4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2009 5:04 PM by newhiltonmembr RSS

What to do in Rio

chijim Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all, I'm traveling to Rio de Janeiro.  Any suggestions on where to eat, what to do?  Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What to do in Rio
    commuter Platinum
    The copacabana marriott is great - probably the best hotel overall i've ever stayed at.  Service was excellent.  But it is on copacabana beach - copa can be a bit less than family friendly.  For food, if you like meat, porcao (a churrascaria).  Also Informal, a boutequim (BR pub).  Beach for sure. If time permits, visit "el christo," sugarloaf, and hangglide (Marcelo Parafina 21.9979.3878, www.vooduplorio.com.br)  tell marcelo nick sent you.  Enjoy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

michael787 Platinum

One & half blocks to the left on coming out of the Rio JW Marriott, there is a cluster of KILO restaurants on Rua Siquera Campos.  You pick the foods you want from a large BUFFET , and they will weigh your plate to determine the cost, which is added to your check slip received on arrival at the front door.  You can go back as much as you want, but the plates are weighed each time.  It is not how neat you pile the food on the plate, but how high.  I always eat an early dinner there and it can cost from US$9 - 15.  Higher since the $ has dropped by half.  Smaller plates are used for the many desserts and ice creams  at a differnent cost per KILO or part of it.  I average about 8/10's of a Kilo for my plate without desserts.

FAEZNA is my preferred restaurant, that serves unlimited Pizza of various toppings at the table by the piece hot out of the oven.  After 6 PM, the price is about US$13-15 depending on drinks  for the unlimited Buffet (no weighing) and any pizza being offered by the waiters making their rounds to serve you at your table. 

But many go to Siquera Campos Grill a couple of doors toward the beach, since it has been around longer. No pizza! 

Across the stree is the Carriage Trade, where you are served various cuts of rotiserrie cooked meats from a skewer at your table until you stuffed and turn the NO MORE red indicator  up.  There is a salad and side dish buffet included for a set price.. A bit more expensive

If you go to the right out the front door of the hotel and around the corner, there is the RAEN restaurnant that is very good and serves Executive dinners during the week , which is enough for one person at moderate prices.  Well prepared.  Caution most places serve portions, that are enough for two people.

Another newer KILO favorite is the Belle Blue on Siq Campos further up just before the Metro.  Very good, Buffet and Pizza.  Open late.  Recently remodled, clean, bright.  But watch your debit card on check out.  A couple of years ago, one of mine seemed to help renovate someone's house after I got home.  :)

GALINHA is wonderful chicken soup with rice and carrots, that many of the places have.  A large bowl is often all I want for early dinner.  The best is at PAPA d ANJOU on RUA Barata Riberio a block from Siq Campos.   About $2, but some charge about $4.

For a late snack, there is a corner spot with sidewalk dining RIGHT out the hotel and it is open late!  Large portions and a bit more expensive, but less then the hotel.  I still haven't gotten over the Hotel breakfast priced at US$25.00.  I jsut don't eat that much that early in the day.  Especially after a trip to the KILO place the night before.

Hope this helps! 

For a realy nice pick me up in the afternoon, have a Super Bomba smoothie with ACAI berry from the Amazon at BIG BOMBA at the counter open to the corner of Siq Campos & Copacabana (?).  There are many places to have a snack every where you walk unless you don't speak Protuguese and can not point at something you would like to have.  Some places have English translations, but the natives are not very motivated to speak English as in other countries.

You will NOT go hungry, that is a certainty.  I stop in the markets on you guessed it SIQ Campos for fresh ACAI juices and  other fruits, snacks on the way to or from the Metro.  ENJOY BRAZIL!   THe people are wonderful as is the hotel staff..

az85048 Silver

Michael787 - Thanks for the tips on where to eat in Rio!  Going the first week in December and staying at the Copacabana property.  Looks to be a nice hotel and am looking forward to the trip.  Were you able to convert money at the hotel or is there an exchange close by?  Thanks and safe travels! 

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

az85048:

The most cost effective method of obtaining local currency is to use an ATM when you arrive at your destination.  There will be one at the airport so you can get money for a taxi, etc.  You will get a better exchange rate and your bank will charge less for any transaction fees.  Capital One charges $1.50 for each ATM transaction.  To keep fees low, withdraw as much as you can and put whatever is not needed for the day into the hotel safe.

Make sure you have a 4-digit PIN as the ATMs in many countries don't allow for a longer PIN.  You can change your PIN at the bank before you leave, if necessary.  Also, take a second ATM card in case the first one gets lost, stolen, or 'eaten' by the ATM.  My bank would not give me a second ATM card so I withdrew money from that account and walked down the street to another bank (Cap One) and opened an account there to acquire the second card. 

Also, Capital One's credit cards are great for foreign travel.  They do not charge conversion and transaction fees that other banks charge 1-3%. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...