1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 24, 2013 7:51 AM by laurac RSS

To say 'exceptional' would not do this man justice

rcupadhy Platinum 6 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Last night, after a very, very long day at work, I checked in at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott in Winston-Salem, NC. The front desk attendant reminded me why I always choose a Marriott Hotel when I can. His name is Russell. He said I can call him Russ.

Now, the moderators of this discussion know that I'm quick to compliment a great hotel, great staff, and great service. That being said, I choose very carefully who I nominate for the "Spirit to Serve" award. That's because if I had too many submissions, they would be ignored like so much spam in your inbox.

To date, I have only nominated two individuals for the award, and I'm happy to say that when I revisited their hotel, I saw their certificate prominently displayed. So, I'm batting 1000, let's hope that trend continues.

Back to Russ. When I arrived, he greeted me by name. I was a bit taken back, because it had probably been years since I last stayed at this property. When he saw my reaction, he remarked that he made it a point to know the names of all the Platinum Elite customers that stay at his location. It was at this point, I knew that there was something exceptional about Russ.

He offered me the obligatory welcome gift or bonus points. I looked longingly at the frozen pizza and let Russ know that I hadn't had time to eat that evening. Russ said, "well, tonight we had our reception sponsored by Hooters. It ended not long ago and I thing there are still some wings, would you like them?" I was thrilled. The thought of microwaved pizza was not enticing, it was simply sustinence. But wings! I was shocked when he brought out a clam-shell to go container that must have had 50 or more wings inside. Russ brought me a plate, napkins, and silverware, and invited me to take as many wings as I liked. I took a few, because I was pretty sure that he had set them aside for himself in preparation for a long night-shift. Russ said, "I thought you said you were hungry, you'd better take all of them."

With a plate full of wings in one hand, and a diet pepsi from the marketplace in the other, I walked away, feeling like I was walking on a red carpet. Russ trailed me, and opened my door for me. I was really impressed. It was as if Russ was reading my mind. I put the wings and drink on the table in my room, and returned to the lobby to park my car. Russ pointed out the best spot, well-lit. But this looked like it was made for a compact car. This is probably why it was unoccupied. When I inquired, he explained that the space was small, but as long as I backed in, I wouldn't have any trouble fitting in.

I could go on and on about Russ' spirit to serve, but I think that those with whom he works know him already and feel as strongly as I do. I sincerely hope you award Russ. He really went the extra mile for me, and deserves high praise!

R. Upadhyaya

North Carolina

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Winston-Salem Hanes Mall
  • Re: To say 'exceptional' would not do this man justice
    laurac Marriott Associate
    Currently Being Moderated

Greetings, rcupadhy, On behalf of Marriott associates around the world, we take pride in providing exceptional service for each and every guest and we appreciate you taking the time to nominate this Marriott associate for this important award. We’ll enter this nomination for consideration of the Spirit to Serve award.

Best,

Laura & The Marriott Rewards Insiders Team

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...