27 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2013 11:00 PM by eb5147 RSS

High speed internet charges

jimbojr Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott recently stared charging for access to high speed internet. I asked if that charge was waived for platinum and was told that only the "regular" was complimentary.  Has anyone else had that experience and was the front desk correct?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: High speed internet charges
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi Jim

welcome to the site.  I personally have not seen anything in writing regarding internet choices/charges, but I can tell you that I choose the best service available and have not been charged a single time.  I have not traveled for six weeks, so something might have changed, so stay tuned and i will let you know how my choice of the best internet service this week works out for me.

shoeman

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

shoeman,

Agree, no matter where I go, no charge, no problem!

jimbojr Platinum

hmmmmm sounds like I have been an easy touch. Thanks for the info.

Jimbojr,

Welcome to the MRI site!

There may be something to check-out with these charges?

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I agree with all the others.  We always get the high speed for free because of PP.

Welcome, @jimbojr.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I have seen this in various properties

anadyr,

Now I must say that I have only used "Regular"!

Am not sure how to use anything else?

I actually succumbed to the higher tier of service and saw no difference.  As another insider remarked the true test is to apply www.speedtest.net to the connection and see what you really get.

My son says he sees no difference, either.  I sign up for it just in case.  I know it's faster than what we had with AT&T / Bell South, which never would upgrade faster than 32 bps out in the country.  We'll never go back to them.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

that's a bummer….. maybe they are just choosing their prey judiciously.

Might be reserved for the higher poster levels on Insiders!

anadyr,

They are "Waiving" me!

No charges here!

They get you in other ways Jerry, trust me, they do.

Here at home in the hills over the Pacific I am running at a virtual speed of 144 mbps but speed test shows that it is actually 32 mbps. Fast enough for scintillating posts here.

anadyr,

I just hope this speed continues here!

Have a real problem with KH!

I think he has "Ruined" my current trip!

KH?

anadyr,

Just "Kidding" don't tell him!

I must share a story or two!

Will post!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi jimbo:

Have never been charged for the 'higher' speed access. In fact, I had the Renaissance Tampa Airport (Jim Walter Blvd) tell me to sign in on the higher speed access just this week when I was there.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I've also have used the higher speed access without charge and also have been instructed to use the higher speed at some locations.

erc Platinum

We're 3 for 3 (no charge) so far on higher speed, with one time, like others above, my wife being told to select the higher speed. One thing I have observed over the years, which is running through this thread of comments; if at all possible (sometimes it's not), avoid asking, just politely move forward as if the better option is a given. Asking, often lead me to an ill-informed associate making up an answer which lead to a less favorable outcome or at least additional effort to secure the favorable outcome.

Alas the highest speed is excruciatingly slow even for free.

erc Platinum

See, that's where being a Luddite has its advantages - I don't know squat, so just getting e-mail is amazing for me .

email, is that that stuff from e-surance?  Doh?

PS, Luddites were destructive, so don't be a Luddite.

I found that out years ago, too.  Especially, never ask a boss if you can have a day off.  Tell them you have to take the day off and don't give them the chance to say no.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

I have chosen the Premium option several times, as recently as 10 days ago, and was not charged, being Plat.  I almost always run the Speakeasy speed test and was happy that last month at a RI in MSP the download speed was 6 mbs for the premium service.

Was upload over 1? I seldom even get that high at hotels (Marriott branded)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...