17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2013 2:57 PM by ryankolb2001 RSS

Lifetime Platinum

justaregulargy Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

About 40,000 points ago, I achieved Lifetime Platinum status and I thought at least I would receive a thank you mention from Marriott. Well to date, nothing, ZIP, Nada. For someone who has stayed almost 2,000 nights and accumulated over 2 million points, I thought Marriot would throw some confetti my way. This is really disappointing that they do not recognize those who help them make a profit and keep their doors open.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rome, Italy Marriott Hotels & Resorts Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
  • Re: Lifetime Platinum
    erc Platinum

Yes, it's disappointing how often (especially in this age of Big Data) they drop the ball on 'slam dunk', no brainer customer service recognition issues. Congratulations on a significant accomplishment requiring dedicated discipline. Welcome to Insiders, drop in now and then and share some of your travel insights.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hit the nail on the head, smack!  Simple easy customer service for sure, I wonder if there are any Insiders who have gotten any word of "Thanks" when reaching Lifetime. 

I know I didn't get a peep from them, heck they didn't even tell me I achieved LP had I not found a MI thread that grabbed my ever present wandering attention span!  I made the call to the Platinum Rewards line and in about 30 seconds she told me I qualified. 

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Very interesting……  I have never thought of it until now, but I too have not seen any acknowledgement of my Lifetime status.  I wonder why that is????

dejamo Platinum

Because you are not a millennial,  and serve no further purpose..........

Sad but true...............

blazer Platinum

I myself learned about Emeritus Platinum level for life a few years back and was not notified. I did call the special Platinum line and inquired why I didn't receive a notification of this. The response was that the following year that I don't hit a status level, I would be notified. Well, years have gone by and I am still at the Platinum Premier level by achieving  150+ stays so I guess I have to wait until I stop staying at Marriotts to see if this is true. I do find this to be rather annoying that I have stayed 1500 nights without a letter from the corporate office congratulating me for this achievement and some nice gesture. I guess they really don't care about us lifers.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Speak with the Platinum Desk and get what you deserve!

sewettav Platinum 1 Reviews

Sharing my experience re: lifetime platinum acknowledgement.  I became aware of this status thru this bulletin board.  I inquired to Customer Service and was given the requirements for lifetime plat. and my number of pts., etc.  Still no mention that I had attained this significant achievement.  I had to inquire to cust. serv. again referring to the info. they had sent and was informed at that time that I had achieved the lifetime plat. status and that the new card would be sent in the mail shortly.  I  received the card with a congrats and have enjoyed using the card.  I have earned plat. status again this year, but it's nice to know if my travel is reduced, I'm still entitled to the plat. benefits, such as they are.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Congrats on LT Platinum.  Your persistency paid off. 

dctraveller Platinum 17 Reviews

Congratulations on this.  I don't travel as much but one day I hope to be able to reach this status as well.   My theory is that they don't do much for this because of how their system works.  It seems to me reading the different threads that Marriott Rewards does not have a clear system to check status beyond the typical yearly - silver/gold/platinum/platinumelite.  Most likely the system does not keep track of what things have been mailed or provided to you.  Also I guess they know they have you hooked - Given the amount of commitment that you've shown Marriott, it's unlikely that you will switch - so maybe in their mind, no real need for any additional acknowledgement.

I think you're right-on although they are doing somewhat better in defining Lifetime levels.  I am retired, LT Platinum and Platinum Premier and am "hooked" on Marriott.  However, what I have done over the years is consciously develop relationships with the local property Associates and the local/division franchise GM.  This involves a little time and "grease" on my part, but it has paid off handsomely.  I get special treatment at these properties as they view me as "part of the family."  They seem to care less about my "status," although I'm sure they are aware of it.  I always get upgraded w/o asking, points and gift on check-in, etc.  My point is that in the final analysis it's the local folks that make your stay enjoyable.  When I stay at an unknown property I won't hesitate to flash my status cards and even call Corporate Marriott if I have problems with the locals. I find Corporate to be very cooperative with me on these occasions.  So I love Marriott and am very local.  They have been good to me and I have been good to them.  Good luck and thanks for posting here.  You'll find this group of Insiders to be very knowledgeable and helpful in your travels.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

bpelican

over the years, many nsiders have offered 'tips' as to how to snag an upgrade.  You just nailed it.  Just as in life, treat others as you wish to be treated, and good things come your way.  I seldom ask for an upgrade, and rarely get on when I do.  However, I have one week left in my 2013 travel schedule and the number of upgrades I've received this year surpasses the combined total of the previous 3 year.  Of course, I am such a nice guy (like JerryCoin), that folks bend over backwards to find me an upgrade.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Not to mention your good looks Shoeman!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

shoeman, 

I am really a mean guy!

It's the "Angel" I travel with that gets the upgrades!

I really don't think I have asked for an "Upgrade", just a different room  I must say KH saved the day for me at the Grand Flora by telling me about Room 620!  That made the trip for me!IMG_3474.jpg

I don't have a picture of the very nice "Sitting room", that comes with this room, but it was a spacious room.  Very quiet and comfortable.  Really nice for a full "Platinum" breakfast each morning, comped and without having to leave the room!IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3615.JPG

A very nice bathroom as well!

IMG_3616.jpg

These photo's really don't do justice for how clean and nice this room, and hotel was!

Location Brand Hotel
          Rome, Italy Marriott Hotels & Resorts Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora

Lliked the pics and the Rm 620 upgrades.  Was that Spam & eggs I saw on the table?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Your nice guy status will be the winner always along with our pal jerrycoin .  I on the other hand am up high on the rabble rouser list with erc.

nimblethunder Platinum 1 Reviews

First off, its an interesting thread with good points made by many.  However, I thought LT Platinum required 3 things: 8 years in the program AND 1000 nights AND 3 million total points received.  I also know the reason I didn't get the life-time platinum recognition was because I was (and still am) a platinum premier and the LT Platinum was considered a step down.  I was told I would get the card once I was no longer a Platinum Premier.

About 2 years ago I started a thread suggesting there should be a lifetime Platinum Premier - otherwise, my lifetime Platinum status would be trumped by all these platinum premier members.  I believe they ended up creating that lifetime status as well, with higher requirements (although not high enough, if I recall).

With 2000 nights, I would imagine you have accumulated more thatn 2M points. Maybe there are other limits not attained?

ryankolb2001 Platinum 3 Reviews

The requirements were changed this year.  The number of nights was lowered, number of points was changed to spend, and the years requirement was dropped.

The spend is probably what is getting quite a few people.  Luckily for myself, I spent several months worth of time in NYC with rates anywhere from $275-450 per night, so that helped with my spend requirement (as my work travel now has a much lower hotel per diem).