39 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2016 8:55 PM by pluto77 RSS

Lack of Clarity about Elite Night Credits from Marriott Visa Credit Card -- Can this be Improved?

walksoftly Gold 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

One of the attractive aspects of the Marriott Premier Visa Credit Card is the awarding of bonus elite night credits for each $3000 of purchases made on the card (in addition to Marriott Rewards points for purchases and the benefits given at the time of the annual renewal of the card).  While the MR points appear on the monthly statement of the credit card -- and the annual renewal bonus (15 nights) is stated quite clearly -- the transfer of bonus elite night credits appears to be unnecessarily shrouded in something approaching mystery.  The monthly credit card statements contain no cumulative purchase amount (of the charges during the current calendar year) and, unlike the Marriott Reward points, the monthly statement contains no indication of bonus nights that have been earned.

I would like to pose the question to the community manager or to the representatives of Marriott that monitor "Marriott Rewards Insiders", can this situation be improved?

In a recent response to a question about bonus elite night credits for Marriott Credit Card spending that appeared in "Marriott Rewards Insiders", I recounted my own experience attempting to receive information about whether I would receive a bonus elite night for my recent purchases -- which would bring my elite nights this year from 49 to 50 nights.  My attempts proved to me that the mystery surrounding the awarding of bonus elite nights is not only found among loyal Marriott Rewards members, it is also found among Marriott Reward customer service representatives and Marriott Visa Credit Card customer service representatives.

I will not repeat the full description of my attempts to obtain information about the awarding of bonus elite night credits, but in short, I was (incorrectly)told by 2 customer service representatives of the Marriott Visa Credit Cards that the awarding of elite nights was not determined by them but by Marriott Rewards -- and I was (correctly) told by the customer service representatives of Marriott Rewards that the bonus nights were awarded by the Marriott Visa Credit Cards and that Marriott Rewards had no idea what the cumulative spend was on the credit cards.  After insisting to speak to a supervisor of the Marriott Visa Credit Cards -- and having him read his resource material together with me -- he admitted that the bonus nights were awarded by Marriott Visa and sent to Marriott Rewards.  He had no idea why neither the cumulative spending on the cards nor the fact that bonus nights would be awarded did not appear on the monthly statements and could not be accessed anywhere else until they appeared on the Marriott Rewards Account Overview.

In my specific case, in early November I had been incorrectly told by a Marriott Visa customer service representative that she thought I had earned another bonus night (the one that would bring me to 50 nights), but the night never appeared and, despite what she told me, perhaps it had not been earned.  If I would have been aware of this information, I would have added an additional charge to my Marriott Visa Credit Card that would have guaranteed the additional bonus night -- a win-win-win solution for me, for the Marriott Visa CC and, I think, for Marriott (which would like to keep satisfied loyal customers).

Lack of clarity in divining whether one will earn bonus elite nights is a subject of a number of postings in "Marriott Rewards Insiders".  Creating clarity does not appear to be something that would be difficult to achieve -- and I am certain that it would be appreciated by many members of the Marriott Rewards community.

Thus my question to Marriott:  Can the tracking of cumulative spending and the awarding of elite bonus nights by the Marriott Visa Credit Cards be improved and made more transparent?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lack of Clarity about Elite Night Credits from Marriott Visa Credit Card -- Can this be Improved?
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

That's a great suggestion walksoftly. I too am at the same place you were with 49 nights this year (will go from Plat to Gold if I get the extra night. I actually booked a room downtown on NYE to make #50 because I had no way of knowing if I would get the next night from my cc purchases. One never knows how far into the $3000 you are to the next free elite night towards elite status.

Thanks for asking for this and hopefully NathalieF will take this to the powers that be.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lack of Clarity about Elite Night Credits from Marriott Visa Credit Card -- Can this be Improved?
    7 Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm in the same boat. I just finished my last planned stay of the year & I am 2 night short of Platinum. I received my birthday night notice today, so that should just leave me 1 more.

I know I've had a lot of spend in the last 2 months (somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-4 nights worth), but I'm not sure exactly when I will get credit for it.

Tracking credit of points seems pretty straightforward, but I don't see any way of tracking ENQ without doing it manually. Can I assume that if the stay & points show up in the Account Activity that the ENQ has posted?

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

walksoftly, madmax, jerryl, and pluto77

I am resurrecting this thread as I talked with a Chase customer service representative today who told me that they send a message to the cardholder each time they communicate with Marriott about posting a elite night credit due to credit card spending.  I assured the representative I have never received any type of communication of this nature. Have any of you received any type of communication from Chase indicating they have communicated with Marriott about adding elite night credits due to credit card spending?

The specified item was not found. and merb - could you help clarify this?

Due to the examples above of Chase representatives giving various answers to different MRI I am thinking this is misinformation, but thought I would at least check with others.

jakeal, I have never received any type of communication from Chase indicating the addition of Elite Night Credits as a result of credit card spending.  I do think that they send notice when we receive the annual renewal bonus (the credit of 15 nights).

I have had some private communication with The specified item was not found. since my last posting on this thread in the hope that there would be some sort of official response from the "Marriott credit card team" that would affirm the 5 points that I outlined above that seem to be in effect regarding the awarding of Bonus Elite Night Credits for Marriott credit card purchases.  I am sorry to report that up until now, no official response has been received.  I know that this is not joshm's fault, but I find the lack of response by Marriott to be disappointing, to say the least.

I think that anyone who has tried to receive answers from Chase or from Marriott customer service representatives regarding the more technical aspects of the awarding of the Bonus Elite Night Credits can attest to their lack of knowledge about this (and to the lack of consistency in the answers that are given).

Frankly, I do not understand the lack of williingness by an official representative of the "Marriott credit card team" to respond to the clear points that have been presented in this thread, or to respond to the idea of posting the cumulative purchase amount on the monthly Marriott credit card statement.

Perhaps NathalieF will have more success than joshm, although, frankly, I am not certain about the role that communitymanager plays in these matters.

jakeal, I just checked my old e-mails and the e-mail that I received at the time of my Marriott credit card renewal was from the "Marriott Credit Card Team" and not from Chase.  The e-mail did not mention the 15 Bonus Elite Night Credits, only the free night certificate (categories 1-5).

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

hi jakeal. I am afraid I have heard nothing regarding this issue. Apparently it is not priority in either Chase or Marriott's agendas. I know we have all talked about how easy this situation could be rectified but it doesn't seem to be problematic to either company, at least not enough to help out its customers where they don't have to make spreadsheets to keep up with their progress in promotional nights issued for credit card purchases.

I have given up in trying to keep up and just hoping that they are honest and efficient in posting nights when earned. I appreciate your diligence in supporting this issue and maybe one day we will have an answer. If I do see anything that would benefit us in tracking points/nights awarded, I will certainly post it.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

There is obviously no documentation for representatives to fall back on.  This may seem off-the-wall, but at my work (as it is everywhere), people come and go and retire, and for whatever reason do not provide turnover documentation for their colleagues.  Information is lost and the new staff does not understand the rules or procedures or important nuances of their work.  Often times because of this, they turn to me and my colleagues - the IT team, to search the application program code to find out specifics for them, how things are calculated or determined, and when, and what variables are inter-related, etc. Often the algorithms are very complex.  We end up being not just the technology analysts, but the business and procedures analysts as well.  I think I've even recently read an article that this is becoming more and more common in our industry (sometimes to our great frustration) where we (the techies) have to figure out for others what they (say just for example, accountants) are supposed to be doing (based on how the system works), how they must do it, and why.

My point in this case is that if we could get a c/s rep manager to ask IT support to look at the code that calculates the crediting of nights as well as the job schedules for when these programs run, they could inform the c/s rep managers of 1) how and when it's calculated, when it posts, and whether or not there is an annual reset, and if so, exactly when and whether or not dollars spent at the end of the year fall off.  Also maybe look into how difficult (or easy) it would be to print a summary breakdown of dollars spent and nights earned during the statement period (dollars carried forward, new dollars spent, sub-total of dollars spent minus $3K for each new nights earned, and new balance carried forward into the next statement of dollars spent that will count towards the next night earned, and how many nights were therefore earned during the current statement period.)  It wouldn't be that difficult or expensive to program, or rather print this stuff (the programming is basically already there).  Unless the system is antiquated and the original design is outdated or it would require the continued cost of extra paper.  Just my 2 cents.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

another great reason we should diligently work to pass along to our next generation of family the values that we learned from our parents or whomever raised us. This country will end up just like the "program" we speak of here, possibly lost forever because no one wants to stand up and take the bull by the horns and preserve it. That's 4 cents now I believe.

pluto77 If Marriott asked your IT team to help them resolve the issues referred to in this thread, I am sure that the job would have already been completed!  I think that at a minimum they should thank you for your free advice and then give us the authoritative answers and the desired improvements to the monthly Marriott credit card statement.

Marriott Credit Card Team, where are you?

shakennotstirred Gold 4 Reviews

I would like to add my name to the list of those interested in seeing this topic properly addressed.  I, too, have inquired with Rewards Customer Service about why it was not more evident on the Account Overview screen as to how and when the nights are being accounted for, credited, and displayed.

I am not a heavy traveler, but do want to have the nicest experience possible when traveling with my family.  Because of this, I have decided to go after Gold status each year and it is only because of the use of my Premier card that I am able to achieve enough nights to reach Gold status.  As a result, I am keenly interested in tracking and staying on top of my progress.

An earlier comment suggested there may be an inability to share the necessary information between the credit card folks and the folks at Marriott.  Since our Account Activity screen shows a very accurate break down for Spend Bonus Points in several categories (PREMIER VISA - MARRIOTT SPEND, PREMIER VISA - NON-MARRIOTT SPND, and PREMIER VISA - AIR/CAR/DINE SPND), it suggests that is not the reason.

Therefore, I challenge the powers that be (including the enormously creative IT dept.) to include a new category on the Account Activity screen titled PREMIER VISA - BONUS NIGHT (or something catchier determined by those same powers that be in order to have their buy-in to this).  Since the night earned is just another part of the activity on the account, let's put it out there like the other activity and show it right when it gets earned.

Thanks!

P.S.  While we're in there doing this, let's add another line below Lifetime membership titled "Total Points:" for tracking purposes just like we now track Total Nights.  Thanks, again.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hi Jakeal, I checked with the team about this and the customer service agent had things almost correct. The internal systems between Chase and Marriott do push an alert when the elite night is credited, but that is not a message seen by cardholders. Sorry for the confusion on that.

I am resurrecting this thread as I talked with a Chase customer service representative today who told me that they send a message to the cardholder each time they communicate with Marriott about posting a elite night credit due to credit card spending.  I assured the representative I have never received any type of communication of this nature. Have any of you received any type of communication from Chase indicating they have communicated with Marriott about adding elite night credits due to credit card spending?

lobsterdevil Platinum

Hi, sitting on 49 elite nights for 2014, I'd like to share my dissatisfaction with this continuing situation.

We pay Chase an annual fee for the Marriott Rewards Visa card for stated benefits, yet they are not awarded in a way that we as Marriott Rewards Members and card holders can accurately audit.

followingseas Gold

Hello all,

This is my first post, so plese let me know if I am doing anything wrong.  I think I have figured out how to see how credit card activity is posted to your account:

On the Marriot website, under "My Account", and "Account Overview" you have the option to look at "Nights Detail".  This is what mine says:

Nights Detail

0 nights needed to renew Gold Elite level

8 nights needed to achieve Platinum level

The Rewards Credit Card field includes the annual 15 elite nights/year for holding the card and the remaining 9 are based on credit card usage.  I double checked these with my monthly credit card statements and it appears that these are credited on a monthly basis.

Hope this helps.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Welcome, followingseas!! Way to jump right in!! My name is Cara, and along with lindseyh and deannad, we moderate the Insiders Community. As you may have already seen, this is a great forum to share your travel experiences and recommendations.  It's also a wonderful place to check out what other travelers like yourself have to say about destinations that interest you, so be prepared for your bucket list to grow. If you ever have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to any of us!  I've included a link to our Getting Started Guide, if you'd like to take a look.

Getting Started Guide

Looking forward to hearing more from you!!

ksolsberg Gold

I finally figured that the points are posted soon after the CC statement date, could it be that the nights aren't calculated/awarded until the statement is paid?

ipilcher Platinum

I'm not sure why this question is "assumed answered."  The way that nights are calculated is as mysterious as ever.

For example, my last few (slightly obfuscated) statement totals are:

• 12/11/2015 statement (paid in full on 1/4/2016) - $6,900
    • 1/11/2016 statement (paid in full on 1/26/2016) - $6,500
    • 2/11/2016 statement (paid in full on 3/2/2016) - $13,900

As of today (3/4/2016), marriott.com shows 7 "Rewards Credit Card" nights YTD.

I consider myself fairly creative, but I can't come up with any way in which those statement totals result in 7 nights.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

My statements clearly say: "Also, earn 1 Elite Credit towards Marriott Rewards Elite Status for every $3,000 you spend."

So, for 7 nights you would've spent from $21,000 - $24,000 in 2016. Your 2016 statements seem to put you at $20,400 so was there another $600 in your obfuscation?

Hi ipilcher. There actually is good reason to think that the number of your 2016 Elite Night Credits makes sense.  It depends when you made the purchases on your credit card and what your accumulated amount of purchases were since you first opened the credit card.

Please take a deep breath before you read the following explanation of how the Elite Night Credits are calculated and assigned to a particular year's credits.  The explanation is based on responses that I received from Marriott and a number of individual cases that were examined.

The awarding of Elite Night Credits from purchases made on the U.S. Marriott Visa Credit Card seems to work like this:

1. The amount that you purchased on the credit card in any given month is the basis for the Elite Night Credits you receive the following month (usually in the middle of the second week of the following month).  It does not matter when you actually paid your statement or even the date when the statement closed in a given month. Thus, if you made purchases in January and February 2016 that were listed on your statement from February 11, the January purchases would be included in the calculation for credit nights that you received sometime during the second week of February, but the purchases that you made in February would not yet be considered for the credit nights (that you will receive some time next week).

2. When determining the actual number of Elite Night Credits that you receive in any given month, the calculation includes the "remainder" carried over from the previous month. To give a simple example, if you purchased $4000 one month (and received 1 Elite Night Credit) and $5000 the next month, you would receive 2 nights credit for the next month, as the $1000 "remainder" from the first month would be added to the $5000 that you purchased the next month. This example is, however, over simplified as the "remainders" are calculated from the time that you made your first purchase on the card -- and are carried over from year to year.  This part of the calculation is hidden from us -- and it was this hidden calculation that I unsuccessfully suggested should be stated on the credit card statement.

3. In addition to the above calculations, purchases that are made in December of any given year are calculated for Elite Night Credits that are awarded in January (of the following year).  Thus, any purchases that you made from December 1, 2015 until December 31, 2015 would be counted toward Elite Night Credits in 2016 -- and you would have received them during the second week of January 2016. Some of the purchases on your December 11 statement would be counted for Elite Night Credits in 2016, but the purchases that appear on you December 11 statement that were made before December 1 would have been counted for night credits that you received in December and they would be 2015 Elite Night Credits.  This being said, because of paragraph #2 above, there would undoubtedly have been "remainders" from the calculation of purchases made in November (and credited in December) that were carried over into your December calculation of purchases -- which was the basis for the Elite Night Credits that you received in January.

Sound complicated?  I guess it is. I suggest that you try to figure out the relation between Elite Night Credits that you have received in 2016 and the purchases that you made in December and January (regardless of the statement on which they appeared) and see whether the awarding of 7 Elite Night Credits makes sense based the rules that I mentioned above.  Keep in mind that because of the calculation of the "remainders", you may have received one more night than your purchases seem to justify.  Let me know whether using the above rules gives you a result that makes sense.

Hoosteve Gold

walksoftly  This is awesome.

In #1, you bolded Purchased.  I am wondering if it is actually Posted?  ex.  you go to dinner and charge on 6/30 but it does not post until 7/1 or later.  Would this be in the July numbers?

FYI - I have had the card for a long time and thus I had no idea where I stood in the rollover/$3,000 mark.

So, from Chase website I e-mailed customer service and asked what was my June 2016 rollover amount.  They actually replied in < 24 hours with an amount.  Now, I have a starting point!  It is easy to download  transactions to csv/excel if you want to track months (but - see my purchase/posted question for charges near end of month).  There is a limit of how far you can pull transaction (something like 4-6 months).  In my thankful reply to them, i asked if I could see this on my own (assuming a big NO) and if not, made a friendly suggestion to add that feature.

It resets annually on January 1st.  However much you've spent towards your last $3,000 spend on Dec. 31st goes bye-bye.  I don't like it either, but knowing such can perhaps help customers strategically plan their C/C spend to hit that last $3K sweet spot, so that any remaining spend credits don't get "tossed."

bigmrm Platinum

@pluto77 It has not been my experience that it resets annually on Jan 1st. In fact, quite the opposite. I frequently charge up a bunch at the end of the year and then not use the card much for a bit. (Not a plan, it's just worked out that I travel more at year's end and very little in the first few months of the year.) I'll charge a relatively small amount in the first couple of months of the year -- under $1000 -- and a month or so later I'll get my nights' credit for the spend. There is no way I spent $3K.

All I can tell you is that I contacted customer service with this exact question, this is the answer that I was given, and it coincides with my credit card spending patterns. Also, after so much experience with dealing with c/s reps, I can pretty much tell when the person I'm speaking with knows their stuff, or not. The rep that explained this to me struck me as one who knows their business, and as I mentioned, my numbers bore that out. Don't know what else to tell ya. Or others.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...