6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2013 11:27 PM by anadyr RSS

Dreams, and their costs

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

For a time I toyed with the idea of owning a vineyard. 

Well, that was because a good friend, over a bottle  of his excellent estate-bottled 95 rated Rhone, told me how enjoyable it was.

He neglected to tell me the costs (he's uber wealthy), the hassle, the mechanics and the legal issues that are entailed. It takes 400 days a year to manage one and there are only 365 most years in which to do it.

Once I figured that Marriott Rewards points could not be cashed in for the purchase I was bereft, and yes, uncorked. I now content myself with visiting his tasting room, buying a bottle or two, and resting comfortably in the shadow of his wonderful vintages.

In case you need one more example of what's involved, here's a case to ponder (get it?)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
California
  • Re: Dreams, and their costs
    lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Took a few wine courses from Robert Lawrence Balzer.  I guess I kept failing because I had to repeat the class many times.  Balzer said on a number of times "Owning a winery is a good way to make a fortune...disappear!"   But, it still seams like a very cool thing to do.  Fortunately for me, I am over doing cool things!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

You know my friend bought 95 acres, planted the vines, hired slews of workers, and actually has broken even!

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Excellent!  Glad to hear some dreams "work out."

It took nearly 20 years but he did it!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Such a good post! So true!

We are sometimes "lucky" because things don't work out.  For most of us, "Life is not a Disney Movie"

As some of us have learned, "Be Careful what you dream for, it may come true"!

Amen brother.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...