17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2013 11:07 AM by stelzer001 RSS

Millenials Make Hotels Rethink Loyalty Programs

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As written in this very forum, Boomers, we're toast (my holiday gift to painedplatinum)

Here is an excellent, current article*** highlighting the reality of the travel/hotel business demographics of direct bookers using online sites;

http://skift.com/2013/11/18/millennials-make-hotels-rethink-how-they-do-loyalty-programs/

Highlights

Loyalty program members are also members of competitors programs (and if you're a road warrior and you're not, better get to it, because this ain't your 1980's program atmosphere)

Hotel guests are ..... wait for it, skewing younger. The inevitability has arrived, travelers aged 24-36 now make up the largest group of hotel guests 33% booking online (I'm pretty confident, they're not yet the largest group of guests - but I'm sure it won't be long).

Boomers are fading (in more ways than one ), now falling to 29% of guests direct booking (and yes, no doubt as a revenue base they may well be the largest group, but we can appreciate why chains are going after 'the pig in they python').

Younger guests are less loyal. Duh, any of you have millennial children? And quite frankly, shouldn't they/we all be?

The word is no longer plastics, it's mobile

Enjoy the read, while I put another Fleetwood Mac cassette into my boom box.

In the more than you care to know department - but because I'm a full service provider (3 links, but only one elite night credit)

*** From the White Paper by Hudson Crossing (info provided by Adara)    http://adaraglobal.com/whitepaper/Detailed-Look-Into-The-US-Online-Hotel-Guest-2013-2014.pdf

Adara, the source   ADARA  (clients include Marriott and Hilton) I don't think any of the models would get my Mary Tyler Moore references

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Millenials Make Hotels Rethink Loyalty Programs
    erc Platinum

This post slid off the board this a.m. faster than a politician heads home for recess , so I'll make a mercy post, toss it up on the Big Board once more and then put it to bed, deep into the bowels of the Insider forum.

In an article off to the side, How to Attract the Millennial Guest  several things caught my attention:
    Millennials expect: Free internet, self service check in/out, multi use lobbies, hotels with personalities and free coffee.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I've always heard that's it is less expensive to keep an existing customer than to go out and find a new one. It's understandable that companies want to attract new customers, but if they can't hold on to them, what's the point? Marketing is all about bringing people in. It's then up to the rest of the company to keep them. Good experiences will encourage return visits. That's when the loyalty program should kick in.

Loyalty programs aren't about getting new customers. They're a way to keep customers. Weakening the benefits to existing members just encourages "shopping other brands" as the article suggests. Rewards programs cost money, but keeping us loyal means we aren't staying with the competition.

One last thought. Millenials may be 33% of the market (the largest segment), but Seniors, Boomers, and Gen X-ers (I happen to be at the oldest end of that group) still account for 57% combined. Forget about us at your own peril.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
      This post slid off the board this a.m. faster than a politician heads home for recess, so I'll make a mercy post, toss it up on the Big Board once more and then put it to bed, deep into the bowels of the Insider forum.

Quick programming note - you'll find a longer list of recent content (up to 20 links) within each forum so interesting conversations are less likely to slide.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

erc  "Enjoy the read, while I put another Fleetwood Mac cassette into my boom box."

At least you didn't say "...another Fleetwood Mac 8-track into my boom box."

Hey, anybody got a matchbook? My 8-track's double trackin' again! 

And Stevie's still hot.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

you youngin'! I was listening to 3 Dog Night 4 tracks in my hubby's 66 stang when we first dated

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Well, obviously for you, "one wasn't the loneliest number."

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Agreed on both....

• Three Dog Night - great stuff ... and, of special significance to an era of military brats that attended Frankfurt American High School, because Three Dog Night recorded a live album at the Jahrhunderthalle (the Hundred Year Hall), which is where the FAHS held high school graduation each Spring... 
        • and Stevie Nicks in her prime ... sublime...

Uh, gee, did we veer off topic?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Loyalty programs aren't about getting new customers. They're a way to keep customers.

There’s certainly an abundance of choices out there and we of course want our share of your repeat business - millenials,  gen x-ers, boomers or seniors included

erc Platinum

Good man, I can feel the love and for that (and because it's close to the airport and hopefully  helps me avoid traveling in the ice storm ) I've decided to stay at a Marriott tonight! A win-win

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

ERC and others: I am a boomer (just barely) and I book online, want a muti use lobby (I travel with my teams and need flexible space for us to meet and relax in), I travel with a PC, and an iphone and need free wifi in the room and the lobby (alas, Marriott seems to have really slow wifi almost everywhere), and I expect free coffee. So, that rules out all courtyards (no free coffee) and I am a life plat, so free wifi is there (just a bit slow). I may not be a millenial, but I get all of the references (3 dog night, stevie nicks, etc) as well as the cee-lo ref (I have youngish children and people in thier early 20's who work for me, so I need to be trending with the younger crowd for these things). As to Marriott, chase all the Millenails you want, but I control where my teams and I stay, we spend big and often, and yet, as I have enumerated on other threads, I feel continuing alienation by Marriott trying to attract the Millenials, who dont control the spending, dont have the $$ or GBP or Euros, and dont have the disposable income. So have a good time Marriott, since at some point, I will (and have) gone to other hotel chains (with my teams) that arent chasing the younger crowds and value me for the $$$ I bring and arent afraid to show thier appreciation and thank me for my loyalty.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...