5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2013 9:07 PM by vaboywnder RSS

Best use of Category 1-4 Hotel in NYC Area

waltercat Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I just signed up for this great site as well as the Marriott rewards Visa and have received my first free night for a category 1-4 hotel. I figured I would use it for a extended weekend jaunt someplace from NYC. Does anyone have any ideas of how best to use free night deals?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Best use of Category 1-4 Hotel in NYC Area
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

You might check my reply to similar request for NYC 2 days ago , where I suggested Courtyard on 5th/40th or the Marriott on Lexington. Either would be great location for you in the city.

Fred

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

waltercat Silver

Sorry I should be more clear, I live in NYC and looking to take an extended weekend someplace in the area of NYC, like Long Island, NJ or upstate NY.

erc Platinum

waltercat

Welcome to Insiders. Go to the Marriott web site and click on Find and Book Marriott Hotels on the newer site (unfortunately Marriott has changed web sites, so there are a couple floating around out there or else I'd be more specific) or Hotel Directory Explore on the older site - but bottom line, go to the link that provides you a list of all of their hotels. Click on US, then New York. Next go to Hotel Reward Category and click on Category 4. This will provide you with a list of all of the NY state category 4s that your certificate would be good at (you can of course also do Cat. 1-3s). Take a look see what you like and then check back at this site to either read the reviews or to ask, "hey what do people think of the Residence Inn in New Rochelle etc etc.

If you're going to go as far as upstate New York, then I would suggest you consider the nation's capital, there are some terrific Cat. 4 properties in Arlington (for example the Pentagon City Residence Inn or the Capital View Residence Inn) and Alexandria Va.(SpringHill on Eisenhower Ave.) with excellent metro service into the city.

Once you pick a hotel, just reserve it on Marriott.com as if you were using points, once you select the dates and property the site will prompt you (it should be by default), telling you that you have a certificate do you wish to use that instead of points and you confirm that you do and you're on your way.

As you get more specific in where you're headed, get back and folks will share activity and restaurant ideas. Have a great time and again welcome to Insiders, be sure to share how it went after you enjoy your extended weekend.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

excellent advice erc!

waltercat Silver

This is great advice, thanks! I didn't know they had a browse hotels option. Took me a bit of time to find as I didn't realize that the 3 bars in the upper righthand corner opened up a menu...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...