3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 10:59 AM by misterchk RSS

70,000 bonus points with credit card

hotballer619 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Everyone,

I recently signed up for the Marriott Rewards Credit Card with the 70k bonus points after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months. I intended to spend the $1000 in the first week I got the card to secure those 70k bonus points to use towards my hotel I am going to in Rome in a month. Before I signed up for the card, I was told by Chase that if I spent $1,000 before my first statement close (January 10), then the point will be in my account before my trip on January 19. I called back just to make sure and now Chase is telling me 4-6 weeks. I am not sure what happened, but the person I spoke with the first time at chase told me she guaranteed the points would be in my account and if they werent then chase can put them in there with no trouble. I am kind of worried and wanted peoples idea on what I should do if the points dont make it into my account before my trip. Is there a way to borrow points if they arent? any suggestions?

Thank you 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 70,000 bonus points with credit card
    richard37075 Platinum

I'm sure they are trained to tell you whatever they think you want to hear to ensure you will sign up for the credit cards.

If you don't have the name and extension of the person you spoke with, you are probably out of luck.  I'm not sure about Chase, but I have had a similar situation with American Express.  I politely asked when the points would post, and they gave the same 4 to 6 weeks.  I asked if there was any way they could expedite the request and they gladly posted the points the next day as a "one time exception."

They other option would be to contact Marriott Reward Customer service and ask if you can "borrow the points".  I know Platinums are allowed to do this, but not sure about Gold members.  Basically they lend you the points, and you have a period of time (I believe one year) to earn the points to pay back the loan.  If you don't earn the points back they will charge your credit card on file just like you were buying points from the Marriott site.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 28 Reviews

The problem can be the administrative bureaucracy between Chase and Marriott - Chase actually (My experience) very adept at immediately transferring earned points to Marriott.

Once received (again my experience) a portion of the amount transferred is immediately credited to your account.  The balance (as in my case this month of 150000 points) can get hung up in an audit status and be delayed by up to ten business day (not from any Marriott info, this is based on my account).

I think what I'm trying to say is keep your fingers crossed.  Don't be shy about calling MR once you know that Chase has transmitted in the info.

Have a great trip to Italy

erc Platinum

misterchk is spot on hotballer, it's in the system and you have to crank it out (I've had similar issues as the two of you). Start with Chase, they are superb 99 out of 100 times (and if you get the one who isn't - call back), confirm that they have transferred the points/credit whatever term they use to the Marriott side of the equation (get as specific info of the process as you can).  Then call Marriott and keep calling until you feel you have an 'advocate' for your situation.

This can be done - whether it is or not, depends on your polite persistence, and your good fortune in finding a rep who cares (and there are many of them out there both ways, so keep at it). Good luck.

Like richard37075 writes, you can reserve rooms with points before actually having the balance, but of course the risk is that if you don't secure the balance, you could face an ugly room rate. (I'm presuming with a trip to Rome only a month away, you've already gone out of pocket on airfare and you've placed your bet). A possible 'lesser of two evils' alternative is to book the room with points - start your securing the point transfer process, and reserve a non-cancellable rate that you can live with.   Best wishes toward a pleasant outcome.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...