20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2013 4:39 PM by kharada46 RSS

London Eating Guide

andrew_p2 Member
Currently Being Moderated

I notice lots of discussion on London restaurants, so as a Londoner, here are my suggestions.  I have tried to include a range of areas, budgets and cuisines.

Lunches: Lunch menus are often good value at a fraction of the evening cost.  Arbutus in Soho is great value and has one Michelin Star.  Nobu on Park Lane (near Grosvenor House) is also a good pick.  For fine dining, Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester is a relative bargain at around £55 for 3 courses including wine, water and coffee.  This too is near Grosvenor House and Grosvenor Square.

Best food markets: I would recommend checking out Borough Market (near London Bridge).  If you are staying at County Hall, it is a lovely walk along the river to the market (if it is not raining).  On the way, you will also pass another market by Royal Festival Hall which holds festivals from time to time like the bread festival and chocolate festival.  For a more cutting edge experience, slightly off the beaten track, head to either Broadway Market in Hackney or Brixton Village.  Brixton Village is not strictly a market but a series of well priced restaurants in a former covered markets, they have good pizza (Franco Manca), Colombian, Mexican etc.)

What about British food: For the ultimate experience, don't miss Dinner by Heston Blumenthal but remember to book ahead.  Beat fish and chips any day.  Also, for a real British experience, heading to a curry house is a good idea (sounds strange but trust me).  There are many good ones on Brick Lane (near the City) and Tayyabs is great value nearby (prepare to queue).  For an authentic experience off the beaten track, head to Tooting (don't wander around the back streets too late though)

Steak: There are several branches of Hawksmoor and this offers the best steak in London in my view.  Even better than the steak house at teh J.W. in Grosvenor House.

Breakfast:  For a decadent breakfast, head to the Delaunay (Covent Graden) or Wolsey (Picadilly).  Good value and one to remember.  Alternatively, a greasy spoon is a very British experience but you won't find may authentic ones in town- instead head to areas like Bethnal Green.

Beer: For great beer, look for branches of the Craft and teh Cask (same company, different names).  The one in Pimlico is great (near Victoria station).  Alternatively, head to Kernel Brewery in Bermondsey on a Saturday afternoon (it closes around 4pm).  This last one is a top tip, if you like beer, I recommend checking it out.

Casual but upscale: Sometimes it is nice to go somewhere with great food and atmosphere but without the starched table cloths.  I would recommend Opera Tavern in Covent Garden or Bar Boulud (at Mandarin Oriental) in Knightsbridge.

Hope that helps and would be interested to hear your experiences.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
  • Re: London Eating Guide
    shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

We will be there in June and will take this list with us.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

Thanks, have a place in the Imperial Wharf development and next time we are in country we will make use of your suggestions.

andrew_p2 Member

Thanks Merb, something to consider :-) Just left a reply to ideas on trips out of London so hopefully visitors to London will find that one helpful too.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

andrew,

Wonderful information!

It would really help to have various MRI contribute to come up with a "London Dining Guide", with three levels.  There could be inexpensive, moderate, and fine dining.

Just a thought, and will start putting my list together.

andrew_p2 Member

Great idea!  We will soon have the ultimate dining guide!

andrew_p2 Member

Not sure if this will display properly but here's my first pass at an Excel spreadsheet by area, cost, cuisine etc.  In an ideal world, can be copied and pasted into Excel and can filter by cuisine, cost and area.  Or as a shortcut, I've put the tube zones with a view that anything is zone 1 will be close to most of the Marriotts in the West End.  Let's see what you think...

Restaurant/PlacePrice band (L, M, FD) AreaTube zoneTypeNotes
      Alain Ducasse at the DorchesterFDMayfair1French3 Michelin Star, traditional French food and service
      Gordon Ramsay, Royal Hospital RoadFDChelsea1French3 Michelin Star
      Dinner by Heston BlumenthalFDKnightsbridge1BritishHistoric British dishes- inventive
      RokaMSoho1JapaneseRobata grill
      Sushi SambaFDCity1Peruvian-Japanese FusionAmazing views
      DelaunayMCovent Garden1BrasserieDecadent breakfast
      The WolseyMPicadilly1BrasserieDecadent breakfast
      TayabbsLWhitechapel2PakistaniExpect to queue
      YautchaFDSoho1ChineseGreta dum sum
      Bar BouludMKnightsbridge1BrasserieGreat burgers
      Opera TavernMCovent Garden1TapasTasting dishes
      Pitt CueMBBQ1Carnaby StreetTry the specials
      Eastern CuisineLGypsy Hill3IndianBets Indian in town
      Spice VillageLTooting3PakistaniAuthentic

andrew_p2 Member
    RestaurantPrice band (L, M, FD) AreaTube zoneTypeNotes
    Alain Ducasse at the DorchesterFDMayfair1French3 Michelin Star, traditional French food and service
    Gordon Ramsay, Royal Hospital RoadFDChelsea1French3 Michelin Star
    Dinner by Heston BlumenthalFDKnightsbridge1BritishHistoric British dishes- inventive
    Sushi SambaFDCity1Peruvian-Japanese FusionAmazing views
    ArbutusMSoho1FrenchGood value lunch
    Hawksmoor Seven DialsMCovent Garden1SteakBest steak in town
    DelaunayMCovent Garden1BrasserieDecadent breakfast
    The WolseyMPicadilly1BrasserieDecadent breakfast
    YautchaFDSoho1ChineseGreta dum sum
    Bar BouludMKnightsbridge1BrasserieGreat burgers
    Opera TavernMCovent Garden1TapasTasting dishes
    Pitt CueMBBQ1Carnaby StreetTry the specials
    Eastern CuisineLGypsy Hill3IndianBets Indian in town
    Spice VillageLTooting3PakistaniAuthentic
    GowlettLPeckham Rye2PizzaGreat Pizza and pub
    Mangal OckabasiLDalston2TurkishCharcoal grill
    TayabbsLWhitechapel2PakistaniExpect to queue

andrew_p2,

Welcome to MRI!  This is a wonderful project you have initiated, and hope others will contribute!  Here is a couple of thoughts, based upon my experiences as well:

FD:

The Ritz, London:  One of the most beautiful dining rooms anywhere, and food consistent with anyplace.  Not overly expensive, but totally relaxing.  Piano music while dining is heavenly:  Special place.  Have never been to the bar there, but understand it is a place to see celeb's!

IMG_3219.jpg

The Ritz's bathrooms are even very special!  Memorable posters on the wall!

As you mentioned "Gordon Ramsey" Hospital Road.  Another very special place.  Staff from all over the world treat you well and the food doesn't get any better, anywhere.  Just make reservations well in advance, and enjoy a special occasion here.  Host Jean-Claude, is one of the best you can ever encounter:

IMG_1399.JPG

Jean-Claude with Mrs. Coin

You suggestion of Heston Blumenthal is a good one, and will go there next trip!

Bibendum is another consistent place that is enjoyable, it just does not have the atmosphere of the above places.

Big Deals NOT worth it:

Simpson's in The Strand

Gordon Ramsey's at The Hilton overlooking Buckingham Palace,

Joe Allen's

Inexpensive:

Stockpot:  Varied locations, but good for the price:

FH030014.jpg

A lot of pubs are very good, but close to the Grosvenor is The Audley, a favorite.  Near the US Embassy:

IMG_0285.JPG

Good food, at reasonable prices and a "Fun filled" atmosphere!

Lastly, for now, for good "Cafeteria" type food at a wonderful low price, go to "The basement" off of Trafalgar Square to the church, "

St. Martin's in the Field"!  A beautiful place, fine food, and a very good place to relax while visiting the center of London.

IMG_2229.JPG

Hope this helps!  One last place, if you can find a seat, is The Food Court at Harrods!  There are many choices, but for some raw oysters, give me just one snack a year at "The Harrod's Oyster Bar"!

IMG_3218.JPG

Andrew, thanks for helping me bring back such wonderful memories!.  Hope we have plenty more additions to dining in London!  Again, will look forward to hearing more from you.  Hope we can get many MRI together for a "Chat" next year at County Hall!

Location Brand Hotel
      London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
        andrew_p2 Member

Looks like there are a few more places for me to check-out.  Nice pics too.  Cheers Jerry and hopefully see you at County Hall.

andrew_p2 Member

Just re-posted the table with column widths adjusted for here and seems to display fine.  Hopefully there is a good range of different cuisines, budgets and areas here.  Here's a bit info on what the values mean:

Price: Low means under about £15 per person including a drink, moderate is around £25-30, and FD (Fine Dining) is anything over this amount.

The areas may or may not mean much to you depending on how familiar you are with London so I've added in the tube zones.  As a rule, most things in zone 1 are easily reachable from most London Marriotts by underground or taxi.  You will notice that many of the cheaper options are in Tube Zone 2 or 3 which can be reached by underground in less than roughly 30 minutes (at the outside).

I have been to each of these on the list so they have all been road-tested.  I haven't put ratings next to each as all are good in their own way (a great curry and a fine French food are both great but hard to compare).  I've tried to capture a little bit about what to expect in the notes column.

Andrew,

Wow!

That is a lot of fine work you are doing!

Maybe, it would be a good idea to indicate places around various properties?  Most people would really prefer to walk to a place of their "Budget" after a day of "Exhausting" sightseeing. (And Expensive, sightseeing as well!)

I will post a list of places around various properties, and hope you and others can add to it!

andrew_p2 Member

Nice idea about recommendation for places close to Marriott properties but I think this may be a bit beyond my capabilities as I haven't stayed in all the properties and don't know all the areas that well (e.g. Kings Cross, West India Quay).  But, I think I have a solution...

All the properties with Marble Arch, Grosvenor or Mayfair (as well as the new Edition) are very close to each other.  Based on the areas listed above in my table, it is very easy to access Mayfair or Knightsbridge walking. Regents Park is also not too far from these areas.  Kensington is close to Chelsea.  County Hall is on the South side of the river but within very easy reach of most of the places listed.  My geography is probably being a bit stretched there.

Good value places (great quality with reasonable prices) are a little like the Holy Grail in London.  In most of the areas where the hotels are located, I think it's tough to find- but of course, all the more worth sharing when you do.  There are many, many very mediocre places with relatively high prices.  This probably gives lots of people the impression that the food in London can often be expensive and not very good which makes it all the more important to know where to go.  Most of the places I've listed in zone 1 can be reached in less than 15-20 minutes from most of the London Marriott's which isn't bad going.  

andrew,

That is a very good point!

London gets a "Bad Rap" for mediocre food, but maybe a few of us can help other travelers avoid "Overpriced places" that are just not worth it!

I will get my list for Mayfair, and County Hall and get it posted soon!

Have never been to West India Quay, but maybe  The Professor, and others can comment on that area.  The Ren. there sounds wonderful!

Will be back soon!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I promised jerrycoin a contribution on here, so here's my sole London dining experience! 

Petrus by Gordon Ramsay in Knightsbridge.  This 1 Michelin Star restaurant specializes in French cuisine prepared with the finest British ingredients.  It was a wonderful experience!  The food was great, as was the stuff.  The restaurant was somewhat noisy, but not enough to bother me.  The location is good too, being a short walk away from Harrod's. 

Here's a few pictures of our experience

Honeymoon-446.jpg

Pasta with wild mushroom, parmesan foam and fresh shaved white truffle

Honeymoon-447.jpg

Ballotine of Landes foie gras with semi dried grapes, green beans and hazelnut crumble

Honeymoon-450.jpg

Roasted venison with braised red cabbage, smoked chestnut puree and juniper berry jus

Honeymoon-457.jpg

Us with head chef Sean Burbidge.  The staff offered a kitchen tour, so of course I said yes!  They do have a chef's table available for reservations.  Maybe next time! 

KH,

You did it again!

Wonderful post!

Have never been here, but you do a wonderful job of showing us great photos and sharing these beautiful food photos.  Thanks so much.

You really did have a "Once in a lifetime trip"

Just hope you can do it again soon!

Thanks Jerry!

I hope so too... the Mrs. really wants to go back to London (we only spent a night) and Berlin!  But she also wants to go to the Pacific Northwest, the Eastern Seaboard, and return to Japan & California! 

kh,

Sounds like a "Plan"!

When you go to London, let me know, and maybe we can give the trip enough "Lead Time" to have an MRI "Get together" there.  That would be a riot!

Hope to follow in erc's "Footsteps" and get to Honolulu someday soon!  That sure looked like a lot of fun!

Jerry,

I'm sure you'll have LOT's of lead time!  I don't see us going back for years! 

But when we do, I'll let you know and we can definitely put something together!  I do look froward to welcoming you to the "Aloha State" sometime soon as well!  Perhaps then I can return the favor and help you plan that trip, just as you helped me plan my European vacay! 

kh,

You have a deal!

Please keep those "Special Spots" made aware for us mainlander's!

Great!  Will do! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...