28 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2014 10:19 PM by garytx RSS

Marriott Rewards History - before there were categories

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have most of my Marriott Rewards and Honored Guest statemtnes.  Why, I don't know, but I have them.  On the back of my June 1997 statement is a reward chart.
Before there were Categories.jpg

Earlier statments do not have an award chart on the back.  It is interesting that there were no hotel categories, except by brand.  And, there were no Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites, TownPlace Suites, Renaissance, etc. hotels listed.

Thought this might be interesting to share.  I started a discussion Marriott Rewards History and home some of you long-timers will add.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards History - before there were categories
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

The good old days, long gone and not forgotten!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

lakersfan,

Pretty cool..thanks for sharing.  If I remember correctly the Courtyard Brand came first before the Fairfield Inn Brand was introduced.  Does that sound right?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Yes,

Thanks for sharing!

"Life was easy, and the catfish were biting"!

taxman415 Platinum

What is the difference between choice and select... Thanks.. Very cool stuff...

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

what an interesting tidbit of info from Marriott past. Thanks for sharing it lakersfan. That is one of the reasons why you were insider of the month, coming up with information all like to read about.

superchief1 Platinum

If I recall correctly, 'choice' and 'select' options referred to the demand period rather than hotel class. I wish I had an award chart from earlier days. When I purchased my first timeshare in late 80's, 110k MR points could get me 7 nights in any hotel/resort worldwide, plus 2 roundtrip coach tickets on most major airlines, plus 1 week free Hertz car rental. I also recall a cruise award component but don't remember the details. At that time, I could deposit my timeshare week for 110k MR points.

Many years later, I still only receive 110MR for my week, but only receive about 5 nights in a Courtyard for it.

Thanks for bringing back good memories. We were fortunate to have traveled a lot during the glory days of travel.

Thanks for the comments and additional info.  Yes, I forget the years, but I remember when airlines were offering tripple miles and you could earn both airline and Hertz car rental bonus for your HGA account.  I probably have a statement showing that.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Your record keeping system must be either very efficient or very large!  I thought that I was bad at keeping too much 'stuff' but I now own a shredder … it is being worked hard since I retired.  Do you still have all of your MR Cards too?

Probably not all, but I have a box, up in my office closet, that I will have to get down.  I believe it has old Marriott, Continental and American Airlines membership cards.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Back in the day Courtyard had a club separate from Marriott Honored Guest/Rewards. Can't recall when they merged or if points transferred.

superchief1 Platinum

I was a member of both and frequently stayed in Courtyards because I was in R&D (rather than Marketing) at the time and Marriotts often exceded our guidelines. At that time, Courtyard truly led the industry, effectively targeting the business traveler with a high quality product at a fair value (unlike today).  They were primarily newer hotels well located in suburban areas. I believe that Courtyard's program was based on receiving free night certificates after a certain number of nights (I think 1 night for every 10). I don't recall receiving anything when programs were merged, but that was a long time ago.

lakeerie Platinum

Nice memories on the old clubs.

Some of us longtime Courtyard Club guests in the 90s earned lifetime gold in Courtyard Club.  Once the various branded clubs were merged into the single MarriottRewards program, all our accumulated points and stays and current status passed over.  But what about the lifetime elite program membership?s

As I recall, earning Courtyard Club Gold was significantly more than MarriottRewards Silver, but a little easier than earning MarriottRewards Gold.

So how has MarriottRewards accomodated those members already grandfathered in at Courtyard Club lifetime Gold?

garytx Gold 18 Reviews

Agreed, it's kind of a shame. I was a Gold member of Courtyard Club, and as far as I know, everything just evaporated when that went away. No contribution to lifetime stays, status, or points. It was a good program for sure.

superchief1 Platinum

Courtyard has sure changed. They were the priemiere business hotel for those of us with corporate policies limiting our FS stays. Now,  I avoid Courtyards, especially for business stays. They have nothing to offer the business traveler.

garytx Gold 18 Reviews

Courtyards were my go-to hotel for business travel in the 80s and 90s. Absolute consistency, just what you need, not a lot of what you don't. I hadn't stayed in one since 2000 or so (had a spell of working for employers who preferred other brands) until a couple of months ago. I stayed at a fairly new Courtyard property in Longmont, Colorado, and was utterly disappointed. No resemblence to the Courtyard experience of days passed. I'd much sooner stay in a Fairfield now (though usually can stay at higher end Marriotts now) than a Courtyard.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...