15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2014 6:39 PM by profchiara RSS

How to earn last minute nights to stay Platinum

mlj Gold
Currently Being Moderated

What are the various ways I can do this before the end of the year?  i do not have rollover left and I'm 11 nights shy.  I had  booked 5 nights with points but am reading in these posts that those wont count?  Any help?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How to earn last minute nights to stay Platinum
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Hi mlj,

Even if you fall short, there is a very good chance they will offer the buyback program in 2014. They have in years past and I don't see why they wouldn't offer it again.

https://www.marriott.com/marriott/elitebuyback.mi

Reinstate Your Level

As one of our valued Elite members, we understand that your travel needs vary from year to year and that occasionally you might not have the required number of stays to maintain your Elite status. We know how important Marriott Rewards benefits are to you – so we are offering you a limited-time opportunity to buy back your status for 2013 using points that you may have already earned.

Here's all it takes to reinstate your level:

Points required to buy back Platinum status - 40,000
    Points required to buy back Gold status - 25,000
    Points required to buy back Silver status - 7,500

Remember, if you don't have enough points in your account, you can always
    buy up to 50,000 points every year.

This offer is valid through April 1, 2013 and allows only one level of buyback, which must match the Elite level you enjoyed in 2012.

Once your status has been reinstated, Marriott Rewards will send you a new valid membership card for your restored Elite level.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I would add that if you dont already have the chase issued marriott credit card, that will give you 15 nights and a cat 1-5 one night free cert. There is an annual fee, but I believe it may be waived for the first year. There are links on the landing page for Marriott to apply for the card, or just google or bing your way to it. You may find that the card benfit is better than trying to get a mattress run or use points for a buyback (assuming it is offered again, and I only say that as although it has been offered in the past, it may or may not be offered again in the future). Good luck in your quest.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

mlj

Book a meeting room at any Marriott brand property under Rewarding Events.  You'll earn 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for a single event, even if it's just a 1 hour meeting.  And perhaps just book a night stay to makeup the final night.  The credit card awards 1 EQN per $3,000 spent, but I think it's too late for it to accrue this year already. 

Good Luck! 

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

kharada46,

You would have to book 10 rooms though to get the 10 elite night credits right?

earn.JPG

https://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/rewards.mi

vaboywnder,

Not at all.  All you need is the meeting.  Unless there was a change  recently, you will receive 10 Elite Nights for any meeting you book.  The 10 rooms is for a group block with or without a meeting.  Weddings and other social events also qualify.  I've done the meetings in the past and also received 10 Elite Qualifying nights for my wedding this year despite having only 4 rooms. 

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

kharada46,

I wonder if something has changed.  According to the Rewarding Events Website that I referenced above it states "Earn 10 Elite nights when you book 10+ guest rooms for at least one night"

Maybe merb , ansaa or The specified item was not found. can look into this for us.

The FAQ uses different language that allows for any of the event types to earn.  I've got my fingers crossed that nothing has changed as I'm doing this right now to maintain Platinum!  Hopefully our community leaders can get us a clarification on the confusing language being used. 

By the way, are you seeing the "new" marriott.com again?  I thought they weren't going to use this version again after the negative response from the beta?

https://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/rewarding-events-faqs.mi

feiney Platinum

It seems no one has answered you initial question.  If you cash in points for your stay it doesn't count toward your nights.  I looked into the option of turning my points into Marriott checks and using those to pay for nights, but it just wasn't a good value.  11 nights shy is a lot of nights...to many to try and find a super saver hotel deal.  The meeting suggestion is good as is the credit card if you don't have it.

A few years ago in Mid December I took a vacation in what I had thought would be my last stay as  Platinum member for a year because I was going to fall a few nights shy.  It came up in the conversation with the hotel manager when he checked me in and noticed i would be a few nights shy on my profile.  About 30 minutes later he called me in my room and said he was going to sponsor me for another year.  It just started that vacation on such an awesome note.  Maybe you will find the same luck.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi all,

I'm not in this position, but if some of you have tons of extra thousands or millions of points left over, does Marriott let you gift them to charities? I know Delta does with Skymiles.

ProfChiara

I'm happy to report my Elite Qualifying Nights & Points have posted for my two meetings!  I guess it really does depend on the property.  I'll remain a Plat. for one more year! 

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I am delighted to reply that my Gold Status was renewed even though I had only 27 nights and not nearly enough points. My guess is MRI Insiders, although it's frankly not much of possible lost revenue to Marriott since I only stayed at the Marriott Venice Courtyard and Athens Ledra last year.  Still, one can hope that there are things that will lure me back, though I for one have found the grass greener on the independent, non-loyalty program site (not just Marriott).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...