65 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2013 12:39 AM by kharada46 RSS

A Day of Infamy

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Pearl Harbor attack recalled 72 years after 'day of infamy' - U.S. News

The above link has an informative slide show with photos, I hadn't seen before, of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

I have the good fortune of heading to Oahu next week and Pearl Harbor will of course be a stop so my daughters can experience the inspirational feel of the memorial. Several of their friends were not quite sure what Pearl Harbor was all about.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: A Day of Infamy
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I was stationed at Schofield Barracks in the late 50's, early 60's, and visited Pearl Harbor frequently.  It was always a sobering if not eerie experience, but inspirational at the same time.  Certainly, something that cannot ever be forgotten.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

You and other veterans like you, would be a terrific resource for younger adults to hear and learn from. It makes me wonder about 9/11 and the future duration of memories. I'm confident the wall of entombed Sailors and Marines on the USS Arizona will have the same emotional impact on my daughters as it did on my wife and I (and then hopefully with some residual word of mouth education to their contemporaries). Thank you for your service.

Thank you.  On one hand you don't want to scare your kids/grandkids in my case now, on the other you want to give them a sense of history.  "Bad things" really happen.  We need to pay attention to history in hopes "bad things" are not repeated.  You've been to Pearl.  It's such a beautiful place that it's hard to believe what happened there.  Have a safe, enjoyable trip.  Take pictures!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

erc,

Wonderful report and post!

Have a great trip, and let us know how it is going.

erc Platinum

Will do, although heavy on the 'beach' aspect of a family vacation due to my ocean loving (snorkeling, surfing, paddleboarding, kayaking, swimming, and of course tanning) daughters, I'll work hard to slip in some of kharada's (who we're dining with one night) and other Insiders' recommendations and report back.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

erc

Many different things to do at Pearl.  USS Arizona, USS Missouri (just for you jerry!), USS Bowfin, the aviation museum, etc.  What most public doesn't get to see are the holes left in the buildings in nearby Hickam Airforce base.  Also on that base is a great airplane spotting location that IAHFLYR would undoubtedly enjoy!  Not as good as Maho Beach, but still good

Anyhow, are you planning on going to Hanauma Bay?  Supposed to be good snorkeling there.  One time I went, I made the mistake of going when the tide was coming in so the water got cloudy.  Molokini right off the coast of Maui is even better, but you must get there by excursion boat. 

Even outside of Pearl, along the shoreline is a bike/jogging path that was built on the right-of-way of the old Oahu Railway.  Out in Ewa, excursion trains are run from the Ewa train yard of the Hawaiian Railway Society to Nanakuli, every sunday using ex-USN switcher locomotives.  The goal of the society (for now) is to restore the track up to the Lualualei munitions depot.  Also out near Ewa in the town of Waipahu is a museum that shows how all of the different ethnic groups used to live back in the sugar plantation days. 

What day were you planning on renting a vehicle? 

KH,

Thanks for the comment!

That sounds like a great time with Erc and you!  Have a wonderful chat, and make sure we all get some pictures.  Right now, Honolulu sounds pretty good, as we brace for more ice/snow in The Mid-West!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hawaii sounds pretty good anytime of the year!

We know erc, kharada46 and families will have a great time, like you we all want to see their smiling faces while enjoying the fantastic pictures of the food someone keeps posting. 

jerrycoin & IAHFLYR,

You both need to come down sometime to hang out w/the Mrs & I!  I'd love to have a MRI meet up as well.  Waikiki Beach Marriott or the JW Ihilani would be a great option for their amazing dining venues!   

I am actually not much of a spotter at all, but particularly when near such a solemn and historic area as Pearl Harbor. 

The times we've visited Pearl Harbor the lump in my throat and tears streaming from my eyes for the lives that morning keeps me from doing anything but paying my respects as I slowly walk around the Monument.

Ah, alright.  That's ok, HNL's traffic is somewhat boring anyway.  You'll primarily see HA 763s, 712s, and A332s.  If you're lucky, you could see the F-22s drilling.  A DC-8 used to frequent HNL too, but it was retired and was donated to the museum out at Barbars Point NAS. 

Pearl Harbor is a very moving place indeed, which is ironic because the USS Bowfin has a party venue that overlooks the harbor.  The beach I speak of, though, is located at Hickam Air Force Base and is located next to the west end of HNL's reef runway.  On a side note, Hickam AFB does have a section named after the first Asian American astronaut, that's also the first astronaut from Hawaii: Elison Onizuka. 

Anyway, Oahu is covered in WWII history.  Beyond Pearl Harbor and all of its historic sights and Hickam AFB, there's also Battery Randolph in Waikiki next to the Halekoa Hotel.  It's now home to the US Army Museum, but has been around  1898.  It was decommissioned after WWII.  Hawaii Army Museum Society | Aloha and Welcome!

The popular Koko Head Trail near Hanauma Bay is a 1.5 mile trail straight up a mountain.  The trail is made-up of railroad ties that once was part of a tramway that supplied the WWII era Koko Crater Air Force Station. 

Koko Head Crater Trail Hike - Honolulu - Reviews of Koko Head Crater Trail Hike - TripAdvisor

Of course there's the Naval Air Museum Barbers Point at the defunct Barbars Point NAS.  Naval Air Museum Barbers Point, though I believe the Pacific Aviation Museum on Pearl Harbor's Ford Island is better.  Pearl Harbor, Pearl Harbor Memorial, Pearl Harbor Museum

Out on the Windward side of the island is a hike that terminates at two WWII era pillboxes.  The view is amazing, and although short, the hike is considered sort of an intermediate hike.  Lanikai Pillboxes - Kailua - Reviews of Lanikai Pillboxes - TripAdvisor

Of course there's also the Hawaiian Railway Society on the west side of the island.  Formed from what's left of the 1889 era Oahu Railway, the railroad saw heavy use in WWII by the military to transport troops, munitions, and other supplies.  The US Army even built their own branch lines.  After the War traffic dried up thanks in part to all the road improvements made during the war and the railroad ceased operations a few years later.  The USN took over the mainline from Pearl Harbor's West Loch to the Lualualei Munitions Depot located out past Waianae.  In face, the tracks you cross over going into Ko Olina is a restored, in-use section.  The Hawaiian Railway Society - Oahu, Hawaii

Excellent tips kharada46 and ones that will go into the HNL pages in the travel to do book.  Okay, now I'm convinced you are not only a food critic but also a historian which is much more impressive as well as a top notch travel guide.  Thanks as always.

Thanks IAHFLYR!  I try.  History is an interest of mine.  I'm particularly interested in Hawaiian history from the 1800's onward, WWII, and Cold War.  But I appreciate all history.  History is important, I think, and is knowledge that much of my peers lack. 

Even my foodieness requires historical knowledge.  Take one of Hawaii's most beloved dishes for example, saimin.  What is saimin?  It's a bowl of soup & noodles, but it's so much more than that!  Saimin is traditionally comprised of Japanese soup with Chinese noodles and a myriad of tops that are usually Chinese & Japanese in origin, but may also include Portuguese & Korean toppings. 

Hawaii's love of SPAM is a result of WWII rations.  We were given Spam, figured out it tastes amazing with Japanese white rice, and there you go.  Hawaii's favorite snack, the Spam musubi (a block of rice with a slab of Spam on top wrapped in a band of nori [seaweed]) is a mashup of Japanese & American food.  I'd never eat Spam the way Hormel recommends, but with rice?  It's awesome!   

But getting back to history, as tragic as the bombing on Pearl Harbor was, equally tragic was the internment camps Japanese Americans were forced to live in.  It's a side of the War that isn't well documented, nor are there preserved sites to honor/remember what happened.  And despite this kind of treatment, these people rose to the occasion to defend their nation and become some of our Nation's greatest heroes like the late Senator Daniel K Inouye. 

Thankfully, we as a nation learned from that and didn't repeat our actions after the events of 09/11/01. 

On a lighter note, the beautiful Kaka'ako Waterfront Park in Honolulu, next to the University of Hawaii John A Burns School of Medicine used to be a garbage dump.  That's what those lovely hills are... and the nautical looking vents are to vent the gases!  The adjacent Children's Discovery Center used to be the incinerator... haha! 

KH,

Nice information, but I can't take "Spam"

Please go to my recent post on "Roman Holiday" and contribute your experiences!  After all, your experience got me into room 620, which helped make my trip so special!

Thanks Jerry!  I'll check it out! 

Funny you should mention Spam musubi as last year at this time I took my Son to Seattle as he had never been there, and while we walked through Pike Place Market as they were getting ready to close he stumbled upon a little food joint and asked "what is that rice thing".   He will try just about anything different and talked me into getting one as well........IT WAS GREAT.  But like you, Spam any other way, not happening.

They actually had Spam musubi there? 

Spam is also great in local style fried rice!  But just remember, it has to be white rice!  Spam + scrambled eggs + rice is also a GREAT combination! 

Next time you come to HNL, I gotta get you to this little musubi joint near my office that makes tons of varieties including Spam, but also some traditional Japanese and creative, modern inventions.

Who doesn't like Spam?  Especially with eggs.  Don't know about white rice though.  Will have to try it.

Please stop discussing "Spam"!

Some of out here are getting ready for meals, and you are forcing us to diet!

jerrycoin,

Next time you come to Hawaii, I'll make sure to hand deliver a Spam musubi to you myself!!  That's part of the "experience"

Alright jerrycoin,

This one is just for you!  Because of our conversations I got a craving and ended up making this for breakfast this past weekend

spam.jpeg

Doesn't that look delicious?! 

Yes, it does look delicious!

Oh no, you got a craving........isn't that supposed to, oh never mind!   I like the texture of the eggs myself, but did you get erc turned on to the Spam concepts?

erc Platinum

I had plenty of Spam growing up - to me, musubi is the culinary equivalent of 'putting lipstick on a pig'. I'm with jerrycoin on this one, I'll pass. Now, as painedplatinum, good Philly boy that is he, can tell you, the real deal is Scrapple. Now, we're talkin' turkey tom, (well, actually we're not ).

erc,

Scrapple looks interesting... Spam actually looks more appealing to me!  I'd still try it though.  I for one, though, love Spam musubi and had one today in-fact.  It was an artisanal one by Mana Bu's, but still

IAHFLYR, thanks!  I like to cook my scrambled eggs to a "medium rate" doneness 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Nooooo !

This looks delicious.

hfr.gif

Same basic ingredients, prepped entirely different.

Where are my chopsticks?

Sure is pluto77!  I've never been good at making fried rice though... gotta practice more! 

I have some trouble with it as well.  It's difficult to have it not end up with a soggy finish.  Could it be the type of rice?  I just use long grain white rice.  I also make it in a wok.  Maybe that's the problem.  Perhaps it requires more flat surface against the heat.  Or break it up into smaller batches?    I don't know.

Hmm... that's a good question!  Traditionally in Hawaii, we use short grain (Japanese type) rice.  Our type of fried rice has more in common with Japan's Chahan than Chinese style fried rice.  A wok is the way to go, though I lack one myself.  I think high heat is important, but not so much though that it turns into a cracker haha.  This is probably my pitfall since my Thermolon pan isn't supposed to exceed medium heat... and everything just gets stuck to my cast iron pan.  I think I over sauce it too a lot because it's often too strong

I'll try the short grain and higher temps.  Will let you know how it "woks" out.  Thanks!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

you need to use leftover rice.

and its easiest if you use a high gluten rice

Do you mean refrigerate it first?  What would be an example of a high gluten rice?

I've never refrigerated the rice...just left it out on the counter and it gets sort of dry.

As for glutinous rice, just ask at any Asian shop and they will point out the brands they carry that are high gluten.

Below is the Wiki link on high gluten rices.  The ones they mention I have tried, but they are not easy to find in the US.

Glutinous rice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great advice Gem!  I forgot about that... In fact, in intermediate/middle school home econ. classes, we learned how to make fried rice

The instructor had us used refrigerated day-old Japanese short grain rice though.  Glutinous rice is on the sweeter side and is normally reserved for sweet preparations, though there are some savory preparations for it too. 

Since we're on that, the Filipinos make this great & simple baked dessert or glutinous rice, coconut milk and brown sugar!  My old neighbor turned it on to me long ago

The Burmese make both sweet and savory dishes with glutinous rice.

A typical breakfast might be glutinous black rice which you put toppings on to taste like fried onions, garlic, toasted coconut, etc.

Like wise for desserts you add coconut milk (fresh) and palm sugar (or substitute raw or brown sugar)

Interesting how the dessert one sounds so similar to the Filipino one! 

Thus far my favorite savory preparation is the Japanese sekihan.  Glutinous rice cooked with azuki beans and topped with sesame seeds and salt

Actually, I have tried Thai, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Malay and Indonesian desserts, and they all tend to have one with rice (and/or semolina) with coconut milk and palm sugar.  I think the only differences are the proportions, and sometimes some extra seasonings

As for the Japanese Sekihan, it sounds simliar to other savory preparations, usually meant to be a meal, so adding a protein to the rice, as well as seasonings and salt.

Dace is one of the most common I am aware of as it comes in a can, so easy to store, and is preserved in salt.  Some also have been preserved with beans as well.  Its easy to heat up in the pan and put on top of rice (often left over the previous night).  Add a little hot sauce if you like, or in southeast asia, a topping made of fried onion, garlic, ground/dried shrimp usually pre-fried prior to adding.  Its actually quite good.  I like it better than Kippers and eggs

Voilà!  All the websites indeed say to use refrigerated day old rice.  It firms up the grains and gets rid of excess moisture so that it separates when fried, thus avoiding the problem of "fried mush."  I will start with that and see how it goes.  If it's still not quite right, I'll pursue the glutinous (meaning sticky, not full of gluten) stuff.

Thanks, Gem!!

The spam actually looks like scrapple!

bpelican,

Never had Spam & rice while in Hawaii?  Must try it!  Even better than Spam & eggs!  White rice is amazing with anything salty...

It would have definitely been an improvement to the Army chow.  I am definitely going to try it with rice.  You've peaked my interest.  Thanks.

Let me know how you like it! 

Haven't been to a McDonalds in a while, but if their menu doesn't change, I believe a breakfast option here is Spam, eggs, and rice!  Man, I haven't had that kind of stuff in a while... think I'm going to make my own this weekend for breakfast! 

Anthony Bourdain No Reservations in Hawaii - YouTube

At the 21:48 mark, Bourdain delves into a Hawaii Spam experience

Great clip.  I'm becoming a Spam fan.  Now all I have to do is sneak a couple of cans into my shopping cart when better half isn't looking.

Haha!  Even better!  Make the following recipe (omit the bacon & the water chestnuts) and use Spam instead of luncheon meat:

Hawaiian Electric: Fried Rice

Spam is indeed the secret ingredient in authentic Hawaiian Fried Rice.  It's great!  (But not something to eat often. )

Right you are Pluto!  But Portuguese Sausage (Linguica) is a great substitute/addition!  I also like to throw in some edamame sometimes  

I love his shows.  We went into Seatown in Seattle after he had been there, everyone said how much fun it was to be there and watch the taping of the show.  But he wasn't trying Spam that day!

IAHFLYR,

I'm dying to go to SEA now to try all the places he visited!  Hopefully in 2015 we'll make our way there...

Usually eat white rice with Dace which is also salty.  Nice to add either some hot sauce, or fried onions, garlic and dried shrimp.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"On a side note, Hickam AFB does have a section named after the first Asian American astronaut, that's also the first astronaut from Hawaii: Elison Onizuka."

Therre was a base named after that same astronaut, Onizuka Air Force Station, previously called Sunnyvale Air Force Station.  It is closed now.

Didn't know that, thanks for sharing!  And if you ever fly into Kona, be sure to check out the Ellison Onizuka Space Center (museum) right next to the airport

erc-- just came across this post that you made on Dec 7 in remembrance of the attack on the US at Pearl Harbor.  Thank you.  This day has always carried a special meaning in our house growing up.  My father was a private stationed at Wheeler Air Field just a few miles north of the Navy base when it was attacked.  On veterans day, 2011, 11-11-11, I was at Pearl Harbor with a group of other retired vets on an Admiral's tour, guests of CINCPAC, and had the sailors raise and fold a flag for me over the memorial.  I had ti framed and gave it to my Dad for Christmas that year.  That's when he opened up in detail about his experiences that day and the next 4 years in the Pacific.  I'ts great that you the time to remembe4 them and visit that special burial place.  Thank you.

erc Platinum

We had a powerful visit to Pearl Harbor and the various museums and memorials. Whereas the U.S.S. Arizona is certainly the most well known, as kharada references above, there is a lot of other interesting stories at the site. The U.S.S Missouri, Mighty Mo the last battleship commissioned by America, where the end of the Pacific war surrender documents were signed, with its bow facing the Arizona assuring those interred may rest in peace and the U.S.S Bowfin with the Waterfront Memorial in honor of the 52 submarines and the more than 3600 officers and crew lost in the war.

20131212_143255.jpg

I'll post other photos of Pearl Harbor upon my return home

erc, each of those that you mentioned played a very special and critical role in our victory in WW II.  Also, not sure if you'

re still there, but a visit to the National Cemetary is equeally as moving.

erc Platinum

My great uncle served as a submariner during the war, but seldom spoke of it until just near his death in his late eighties a few years back. I was proud of my daughters, who out of love and respect for him, read the plaques and spent contemplative time at the memorial without once glancing at their phones. You walk through those subs and you see the memorial and you realize how many men knew their fates prior to it occurring and it's quite pulse stopping.  Here's a few photos of the Honolulu Memorial (Punchbowl) another peaceful, moving, revered location;

IMAG22401.jpgIMAG22201.jpg

IMAG22201.jpg

IMAG22271.jpg

IMAG22421.jpg

Very nice.  Our children need these trips to really understand and appreciate the sacrifices made for their freedom.

So true Husker.  I'm so very happy my Son is a history buff and takes in Memorials where they travel. 

Great photos and story erc

What a great story nuhusker, very special.

very special to all who served, all who knew someome who served, and all of us who have benefited from those who serived.

Exactly

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...