13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2017 5:01 PM by brightlybob RSS

Marriott Rewards History - Portfolio of Resorts 1993

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

22 Resorts worldwide.  That was the list in January 1993.  I stayed at 11 of them, half.

Marriott Portfolio of Resorts.jpg

Some are gone - Sam Lord's (Castle) Resort burned down after being de-branded.

Rancho Las Palmas is still in existance, but not a Marriott property

Had some very good memories at the 11 resorts that I stayed at, with The Camelback Inn being my favorite.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards History - Portfolio of Resorts 1993
    chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Hey lakersfan, that fascinating. 

I used to have the target of staying at every Marriott in the UK but I had to give that idea up a few years ago … Marriott just keep adding to / removing from their portfolio and it was difficult to keep pace.

My recorded history only goes back to 2002 as I had a major falling out with one of the hotels in the chain in the early 90s and switched my allegiance.  However, in 2002 I had to stay at the Swindon Marriott for a few weeks and was completely won over by the team there and switched back.  Looking through my records, I have stayed at 38 of the existing 63 hotels in the UK portfolio and 3 that are no longer Marriott.  I may tick a few more off in the UK but 25 seems a long shot.

I think that we are now more focused on non-UK Marriotts.  We have only stayed at 2 of those on your 1993 list … palm Desert and Key West.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Thanks chrisf!  My original Marriott goal was to stay in all 100 Marriott hotels when there were only 100 Marriott hotels.  Started in 1987 and reached that goal in 2001.

Staying at over half in the UK is a feat!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Here's an oldie but a goodie.  Check out this list gang.

superchief1 Platinum

One of my favorite MR reward redemptions was at the Casa Marina Resort in Key West, which is now a Waldorf Astoria property. At that time, 110k MR points got me 7 nights in an upgraded suite on the beach, free air fare for 2 on Delta, and a free 7 day Hertz rental. Those were the days.

superchief1...Do  you remember the year?   I did something similar to Arizona in 1997 for 120,000 points if I recall correctly. It included 2 RT Tix on USAir and 1/2 off the Hertz rental.

superchief1 Platinum

I think it was in the early nineties. My older daughter was probably 6-8 yr old. I still remember her dragging me outside to the balcony to see the women who were sunbathing topless on the beach. Key West was always like being in another country. This was prior to it becoming overcrowded. Restaurants and snorkeling were outstanding and affordable.

We also took a cruise from one of our 110k reward packages that included buy 1/get 1 free cruise certificate in addition to the other rewards. At that time, I could redeem my week at Royal Palms for 110k points. Now, I still only get 110k points for my week but my points sure don't get much value. This is why MVC resorts are seldom available for MR redemptions. 

zunilily46 Platinum

I Do remember the good times. Been a MR member since 1985 and in 1990 cashed in around 200,000 points and got 5 nights at the George V in Paris, a week's rental car and 4(four) round trip tickets anywhere in the world. Had to give my dad two of the tickets because we didn't have any more vacation time. Try not to stay at too many resorts as the benefits for Platinum are non existent.

superchief1 Platinum

I had the pleasure of staying at the George V a few times for business travel in the early 90's. It was a great property and I recall several great meals in the restaurant. I feel very fortunate to have enjoyed Marriott Rewards during the Golden Age prior to the significant devaluation,

erc Platinum

painedplatinum

I see you're waxing nostalgic today - as Bob would say, "thanks for the memories" (you must have driven by the site of the old City Line Marriott this week ).

I observed some interesting (puzzling?) traits about my reaction to this post; I had stayed at 17 of the 22 'resorts', mostly while a Marriott employee (some on work assignments). When my new bride (no not honeymoon, that was at the Essex House, before they sold it to the Japanese) and I stayed at the Sam Lord's Castle, I kid you not, they only had two television channels; one was a local station and the other broadcast cricket 14-18 hours a day (our pal arkwright would have a blast).

Today, I'd probably be whining about these resorts not offering breakfast. Yet, I just returned from a lovely stay at Summit Watch Park City timeshare, where of course we did our own breakfast and didn't moan at all - there's those behavioral economics biases again. Yeah, I know, it makes me a ... Posts Of The Week – Sick As A Dog Edition - Personal Finance Whiz

I'm eager to see the impact on resorts once the two loyalty programs merge. Of course, whereas the resorts at Starwood provide breakfasts, at those prices (vs. Marriotts), I view them as included .

Thanks for the walk down memory lane

erc...How'd you know? I just swung by City Line Ave on Sunday. I was on the way to clearing the snow off the walk in front of my daughter's house. She was enjoying the scene in Nashville and it was good old Dad to the rescue.

Yes sir, good memories from some of these old posts.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

To lakersfan (to whom I must offer the confession that I've yet to visit any of his listed resorts - mea culpa) and to Erc (whose reference to cricket I could not ignore  )

Well, reading of 14-18 hour cricket broadcasts most readers could be forgiven for assuming that the viewer would have enjoyed at least one completed match - if not more. But "no": such are (or perhaps were - things have changed a little recently) the idiosyncrasies of the game, and the English weather, that you could easily watch a game for 5 days without getting a result!

And, in a way, that's the key to understanding this strange game: for the best part of a century the pervasive morality of the game declared that playing was infinitely more important than winning. "The game's the thing!" This mentality was very much a legacy of status-conscious British society in the 19C. Participants was strictly divided into two categories - amateurs (aka "Gentlemen") and players, whose abiding sin was that they were paid for playing. Until the early 1960s, one of the big games was "Gentlemen vs Players, played at the home of cricket, a ground called Lords. Until 1953, the captain of the England XI was always an amateur. Looking back, the degree of segregation was extraordinary: Gents and Players occupied separate changing rooms; they came on to the pitch through separate gates; they were described differently - the Gent's initials were placed before his name, the Player's after it. In reality, these differences concealed a massive deception; on the field of play (and off it sometimes)

the Gents were just as devious, shifty and conniving as their professional counterparts - if not more so!

By now, you could be forgiven for asking what on earth all this has to do with Marriott Rewards. And with apologies to the Insiders team, the answer, I must admit, is "nothing".

Different categories of Exec Lounge? I don't think so - but there is a Marriott (Regents Park, with a newly refurbished Exec Lounge) just around the corner from Lord's, should you feel inclined to spend a pleasant afternoon in the sun, doing....nothing.

Best for now,

Arkwright

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I used to live around the corner from Edgbaston, and when I first set up on my own chose my office purely for location next to Warwickshires holy ground, and the venue for our incredible 2-run ashes win 2005 that was the foretaste of an (alas, all too brief) early 21st century Renaissance of English cricket. Of course on most recent performance, a 6-wicket defeat against India, 2017 looks like being another depressing year - not that we care... get down to Lords/Edgbaston/Trafford Park and enjoy a few bottles and sandwiches in the sun... heck, if we're lucky 5 days of play might lead to a draw

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...