father in law one day when my last battle on earth is fought.  I will remember to think of your father in law in the future every time I go to Arlington, usually twice a year.

And I will think of you when I visit in hopes that your final battle on earth will be many years in the future.  Arlington is a place that I treat with extreme reverence to honor all those heroic souls.  The best in the New Year for you and your family.

A most awesome shot, Ssindc.

erc Platinum

The National Zoo (part of the Smithsonian Institution) is always a great place to visit (and it's free, courtesy of tax dollars) but it's especially pleasant during the holidays. They host a ZooLights festival in the evenings (until Jan. 5 usually) which is an enjoyable stroll through the grounds all decorated.

IMAG2549.jpg

IMAG2557.jpg

Many exhibits during the festival (above are paper creations) and most animal

houses are open at night.

IMAG2604.jpg

Two of the zoos newest residents, born in August - Sumatran Tigers

Did not know that the national zoo was part of the Smithsonian.  Look at those fine creatures.  Born in August?  Why, they're just still "kittens" yet.  Nice post.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Does your wife also get certificates?  I guess that all of your family is signed up for MI, right?

Really great pictures and write ups.  Thanks for the knowledge and pictures.

erc Platinum

Thanks eb and Happy New Year to you and your family.  I considered signing her up about a year ago (would also take advantage of the referral program) but we just didn't have enough nights to spare - often I have to stretch to make my own MegaBonus (although now that they dropped from three certificates/six stays to two certificates/four stays, I may revisit the idea). This last promo was unique in that I was able to convert two award stays to inexpensive paid stays due to the CyberMonday sale, thus giving me two extra stays (and a savings in points).

Here's an interesting side note that nycuws10025 (and others that share our view about the 'personalization' of MegaBonus) will get a kick out of; I was not sent a MegaBonus (no surprise there, haven't been pre-registered in years), my MegaBonus tabbed when clicked, stated that I was not eligible for a MB (although I had never checked before and therefore had never seen that message - no problem, I knew we could call and get an offer); now, for the kicker, I called and got a MegaBonus offer, but the rep had to override the 40k point offer that apparently was in there by default and track mine manually. So for not being offered an offer and for not being 'eligible' for an offer, there was an offer in there that had to be manually overridden, boy talk about your Rube Goldberg process. The service rep giggled and said, "well it does in a way, provide job security for us"    .

Now, back to my post about DC. There are a boatload of great activities in the nation's capital, many that aren't known about even by many locals. The Front Royal Va. (in the Shenandoah Valley) campus of the National Zoo used to raise zoo animals and funds by providing expert monitored opportunities to briefly interact with the babies, that was a blast and missed by many of us who knew about it.

azmi.jpg

Always something interesting going on in the DC area around the holidays.  Last night, the family saw the revival of Andrew Lloyd Weber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - it was goofy (but fun and hugely entertaining) when it came out in the 1960's, and it remains so today....  Before the show, the crowd at the (free) performance on the Millennium Stage was extraordinary!

The Kennedy Center remains one of my favorite "upgrades" to DC in my lifetime. As JFK remarked (and the walls read): "I look forward to an America which will reward achievement in the Arts as we reward achievement in business or statecraft.... I look forward to an America which commands respect throughout the world not only for its strength but for its civilization...."

IMG_7601a.jpg

erc Platinum
      Excellent photo of JFK ssindc,  I'm in full agreement about the value of the Kennedy Center and all that it offers. Speaking of performances, paraphrasing Walt Disney in Fantasia, "from the sublime to the insane";

A building Christmas tradition for me has been going to a blockbuster movie as it opens on Christmas Day. Performances which inspire me to think about my rabble rousing days with Insiders (remember, I've given up rabble rousing, to appease my lodging masters ).

Two recent Christmas films, Into the Woods and Les Miserables got me up on my feet singing about life with Marriott Rewards, this year I was joined in a duet by IAHFLYR and foxglove while IAH was at MSG w/Billy Joel.

To the tune of Agony - Into The Woods
      Yours truly singing as Cinderella's prince and the guys singing as Rapunzel's Prince

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFgMowOwek0

Cinderella's Prince - Erc
        Did I abuse them
        Or show them disdain?
        Why were they taken from me?

If I should lose them
        How shall I regain
        The value provided to me?

Mega B

Beyond points, there are certs
        When the bonus you want
        Is the only thing gone and it hurts

Rapunzel's Prince - IAH/Foxglove

Low on the food chain
        The certs will not remain
        For loyalists like us

SpringHills and Fairfields, and now and then airports
        Make's the bonus just
        ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah     (the boys nailed that part!)

Mega B

Far more painful than yours
        When you know only two more stays
        Is a free night for sure

Erc & IAH/Foxglove

Mega B

Certs just out of your reach

IAH/Foxglove

What's as intriguing

Erc

Or half so fatiguing

Both

As the Man you can't teach?

T
      o the tune of Master of the House - Les Miserables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTZYSzxZcvA

Welcome Rewards, sit yourself down

See Freddie's winner, the best in town

As for the rest, all of them tools

Trailing our lead, and copying our rules

Seldom do you see

Anything for free

A plan of such design

That's content to be

Master of your perks, doling out the charm

Giving you improvements, that might do some harm

Spin a juicy tale, creates a little fuss

F & B credit, makes a purchase a must

Likes to always change the bennies

Doesn't cost us to be nice

Enhancements get you little

As we often jack up your price

Master of your perks, keeper of your stays

Ready to raise categories any day

Take away your wine, giving you some points

Bistro coffee costs and now we all must pay

Everybody loves a resort

Everybody pays the fee

Strap the title on the building

And it raises our P.E.

Master of the perks, quick to take your cash

Better book 'em now, because the deals won't last

Lodger to the loyal, chaser of the new

200 nights a year and it's premier for you

That's unless we just decide not to

That's unless we change our mind

Keep saving up your points, and

They'll lose their value, you will find

Here's to 2015 being just as wild and wacky, insightful, and enjoyable as years past;
        Keep on keepin' on Insiders

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

How does one follow that??

Other than to say I hope the erc Wiz bring their "A Game" tonight as they are sure to meet a bunch of surly Rockets after their lackluster performance last evening against San Antonio!!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Bravo! BRAVO!! [thunderous applause]

erc Platinum

IAH and Foxglove

Thanks fellas, I couldn't wouldn't have done it without you .

And for those of you keeping track at home, so that you don't think I'm like one of those guys who always tells you about his casino or racetrack winnings (but is still driving his Chevy Vega), my five year poker winning streak came to a thunderous crash this year. Picking up a few coins in the kiddie nickel and dime game (really, how much fun can you have taking a 13 year old's money?), I moved into the big boy quarter/half/table stakes games and had my behind handed to me. Too many second place finishes, often losing on the last card, will find your author dusting off his AARP card for use at Denny's in the upcoming month (no Bandera for me). I had no problem taking the razzing from the know it all millennials about using my discount at Denny's, afterall, I'm staying at JW's and they're not , what I did have trouble finessing though, was the fact that I actually like Denny's entrees ! Go man, go.

You should have put some cash on the game last night you would have won since our hometown kids failed to show up AGAIN

And, for erc and the DC crowd (and, of course, all good hockey fans everywhere) in the once in a lifetime category, really REALLY enjoyed the Winter Classic today!  It's a very different view of Nats Park (in DC, of course).  Here's a few pics - not sure if I have the energy to create a photo album (since it's not like future tourists will ever get the opportunity)....

MR 1.jpg

MR 2.jpg

MR 3.jpg

MR 4.jpg

MR 6.jpg

MR 7.jpg

Outstanding photos (as usual) of what looks like a great event.  The place looks packed for the most part.

Yeah, IAHFLYR, I'd say it was "packed" - they announced the crowd at 42,000+ (which exceeds their published capacity of 41,888) - they sold a significant number of SRO (standing room only) tickets - it felt significantly more crowded than a sold out Nats playoff game - concession (and restroom) lines were absurd, and there were many places on the upper concourse were it was pretty much gridlock...

quite a show... good hockey, a series of mini-concerts (including Billy Idol, who sounded great), well thought out tributes to the military (including a fighter-jet flyover), some fireworks, and all the trappings of consumerism, including the $9 beer and the $11 hot chocolate in commemorative mug (also available for $16 with a shot of Bailey's in it) - but wait - they appear to have sold out of the collector's mugs long before the third period of the game...

I'm guessing erc was in one of the (warm, comfortable, upscale) luxury boxes with his friends in the Marriott family, where the food and drink flowed freely, but the rest of us did the best we could out in the cold....

erc Platinum

ssindc

Ha, ha. You've got me pegged, I think you've been talking to my neighbors! We have several guys who have season tickets and the joke is, erc won't go unless there's parking, wings, and beers! You played it right yesterday - that was the event to be at, congrats. The guys had some excellent seats in CF and even though cold, they had a blast. We were coming back from the Mayflower on the Orange Line and heading in was a sea of red - very exciting and of course you couldn't ask for a more exciting outcome (as opposed to the often, blown two goal lead, OT dead zone, loss in shoot out ). Now let's hope some of that rubs off into some playoff Natitude success.

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...