41 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2014 10:42 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Family European trip suggestions?

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The family is headed to Europe in April to visit my son who will be studying there.  We are already set up for three nights in London, five in Paris and want to do 3-5 more nights somewhere else in central Europe.  We're debating Cologne, Munich, Berlin, Zurich or Belgium.  Any suggestions or tips regarding city and then Marriott properties there that would work for a family of four?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Munich, Bavaria, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Munich Marriott Hotel
Zurich, Switzerland Marriott Hotels & Resorts Zurich Marriott Hotel
Berlin, Berlin, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Berlin Marriott Hotel
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
Brussels, Belgium Marriott Hotels & Resorts Brussels Marriott Hotel
Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Frankfurt Marriott Hotel
Frankfurt, Germany
Rome, Italy Marriott Hotels & Resorts Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
  • Re: Family European trip suggestions?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

engineergirl,

Can you start out with a review of previous posts on your plans?

It would help us at MRi understand your ideas on choices.  You have such a wonderful plan, let us help you with specifics.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I've not posted on this particular trip but have been lurking for awhile :-).  My son will be studying in England, so our plans are to go to London for three nights (at the County Hall Marriott), chunnel-train it to Paris for five nights at the Ren Arc de Triomphe and then go to one other place in central Europe for 3-5 nights.  We like to stay active, do a  lot of walking, love to stay in cities but then also be able to get to less urban places nearby.  My sons are early to mid twenties so beer and wine are on about every agenda :-).

So we're trying to decide between Cologne, Brussels, Berlin, Munich, Zurich, Salzburg or some combo (I'd been thinking Munich as a base and getting down to Salzburg for a day or something)….there just aren't a lot of Marriott properties to choose from in these areas.

Any help/advice/experience would be appreciated. :-)

eppyvox Gold 6 Reviews

Try Prague or Budapest.  Easy to walk around and have good Marriott or Boscolo properties there. Check it out.

I've not posted on this particular trip but have been lurking for awhile :-).  My son will be studying in England, so our plans are to go to London for three nights (at the County Hall Marriott), chunnel-train it to Paris for five nights at the Ren Arc de Triomphe and then go to one other place in central Europe for 3-5 nights.  We like to stay active, do a  lot of walking, love to stay in cities but then also be able to get to less urban places nearby.  My sons are early to mid twenties so beer and wine are on about every agenda :-).

So we're trying to decide between Cologne, Brussels, Berlin, Munich, Zurich, Salzburg or some combo (I'd been thinking Munich as a base and getting down to Salzburg for a day or something)….there just aren't a lot of Marriott properties to choose from in these areas.

Any help/advice/experience would be appreciated. :-)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

If you've not spent time in London or Paris previously, I'd recommend spending the extra nights in these cities.  Or doing day trips from here.

Or,  I 'd recommend Ghent as a possible third stop.   Small, charming and with a great Marriott!  You can do day trips to Brugge and Brussels. Loved Brugge and Ghent.  Not so much Brussels.

jep2020 Gold 1 Reviews

This is a good recommendation.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I would second Ghent.  If you would like to get an idea of what it looks like, I created a Photo Album.  Belgium April 2013.   If you can't find it, I can provide a link.

And it is an easy train from Paris.  Train to Brussels, then over to Ghent.  Brugge is about 30 minutes west of Ghent by train and Brussels is about 45 mins, I believe.  Ghent is a fun place!  I also provided a trip report with restaurants, sites, etc.  And if you just saw the movie Monuments Men, you can see two of the most prominant artworks they discussed (and found):  The altarpiece in Ghent's St. Bavo and Michelangelo's Madonna and Child in Brugge.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

engineergirl,

I was just in Berlin a few weeks ago and LOVED it!  The city is clean, safe, and relatively easy to get around in.  Since I like Cold War history, Berlin was a dream for me!  The food was really awesome too! 

When there, I did stay at the Berlin Marriott.  I have yet to write a review, but the property was excellent!  The rooms were nice and modern.  All rooms have exterior views and the CL is great! 

Honeymoon-181.jpg

Honeymoon-182.jpgHoneymoon-183.jpg

Honeymoon-185.jpg

CL Breakfast

Honeymoon-213-2.jpg

Location Brand Hotel
    Berlin, Berlin, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Berlin Marriott Hotel

kh,

Great looking room in Berlin.  I love that Marriott too!  Wonderful location!

Don't forget the wonderful room at The Grand Flora, that you introduced me to!

IMG_3474.jpg

Room 620, a wonderful, peaceful room!

IMG_3615.JPG

This looks small, but there is another sitting room, as well as a well appointed bathroom!

Would take this room on any upcoming stay in Rome!

Location Brand Hotel
      Rome, Italy Marriott Hotels & Resorts Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
    barbaracollins Platinum

HI,

I live in England and know the London Hotels well.  County Hall is a lovely property, very old and very close to Houses of Parliment, the Thames, London Eye, and you can easily get about, there's convenient bus & tube right outside, you used to be able to get the eurostar from Waterloo (next to County Hall) but its moved now to St Pancreas.

How are you getting from Paris to your next choice and then are you travelling back from there?  l.. I only ask as if you're on the Eurostar it obviously goes to Brussels, and if you were flying then you could consider Spain or Italy. It's a bit hit and miss with some of the European Marriott's (especially in Italy)!

Barbara,

Welcome to the MRI site!

We welcome you and are so happy to get more insights from someone in GB.  You join the likes of great MRI like Arkwright, Chrisf, and SG, plus others.

We will all try to again get together next Feb. at County Hall and enjoy The CL for a laugh and travel update!  You would be more than welcome to bring anyone and enjoy meeting some fellow MRI!

BTW, you are so right on about CH!  Again, however, the right room location will make a whole lot of difference at CH!

IMG_1726.JPG

This is a wonderful location!  London would be first on my initial trip to Europe!  It's a much easier place to "Get comfortable" whether you have your family or just another person!  This hotel would be my first choice on the initial trip, if one had enough points (Book early!), or had this type hotel in your budget!

Barbara, again Thank-you for your suggestions, please keep them coming!

Location Brand Hotel
      London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

If you're traveling via auto, you might consider taking the Chunnel from Dover area (UK) to Calais, France, and drive into Paris and stay at the either the Marriott Hotel on the Avenue des Champs-Elysees, which is center of everything, of slightly-lesser-priced Marriott Renaissance Trocedera, near the Eiffel Towel. From here you could drive to Versailles or other places of interest around Paris.

However, driving your own auto might be not of your interest, so you could take train from London to other places in northern Europe, such as Amsterdam or Brussels. From either you could visit Bruges, Ghent, and Antwerp, Belgium, and take train south to Paris, or other cities. There is a Marriott Hotel and Renaissance in Amsterdam - I prefer the Marriott, even though it's not technically downtown - and a Marriott in the old section of Brussels (Grand Place). Don't think there is a Marriott in Bruges, but there is delightful one in Ghent.

Fred

barbaracollins Platinum

Thanks for your message, I'd love to meet you all!  I have been a member for a long time, since the site launched, but can never find the link to here from the Marriott website, so just forgot to come and see around

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I stayed at the Ren in Paris this last summer and I loved the place and its location .You can walk to the Arch and continue down the park and cross the river and back up the Champ back to hotel . Make sure you stop at Rue du Cler ( may not be perfect spelling) but it is outdoor market and one of the best in paris

jerryl,

Great point, and glad you had a wonderful time.  Agree totally with your experience, as mine have been the same.  This may bring back a few memories!

IMG_2313.JPG

View of AdT (To your right), and Eiffel Tower,(Top jutting out in the center).  This is from the room at The Ren. Adt!

IMG_1616.JPG

A modern, well located, very comfortable hotel, staffed by a wonderful group of people!

(See more about this hotel and others on previous posts)

Location Brand Hotel
          Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
            jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

yes it does bring back good memories . One other point with this hotel is the street it is on is not nearly as busy as the Champs which is close by and decent restaurants are close

jerryl,

Not only close but a WHOLE lot less expensive.  Here a few good ones that are good values"

IMG_2304.JPG

A short walk toward the AdT, you will find this "English" friendly place.  Wonderful food and value.

IMG_2306.JPG

The Cambridge is a nice place for a "Sidewalk Cafe".  Same side of street as hotel, prior to getting to The AdT!

IMG_1617.JPG

Right next door!  Just outside the hotel to your left!

There are plenty more in the area that are very nice, and very reasonably priced.

Bon Appetit!

You all are awesome!  You have given me, as usual, so many things to look at and consider.  I believe we have determined three nights in London at County Hall, three in Paris at Ren AdT and then five in Munich--probably at the Marriott, since I've seen some issues on TA, FT and Insiders about location and possible persistent bedbug issues at the Courtyard.  We will fly into London, take the train to Paris and be there for three and then go to Munich for five.  Haven't decided yet how we'll get to Munich--any advice?

While in Munich, we'll have a car and plan to use it as a home base to explore Bavaria.  Then fly home from Munich.

My biggest question is about upgrades/space/etc.  We will be my husband and I, our 21 year old son and our 24 year old son part of the time (he's a new engineer and doesn't have as much time off as his old parents :-) ).  I am a PP and we'll be on points-anyone have advice, suggestions for seeking upgrades to avoid having to get two rooms and pay huge up charges?

Thanks again, folks!  I knew I was coming to the experts.

:-)

I

engineergirl,

That is really quite a plan for your family, here are some things to consider:

You may want to spend one more night in London and Paris and take two nights out of Munich, if you fly to Munich from Paris OR,

Drive to Munich from Paris (9 hours) stop, stay over along the way and enjoy the sights.  It is an easy drive with much to see, including Champaign country, Baden-Baden, Stuttgart, and other places.  You could then use your car to see Bavaria first, and give yourself a final day, or two in Munich proper.  With 3 or 4 people I would be inclined to get a rental car in Paris and drive.

Having stayed at all of the hotels you have mentioned, all are very good.  The main thing is having time to "Relax" on this trip.  Some thoughts, "Don't try to do it all", you can't!  Pick priorities, do them, and consider the weather!  In London and Paris, the "Hop-on, Hop-off busses" are great for a tight budget.  If you like and want to spend the money have Nic in London, or Remi in Paris arrange for a private guide. (They are Concierges, and wonderful people).

Munich is nice, and the Marriott is pleasant, but you can see it in two nights and one full day, and be happy.  From the Marriott, you can take the subway directly to Marionplatz, and enjoy a fun day.

If you can, get rid of the rental car the night or day before you depart.  Don't put pre-flight stress on yourself with turning in a car.  Lastly, I would get a hotel at the Munich airport the very last night that adjoins the airport and relax there on my last night.  The Marriott is a distant ride from the airport and it makes for some uncertain to leave from there to catch an early morning flight.

These are just thoughts based upon my experiences, please let us at MRI know specific questions that can help you on your wonderful trip!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

egirl,

Welcome back friend, haven't seen you in a while. Looks like you have a wonderful agenda. Too late for this trip, but I would recommend Brussels or Ghent, and Frankfurt.

I have found emailing the Guest Services Mgr or GM of the properties the best way to secure upgrades. Unless the hotels are totally sold out, every European or Asian property I have used for a point stay have upgraded this PP to a junior suite or better. Throw some compliments about their properties in your email. Let them know you're really looking forward to your stay.

Location Brand Hotel
      Brussels, Belgium Marriott Hotels & Resorts Brussels Marriott Hotel
      Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Frankfurt Marriott Hotel
      Frankfurt, Germany
    chautauquany Gold 4 Reviews

I am excited for you and your trip and am wondering if this might be your first trip to Europe.  My only concern is that you will be spending all of your time in big cities, which is great for seeing the sights you have read about, but not so great to take in the people, food and culture of the countryside.  That is why I like your idea of more time in Munich, so you can get out of town, travel south to Bavaria sights and see some of the rural areas.  Additional time in Paris or London would afford you the same opportunity to see something of the countryside by planning some days out of town.  As far as traveling from Paris to Munich, driving 9 hours sounds a bit tiring to me, and gas is currently about $6/gallon in Germany, so it won't be inexpensive.  You might wish to check the high speed train which would be a 6 hour train ride through some beautiful countryside.  sncf.com/en/passengers is a site where you can buy tickets, and 4 adults, purchased in advance, is only 116 Euros one way.  Less if any of you are over the age of 59.  Taking the train from Paris is easy.  We asked the con. at the Arc dT to arrange for a taxi early in the am, and loaded up our luggage.  You don't have to get to the station early, like you would for a flight, and you can read, surf, talk, eat, etc., all the way there without worry of getting lost.  Rent a car upon arrival and scoot out of town, perhaps a visit to Dachau, which is near Munich, or Neuschwanstein Castle and Bavaria countryside, or any of the small towns in between--a couple of nights out of a Marriott might be refreshing as well. Visit the restaurant in the Rathskeller--the basement of Munich city hall.  And of course with your beer drinkers, you will need to visit the Hofbrauhaus, where beer is plentiful and meals are simple and inexpensive.  There is plenty to do in Munich during your stay--my Girl Scout troop spent about 4 days in the area after traveling from Switzerland and the Lake Constance area.  Have a great trip.

No, chautauquany, it's not my first trip to either London or Paris, nor one of my son's, but my husband and other son will be first time travelers to both.  I appreciate your advice, and all the tips you all have shared!  I am getting very excited about this trip.

travelfarandwide Platinum 6 Reviews

I would have recommended going less far, and enjoying the cities you are in, but if you have been to each before....then Salzburg is quite nice, and I would stay in Frankfurt or Zurich if I had to pick a city from your list. You don't want to spend too much time to go to a city too far away. Your husband and son will enjoy having to switch languages a few times on the trip, I know I always do, especially French to German, really different rhythm and cadence to the language. My last trip to that region involved Champagne and Salzburg, loved the architecture and the difference in the food as well.

Also, that Ren in Paris is fantastic, I've never enjoyed a better stay than there.

Have fun.

Well, it is a bit less stressful knowing that you have been over before, and your son has been studying there for awhile, so he probably has the "lay of the land" concerning trains, etc.   If you sons don't mind sharing a bed, you can upgrade at the ArcT and get 1 room with 2 beds.  I am only a gold member, and stayed on points, so it was just a bit of money + my points to get 2 beds.  Being platinum might get you the two bedded room for free.  It was a very large room for 3 of us, (my husband and I + 22 year old daughter) just depends on how flexible they are in terms of sharing a bed, but this hotel had huge rooms compared to any other I've had in Paris.

I am very jealous of your trip, as it has been 18 months since my last one.  And the last time I was in Paris was February 2012, when Europe had it coldest winter ever--kind of like the weather we are having in Western NY now. 

I see you switched from 5 nights at the ArcT to 5 nights in Munich.  I think the 5 night makes sense to maximize use of your points.  BUT, the drive from Munich to Bavaria wasn't a short one--might want to check google maps and see how long the drive is supposed to be--because returning to Munich to stay at a Marriott after sightseeing in Bavaria might make for a very long day.  Which might be what you need at the end of the trip--an excuse to sleep in one day!

chautauquany,

You bring up some wonderful points!

A couple of things to consider:

When you have more that 2 people staying in many hotels in Europe, be careful, some hotels do not allow this, and you may be forced to get two rooms, (If you can?).  Never go to a hotel without being sure they allow more that two per room.

Likewise, if one stays in Munich, it is an easy drive to Garmisch and Oberammergau.  Should take under an hour and a half, one way, depending on traffic.  Please go to previous posts by many others and myself to see details.

Lastly, you can easily make Salzburg a "Day trip" from Munich.  I would take Munich, any day, with any Marriott, over Salzburg.

Instead of Salzburg, I would take the group to:

HPIM0101.JPG

This is a "Spectacular" experience!

Good luck, no matter what or where you decide on doing!

Color me embarrassed!  You are right Jerrycoin, Google maps has the trip close to an hour from Munich to Neuschwanstein.  Last time I drove that, there were 3 cars traveling in our group, full of 13 Girl Scouters and it seemed to take forever!  Like hours.  Maybe it was due to one of the rental cars not having any power on the hills; we had to exchange it when we got back to Munich.  Maybe it was due to this being the last leg of a 3 week trip and I was mentallh and physically exhausted as the planner and group leader. Maybe because we stopped to shop "for a short time." Sorry for my bad info on this!

Yes, easiest way to find out if the hotel takes more than 2 people is to plug in the number in your group when making the hotel reservation, or send the hotel an email.  ArcT does take 3 people, but am not sure about 4, and a supplement payment needed to be made for 3 people.

BTW jerrcoin, I love how ALL of your comments are positive.  You never seem to get annoyed, which is a real gift.

chautauquany,

I try never to get "Annoyed", life is too much a gift to get annoyed!

You could consider taking a train!

Sounds like engineergirl already has plans to have a car once she gets to Munich!

Jerry,

Beautiful!  Very Fairy Tale like!  Must make it out there one day...

KH,

Yes, that is true, but no more than a wonderful place in Hawaii!

I just can't thank you enough for the tip on the room in Rome!

Very true Jerry!  And you are most welcome!  Glad you enjoyed it!  One day soon, you'll need to ask me for room recommendations on Oahu

KH,

Will make it back to Oahu, and will head to that wonderful place to dine, you have written about.  I'll even let you take Nancy and I too dinner!

Just kidding!

You're great!

travelfarandwide Platinum 6 Reviews

Good point, Neuschanstein was my first trip when I went to Germany. If you do go in that direction, then all around are other interesting places such as Hohenshwangau castle, Weiss Church, Hohen Schloss and the Fussen heritage Museum.

travelfarandwide,

That is a very good point!

This area in Germany is very beautiful!

HPIM0058.JPG

Thanks again, for the comment!

I posted some details about recent trip to Brussels and Ghent (Belgium) and you can see other photos of Bruges and other places in Belgium and Holland, also "Holland and Paris" under "Browse" (photo page).

travelmavenflorida Silver 5 Reviews

Anyplace in Bavaria (Bayern) the state where Munich is located is great.  Also, I would recommend Bruges Belgium.  May not be a Marriott there, but it's worth a day trip or two to see some amazing architecture and a gorgeous city with really old buildings on canals.  it's a one of a kind place.  Enjoy

Bruges is between Ghent and Antwerp and well worth at least a day visit. There is no Marriott there, but there is Holiday Inn Crown Plaza and Best Western Hotel, along with several others. If it's warm, and you don't have room A.C., don't open the windows in your room - there are mosquitoes who love tourist blood at night time.

Brugges 001.jpg

Brugges.jpg

Fred,

Lovely photo's and interesting post!

Have never been to Ghent, but it sure looks "Inviting"!

Thank-you for sharing!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...