10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2016 7:06 PM by painedplatinum RSS

Does anyone know when charges to a Marriott rewards Visa card are credited to elite nights?

rodgerml Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone know when charges to a Marriott rewards Visa card are credited to elite nights?

Is it when the charge is made, when it is posted or when the bill is paid?

For instance, if I make charges on the card in Mid-late December 2013, and the bill is sent and paid in january 2014, will the Elite Night credits be credited to my account this year (2013) or next?   I need 2 more nights to reach elite status and will have enough charges in December for two nights elite credit, but the bill won't came due till January.

Thanks for any input.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Does anyone know when charges to a Marriott rewards Visa card are credited to elite nights?
    walksoftly Gold 4 Reviews

I have recently looked into this question and it took some effort to receive an answer.  The Marriott Rewards customer service representatives said that the credits were made by the Marriott Visa card and they had no idea when or whether credits would appear.  They said that I should talk with Marriott Visa customer service.  Marriott Visa customer service representatives (2 of them) insisted that they only transferred points to Marriott Rewards and they had no idea about the elite nights. :-( 

After insisting that I wanted to talk to a supervisor at Marriott Visa customer service, the supervisor read the rules that he had as his resource together with me and it became clear that it is Marriott Visa that credits the nights (the Marriott Rewards representative was right).  [The supervisor admitted that he didn't know the rules previously, but that in reading his resource material he was now certain regarding the process.]  1) The elite nights are transferred based on the date that your charge is posted (not billed or paid).  2) The elite night credits are based on purchases from January to December of each calendar year and are based on the cumulative amount reached at the end of each month (regardless of your billing date).  3) The elite nights are usually transferred by the 15th of the month in the following month (e.g. if you charged $1500 in January and $1500 in February, reaching $3000, you would receive 1 elite night credit by March 15).  4) Spending on the credit card in December that entitles the recipient to elite nights is posted in January and does NOT count for the previous year's elite night qualification, but for the new year's elite night qualification.

Thus, in answering your question, charges made in mid or late December, 2013 will count as part of your cumulative spending in 2013 but will be credited in January 2014 and will only count towards your 2014 elite night qualification.

In contrast to the above description of the posting of elite night credits, the 15 elite night credits that are posted on the anniversary date / renewal of your Marriott Premier Visa credit card are posted together with the awards points, a day or two after the closing of your billing cycle (e.g. if your renewal date is December 20, 2013, the 15 elite nights will be posted no later than a day or two after that and will count in your 2013 elite night qualification).

I hope that this answers your question -- and that the detailed information that I was given (and which seems to be unknown by most Marriott Visa customer service representatives) is correct...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Does anyone know when charges to a Marriott rewards Visa card are credited to elite nights?
    g.c.line Platinum

As far as updates go, I have noticed that Marriotts rewards seems to update every tuesday as far as visa points, hotel night points and elite nights etc.

njchuck Platinum

I have always thought that the actual date of the stay was used to determine status, promo eligibility, etc. and that the actual points for those stays were posted after the bill is paid.

Example:

I have 2 more nights to go to reach Platinum Status. I stay 2 nights on December 28th and 29th.

My understanding is that you would reach Platinum status for next year even though the points for the stay may not show up in your account until after the bill is paid.

Another example (and this is factual). I have 2 nights left to achieve the current 25 night Megabonus that ends January 15th. I am staying in a hotel the night of the 14th and 15th. I expect that I will qualify for the Megabonus even though I won't pay the bill until later.

Any thoughts?

g.c.line Platinum

From my experience, you actually have 3 different situations / examples here. Your first comment, I believe,  is half correct.  The date of the stays are used to determine status, promos, etc.  You need to remember and separate the  "Marroitt Rewards Elite" program from your Marriott rewards credit card.  The "elite program" is the actual program, and the credit card is simply a credit card that contributes towards your elite nights program.  Example for your yearly "stays" count towards platinum status : One night stay in a  Marriott ($150 - $250.00) (paid for, not using free nights, promo nights etc.) counts directly as one night towards elite nights count towards platinum status, whereas using your credit card I think you have to spend either $2000 or $3000 to earn one elite night credit.  Elite nights from stays are usually posted within a couple of days after checkout, regardless of when they are paid for, and what type of credt card is used or when the bill is paid.  I would guess points / elite nights from credit card action is probably posted after credit card bill is posted, regardless of when it is paid.  I don't charge enough on my credit card that I have ever paid attention to that.  Sorry for the long explanation, but I hope it makes sense.

1st example from comment above  : You should make Platinum status this year on elite nights from from the two stays since they occurred this calendar year regardless of the billing.

2nd example from comment above: I'm sure you will get credit for your stay on the 14th, but the 15th is questionable relative to the promotion, whether you have to check out by the 15th to seal the deal on that night or checking out on the 16th is too late.  I would call the Marriott rewards help line at 1-800-321-7396 they can look at your account etc. and let you kmow where you stand.

Good Luck!

Platinum 28 Reviews

My experience has been:

Points - Normal charge points are credited to my account in a day or two after Chase month closes.

Extra Points (double or triple airline etc) depends on amount  On months when my bonus points exceed 100000 there seems to be a seven to ten day "audit" period.

As for the elite nights (those from credit card spending) - again it depends on how many as to the audit period but never seems to be more than 15 days.

Hope this makes sense and helpful

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

My billing cycle ends at the end of the month,  My statement is dated around the 2nd or 3rd  of the next month, I GET my points 2-4 days later and my elite night credits around the 10th.

My most recent statement closed on Dec 1.  I ot my points on the 5th and my elite nights on the `0th.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...