9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2014 12:54 PM by jakeal RSS

Any advice for golf-friendly US areas with associated Marriott hotels/deals?

vinnie Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I'm a UK resident planning a 2-3 week US vacation for July/August 2014 and I'd welcome any advice for good US states/areas which offer good value golf facilities and packaged golf deals (and even better if these may be combined with any local Marriott deals!).

Any first-hand experiences most welcome.

Many thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Any advice for golf-friendly US areas with associated Marriott hotels/deals?
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Wow - LOTS (and I mean) LOTS of good options!!!

But let me first suggest this.  On the Marriott reservation site (which has been redesigned), scroll down to where it says  Other Ways to Find Hotels  - and then click on Golf Resorts  (that's a live link, just click it) - you'll see a couple of dozen options...

But that's just the tip of the iceberg - there are many more....  Close to home (in the DC area), we're big fans of the Westfields facility - Chantilly Hotels | Marriott Westfields Washington Dulles Hotels - this course is (very) popular as a DC-area tournament (scramble) center, and they are terrific hosts - we host an annual tournament there, and our guests always leave happy...  Granted, it's not like some of the more rural properties, for example, like the Kentucky facility - Lexington, Kentucky Hotel: Griffin Gate Marriott, a Lexington, Kentucky Spa Resort ...  As a bargain hunter, I'd consider Las Vegas - Resorts in Las Vegas | Las Vegas Luxury Resort | JW Marriott Las Vegas  ...   And, as you probably know, the Florida (particularly Orlando) region is popular, and then there's Hawaii, and, the list goes on... [And IAHFLYER is spot on - Phoenix is a great spot (and a bargain in the summer) - there are some really nice properties there - check out the Camelback and the Buttes properties...]

So, can you offer some parameters?  It's a big country, and there are lots of ways to approach this...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Any advice for golf-friendly US areas with associated Marriott hotels/deals?
      vinnie Platinum

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply.

Sunshine would be nice to accompany th golf vacation (but I guess in July/August that this will not be a problm in most of the US!). I'm toldthat some states/areas offer flexible, interchangable golf vouchers across a number of local courses which are particularly good value....any first-hand knowledge of these?

Thanks again for such a good response. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

During that time of the year the Phoenix/Scottsdale area has fabulous deals on some of the finest courses in the country due to the heat.  As long as you stay well hydrated it's easy to play 36 holes on two different courses each day and be fine, my son and I have done this type of trip often and enjoyed each day even with the temperatures in the 110-115 range.

Also, the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail through Alabama is excellent.  Beautiful challenging courses with great deals and packages.

Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail Golf Trail

There are plenty of Marriott properties scattered along the route with a very nice Renaissance Hotel right on the golf course at Ross Bridge in Birmingham. 

Hotel in Birmingham | Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Welcome UK traveler - golfer. There are so many great golf courses and places to visit in the U.S.!

We recently stayed a week at the Marriott Vacation Club, Legends Edge, Panama City Beach, Florida (below).MVC-Bay Point - 2013 006.jpg

You can fly from UK into Atlanta and take short flight to Panama City, FL, and MVC is only some 45 minutes away. A little further North, on the coast of South Carolina, is Hilton Head, where there are just short of 10 Marriott facilities - including a Marriott hotel. As a MVC owner, however, we stay at the Grande Ocean, shown below, and you can choose from a host of golf courses - Sea Pines Plantation, Harbor Town, etc.

DSCN0014.JPG

The weather might be a bit testy this time of the year, but the JW Marriott at Desert Ridge, North of Phoenix, AZ, is one of the most fabulous Marriott's - in my opinion - in the U.S. It's a bit pricy, but the accommodations and food are great and challenging golf courses on the property.

Back to the East Coast, North of Hilton Head is Charleston, S.C. - not exactly known for its golf, but by some acclaim is the No. 1 tourist city in the U.S.A. (photo below)  Plenty of places to stay downtown and great places to eat and places to visit, and if you want to play golf some, you might want to stay at the Courtyard on Isle of Palms, some 15 miles from downtown Charleston, and you might be able to obtain a temporary pass for playing at "Wild Dunes".

Charleston-2013 037.jpgMoving North from Charleston is Myrtle Beach and if you can't find a golf course to meet your golfing passion on this coastal town you're out of luck! Weather in the S.E. U.S. is reasonably good for winter-month golfing, but the "golfing capital" in the U.S. is Pinehurst, North Carolina, and the granddaddy hotel is the Carolina in the heart of Pinehurst (see link below)

http://www.pinehurst.com/accommodations/

There is a Marriott Spring Hill Suites outside of Pinehurst near Southern Pines, and a host of additional golf courses in Southern Pines.

You can fly from UK to Charlotte, N.C. via B.A., and take connector to Raleigh, N.C., and drive about 1 hour, S.E. to Pinehurst Resort.

This is but a few suggestions; hope it's helpful.

Fred

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Consider the Robert Trent Jones Trail of courses in Alabama.  There are several Marriotts at or near the courses.  And great golf!

Or, a better climate in July/August might be Michigan.  Great golf there too.

kathylu Silver 1 Reviews

Phoenix Arizona has some nice Marriotts and they have great golf courses as well.  I agree with the Robert Trent Trail courses.  We did that last year and my favorite course was Ross Bridge...it is a gorgeous course.  You can stay in any one of the Marriott chains and there were some in that area.   I would do that in Spring or the fall...the summer is much too hot.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

vinnie,

If you are still planning your summer 2014 US trip and looking for potential golf courses you might find the following post helpful:

In Full Swing: Where to Tee Off in the U.S. This Summer

Also, if you are going to be on the East Coast you could consider a trip down the coast - start with the MVC property in New Jersey, consider the Westfields Marriott that ssindc mentioned in an earlier post.  Virginia also offers another MVC property in Williamsburg that has a golf course on-site and you would not be too far of a drive from the beautiful courses mentioned earlier in the Carolinas.

Happy planning!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...