3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2013 1:11 AM by anadyr RSS

Top Ten Hotel Trends for Next Year

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/global/154000320/4063217.html  (an easy, casual read, good with coffee or juice or whatever )

An interesting article about the upcoming lodging trends for next year. We Insiders have already observed how closely aligned Marriott is with many of these trends; one, the growth of international leisure travelers, CEO Sorenson is the go to source. We've certainly seen/lived Marriott's emphasis on millennials, mobile, review management, social media interaction, international focus, and web site enhancement. I am eager to observe the momentum next year of the effect of the trends of foodies, WOW customer service, and genuine guest interaction.

I am also fascinated by the burgeoning, perhaps all encompassing utilization of Big Data; be it Adara  http://www.adaramedia.com/  the demographic marketing research firm for hoteliers, or the TrustYou or Flip.to sites below that specifically help companies manage reputations and  recommendations (Insiders?) . It gives me a better understanding of why every time I go on a site or write an e-mail, I have a Marriott ad in the right column.

I would greatly enjoy Insiders sharing their thoughts, this may actually help us craft future travel strategies - thank you

Below is a Summary - the article above is, of course, much better

Top 10 Hospitality Industry Trends in 2014

By Robert Rauch, CHA

Millennials - looking for unique experience, willing to pay, foodies a big subset

Speed and precision  - booking, check-in, Wi-Fi, response to customer service

WOW customer service - exceeding expectations helps ensure repeat business

Leadership - execs instilling in associates the value of genuine interaction w/guests

Expectation of more int'l visitors - Sorenson:100 million Chinese travel/10 ml. to US

Social media and mobile will be inseparable - Mobile everything, 1st time exceeds desktop

Content marketing will replace traditional advertising - less ads, more 'publishing'

Renewed focus on property websites - highest ROI thru own site; content, updates, incentives

Review site tactics - actively interact w/Yelp, TripAdvisor, Google Places etc

Reputation Management - manage thru tech http://www.trustyou.com/   http://www.flip.to/

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Top Ten Hotel Trends for Next Year
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I'm not evena millenial and I agree with most all of these and would like to see Marriott proceed with these points foremmost in their thinking...especially the enhanced customer service point. Everyone feels better when they feel they are special.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Wow, I guess I will need to retire my Selectric and dial phones

erc Platinum

Mobile grabbed my attention also. Out of three restaurants this week, two of them offered to text us deals, so one of my trends next year is to finally come out of the dark ages and get on the 'app' bandwagon (or at the very least, hang with those that do). I have a partner who has an app that as you walk by the store, informs him of discounts.

The other point that caught my attention was the focus on social media and its importance, which we all knew about, but sometimes feel it doesn't necessarily apply to Insider content. Fearful, that Insiders will only become a Marriott version of TripAdvisor without millennial participation (and we're all working hard together to revive the energy), I agree with madmax above; we Insiders desire similar service as millennials; unique experiences, great food, willingness to pay (in spite of all my barking about deals, but that matches 'incentives on web site' trend), an earlier report about millennials stated they wanted free coffee also, and certainly Insiders, as chronicled in this forum hundreds of times, appreciate WOW customer service where service exceeds expectations.

Since most millennials did not have the rewards benefits that long time loyal Marriott travelers earned and were used to, it appears to me that Marriott is going to finance the millennials' desires with the reduction of former benefits. I stated earlier this week in a post I was going to study millennials and start liking what they like; the truth is often said in jest, I'm jumping on the millennial express before it runs me over.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...