3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2013 3:36 PM by profchiara RSS

Marriott Visa vs Chase Saphirre Preferred (if you have a great deal of Marriott pts to start)

luis111503 Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I have just joined the forum and I am excited to be here! I have read some of the great information that folks have provided on the site and I hope to contribute as well as be a beneficiary!

My question centers around credit cards and which one would be the best choice for my situation detailed below:

• Marriott Rewards member with a large amount of points already accumulated.
  • Currently have a Blue Chase Sapphire card currently. I called Chase and was told I could upgrade to the Chase Sapphire Preferred but could not get the 50K bonus because it is not a new account.
  • Travel 2x a month for work. Northeast Corridor as well as West Coast. Stay in Marriotts whenever possible.
  • Travel internationally for leisure travel.
  • Looking to continue to accumulate points best way possible.

I get the sense that given Chase's answer regarding not getting the 50k bonus that the Marriott card would be my best choice. However, I want to be sure and would like to get any other opinions on the site.

Thank you all very much in advance!

L.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Visa vs Chase Saphirre Preferred (if you have a great deal of Marriott pts to start)
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Hi luis111503 and welcome to the MI site. Indeed you can reap benefits from this site as well as contribute and I look forward to your contributions.

I was confused at your post but I am guessing you already had a Chase visa that was upgraded to sapphire tier. The difference may be that you do not receive Marriott benefits with it, but the Marriott visas are Chase visas. Check out the link below to see what you can get with each tier, regular or premier. There is a yearly fee to maintain the card but you will reap more benefits from it than what you pay annually if you travel as much as you say and have other purchases on credit cards as well.

I hope this information is useful and answers your question. Merry Christmas and I look forward to your posts.

Travel Rewards Credit Cards | Marriott Credit Card

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Visa vs Chase Saphirre Preferred (if you have a great deal of Marriott pts to start)
    Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Greetings and welcome, luis111503!   madmax gave a great response already, but I have something to add.  I'm not sure what "rewards" come with the Sapphire card (miles?  cash back? etc.), but if your focus is to maximize your traveling bang-for-the-buck, the Marriott Visa is the way to go based on your info above.  I was in a similar situation as you and I made the conscious decision several years ago to stop using a cash-back credit card, as the Marriott Chase card would give me way more in terms of maximizing my travel wants and needs.  I got the standard Visa at first, then upgraded to the premier card shortly after that.  The advantages far outweigh the yearly fee as madmax stated above.  I have not been sorry, and indeed, enjoy the benefits every time I make a rewards booking.

I'm glad you've joined MRI, and best wishes for a Merry Christmas and safe travels in 2014!  -Sledchick

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I got the Sapphire Chase Preferred Card by switching an old Chase card over a year ago and by phone had been promised 50K points. When they didn't show up, I checked and they said since it was not technically a new account, they didn't post.  I pointed out what the telephone agent had said and got the points.  Since I am seldom staying at Marriott anymore I am actually using it along with my Delta Reserve Amex Skymiles Card the most and have been quite happy with it.  While its travel promotions are not that great (they tend to cost more than online booking sites), you get twice the points for every imaginable kind of travel (even like a vaporetto pass) and there is no minimum in converting those into dollars by paying yourself back.

If I were staying at Marriotts like I used to I would still use my MR premier rewards card, but that just isn't the case and my spending on it has been almost nonexistent this year.  So every time I go on a trip (esp. where they don't really like you to use Amex, which is practically everywhere because of its fees), I use Sapphire and pay myself back the next billing cycle with whatever is accumulated. Like other Chase card it has no foreign transaction fees, a high credit limit, and unlike CapitalOne's Venture, you can pay yourself back every month -- whereas Venture has a high limit to do so.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...