46 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2014 8:39 PM by jack613 RSS

Member Discount Parking Price

crichmac Silver 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Why is there no discounted or free parking for Marriott members?  and why can we use points for outrages parking prices at some Marriott hotels?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Baltimore, Maryland, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor
  • Re: Member Discount Parking Price
    pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Oftentimes the owners/managers of the parking lot are not the same as those of the venue. Plus, when you think about it, it is another revenue stream at full dollar amount rather than the hotel getting an exchange on points of about 50-55 cents per actual dollar.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

marriottuseree Silver

Crazy prices for parking, right?  Just stayed at Springhill Suites in Baltimore, MD for around $94 but the parking charge was $35!  Good breakfast though.

panusr Platinum 1 Reviews

I love forgetting the parking fees in places like L.A.. I create my corporate travel request, and forget that the hotel bill will be another $500.00 after staying a couple of weeks. Then there is the wait for the car, the constant tip for parking/retrieving the car, and the short-staffed valet that is too busy to answer the phone and take your ticket number. But I still love the road, and I will keep paying.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Wow, that's ridiculous marriottuseree

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

I don't know!  It does seem ridiculous.  I'm not looking forward to paying for parking at my upcoming drip at the Marco Island Marriott.  They sure know how to get you!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

aje5837,

The Marco Island resort parking rate is well worth the visit to the resort, at $12 for self or $22 for valet a night that's a bargain compared to San Francisco Wharf Marriott at $50 a night or Seattle Waterfront Marriott at $39 a night.  Can't leave out the JW Marriott LA Live parking rates at $42. 

While I agree with pingreeman, it would be nice for Marriott to offer a reduced parking rate based on your elite level.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Recently spent three days in San Francisco on Union Square.

I was so incensed about the parking rates I suffered the month before I tried to calculate  taxi costs vs the parking fees.  After adding in the residual fees at locations I would be driving to and/or valet tips/fees I went ahead and executed the "take taxis" experiment.

My total costs exceeded parking fees by approx $19.00.  BUT, the lack of aggravation and stressful traffic made every penny of the nineteen bucks worth it!

Something to think about when you are in a City that is easy to get around without a car.

If we didn't enjoy so much of The Bay area and used a car every day we'd always walk around the city, but with going to the wine country, driving the coast and other day trips we need a car.  So rather than rent a car each day we just take the parking rate root canal and quietly hand the valet our life savings!

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

Totally in agreement -  I was referring to a business trip where your transportation requirements during your stay would be within the general confines of the city.

The trip I used as a test included an appointment across the Bay in Oakland.  Used BART with no inconvenience.

I fortunate only being 400 miles away from the Wine Country that we make specific trips there avoiding San Francisco completely by Southwesting (a new verb) into Oakland, securing  a car there and on to NAPA!!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

We just crunched the numbers for our Seattle trip next weekend and decided to go the taxi and light rail route.  Will let you all know how it shakes out

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

misterchk, a block away is the Stockton Street public parking garage. Overnight rates are a whole lot cheaper than the hotel parking but there's no in-out privileges. From 6:00pm to 9:00am it's $1.00 an hour.

I'll be staying at the Union Square Marriott next month, what were your impressions?

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Parking at Marco used to be free, but you know how that goes. And unlike to some properties, like SF Airport and Woodland Hills Marriott's, which have ample street parking available, there's none in Marco. Nice property though!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Even worse, at Marco Island, they don't seem to have enough parking places.  You are charged and then drive around for no telling how long trying to find a parking place.  By evening, many park illegally and hope not to be towed.

californian

Is that where the parking is mostly across the road from the hotel?

It is yes.  We go down there for lunch and a drink often from Ft. Myers and the lot across the street is normally packed, by early afternoon during high season it's tough to find a place without parking illegally. 

In November last year which was the last time we've been there for lunch I just gave the valet guy a $20 and told him we are only here for lunch if he'd be so kind as to park it along the stairs leading up to the hotel from the street, he did and all was good.

I was told that beach goers say that they are staying at the Marriott and no one checks.  When they are leaving, they just pay and it is too late to keep them our.

That has been my approach also at this property IAHFLYR.

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Oh no!  We're going there in July.  Is it really busy then?  Not looking forward to the hassle of parking at the Marco Island Marriott!

aje5837,

It seems July would be low season however; every time we drive down for lunch the place is always full of activity simply because it is a gorgeous property.  If you can find a way to snag one of the Lanai rooms somehow you'd be in heaven and forget all about any parking issues.  Those rooms are simply incredible in size and view of the Gulf, but either way the place reminds me of being in Hawaii.

I'm not sure what the daily rate to park is, but it might be worth it for peace of mind to valet.  You can drive past the hotel and look at the parking lot on the left to see how full it is, then turn around and either park or pull up to the front of the hotel and valet.  Don't stress out over parking, it will be fine.

I agree IAHFLYR.  The beauty of this spot is so spectacular that you'll forget any parking issues.

You will forget about parking except when you are driving around and can't find a spot.

Or you can just pay the extra $10/day for valet and be done with it!

Currently on their site Valet is $22 and on site self parking is $12.  If you don't see any parking spots available on a drive by tell the front desk to charge you for self parking even though you did valet due to the lack of parking spaces in that lot across the street, might work.

I go to extremes to avoid valet parking.  I have had my car damaged 3 times, once major, and have never been able to collect.  A while ago, my car was 5 days old when I gave it to valets.  When they brought it out, I saw a ding on drivers door.  When one has a new car, they notice everything about it for a while.  I would have noticed it if it had been there.  I showed it to the valet and was told that it was there.  I talked to the manager and asked him to show me the pictures that they take when the car is brought in.  He said they don't take pictures and checked and claimed that the person who took the car in wrote that there was a ding n my door.  The cost was only $100 to fix but they did nothing. 

The worst, the whole passenger side was side swiped.  The other my red car had some white paint where a door opening scraped my car.  The last time, they gave me $50.

I also hate having to take things out of my car since they tell you not to leave valuables in the car.  Then there are the times that you forget to remove something from your car and have to tip the valet to get it for you,  I hate having to wait for my car when they are busy and I wait 20 minutes and more.  I can go on and on but I hate valet parking.

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

You've got some great points IAHFLYR!  I will keep this in mind!  Why should we have to pay extra if they don't have enough spots!

Exactly, or as I think it was californian that mentioned earlier call the hotel and find out when shift change is and if it's 3 PM come in just after 3 PM and you'll find a spot where an employee was parked.

Of course when the hotel asked you why you called asking for shift change times you can tell them because of parking and maybe they'll give you free parking since you're an INSIDER!

Very true californian.  I goes the idea is once you find a spot, never move your vehicle.

This is in the paid parking area.  I have had to drive around for 15 - 20 minutes looking for a parking place.  What I did find that if your time it when hotel employees are getting off work and leaving, several places open up.  This makes one think when you want to take your car out for dinner and have to hope for a place upon return.  It is not good and they charge for places that may not be available.  If you can't find a spot, they want you to valet your car and pay even more.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I knew  costs were getting out of hand when daily rent-a-car rates were cheaper than hotel's parking fees.

suzysharp Platinum

So very true! The last time I stayed in downtown Chicago it was 49 a night for parking... insane...

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Wouldn't that be nice!!  Good ideas!

Parking rate in S.F. wharf area is about $30.00 per day. Wow!

Us old-timers use to be able to get a room for that price.

Not sure what property you are looking at, but the Fisherman's Wharf Marriott parking is $50/day.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

crichmac,

Sorry to say, "I don't think we will ever see "Discounted Parking" for Marriott Guests.  The parking is not under their control, and it just isn't going to change".

When I had to pay for parking at The Iowa City Marriott, Iowa, City, IA., I knew it was "All over" for any type of break for Marriott customers.  Just my opinion!

I think you're right on the mark, jerrycoin.  Just have to factor parking charges into overall cost estimate for trip.

erc Platinum

Parking, breakfasts, different daily rates from the From Price highlighted, advance pay, AAA rates not always the lowest (so why offer them?), Marriott Rewards Offers higher than Standard Rates (apples to apples, so why list them?) etc etc - that's why I love me some Marriott web site pricing grid antics, flip flopping back and forth - it keeps me busy all day and off the streets and out of trouble .

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

don't know if in all cases parking is not under their control. the Marriott at SFO had an open parking are and just put up a little gate and charged 20 to get in and out( was put on your bill) so I would think they have control and could give a discount if they wanted to which of course they don't. So I also don't think we will get a discount but I think they could in many cases if they wanted to

erc Platinum

I totally agree jerryl. I have on several occasions seen TravelZoo offer Marriott deals where they have removed or reduced the Resort Fee, and in a non-third party parking lot deal, I'm confident the right circumstances could lead to a similar outcome with parking. Both are add ons with little direct costs attached, so I agree, they could if they wanted (needed) to.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I think all of these charges all seem to fall under the link anadyr posted regarding being careful what you pay for. There are so many extra charges on everything these days. Companies (not just Marriott by any means) charge extra fees as they are allowed to get away with so that they can post a "good price" or "competitive price" on something. It is not controlled to the extent it should be, allowing companies to charge hidden fees. They are now having to show the charges a little better than they used to but they are not told they cannot do it. It's like the "False advertising" law that used to be but is no longer...companies can say whatever they want whether it is actually true or not. Don't you love the vehicle commercials from EVERY brand of vehicle being awarded the "Best Performance in Class" award or similar??? Or "Truck of the Month"? It's no wonder people don't believe anyone or anything anymore. Wow, that was alot of any's in a row wasn't it????

Anyway, my point is as long as companies are allowed this luxury, they will continue to do it to stay competitive and make as much money as they think they have to have to survive. It is the way of the world that we live in today unfortunately. No one wants to be honest nor do they have integrity as we used to see.

mi97tbird Platinum 33 Reviews

I Agree, at least a discount by member level. When a room may cost 100 and parking is in the 30 dollar range, a discount would be nice.

Location Brand Hotel
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor

I am paying $40 per night to park my rental car in a San Diego CA Courtyard parking lot. Ouch.

jack613 Silver

the parking charges are pretty hefty at some properties and it makes a reasonable nightly rate become an expensive rate.there should definitely be a member discount