6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2013 7:13 AM by andrew_p2 RSS

Off the beaten track: London

andrew_p2 Member
Currently Being Moderated

Many visiting London may see all the "classics" but relatively few stray far from the beaten path, which is in many ways, the "real" London.  So, as a Londoner, I thought it might be handy to provide some tips on places to visit which you may not find in the guide book (or at least towards the back).

1. Brixton: Once an area which many avoided after dark but now home to a great indoor food centre (Brixton Village, on the map for any epicurean), vibrant market, and art house cinema (the Ritzy).

2. Hampstead: If the urban chaos gets too much, head out to Hampstead for a walk around the village and pleasant walks across Hampstead Heath with great views over the City and even outdoor swimming (summer might be best for that)

3. Richmond: You can visit the deer in Richmond Park, or perhaps Kew Gardens.  Alternatively, head to William Curley's for some excellent chocolate.

4. Dalston: To see where the London hipsters are hanging out, you can't go wrong with Dalston (also, if youdon't fancy that, a good place to avoid)

5. East Dulwich:  Perhaps not the first place you might visit but one that very few tourists will ever find- a true slice of South London.  Think yummy mummies, street art festivals, tempting cafes, a good wine bar, craft beer.

6. Tooting: Not as dodgy as you may have heard and the place for authentic Pakistani cuisine

Hope that helps

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England, United Kingdom
  • Re: Off the beaten track: London
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

andrew,

Thank-you for sharing this information with all of us!  Hope to get to a few on the next trip!

Will let you know and would enjoy having you join a few MRI's, for a snack, at County Hall in Feb., 2014!

We always have some laughs and exchange travel stories!  All are welcome!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

andrew_p2 Member

That sounds good to me.  Please let me know the dates a little closer to the time and will hopefully see you then.

I will also try to add a few restaurant recommendations (based on latest culinary adventures).

Cheers

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Andrew,

From the same side of the pond as you, but a different city, a word to say how helpful and refreshing  your post is - and, I'm sure, will be to many.

I've always felt that much of the attraction of London - and for me it is one of the few genuinely great cities - lies in exploring exactly the type of "by-ways" you've mentioned.

Thank you,

Arkwright

jetlag66 Platinum

Dulwich sounds intriguing.   Any hotels in area, or what is closest one.

andrew_p2 Member

Not too many hotels in the area as not really touristy but Air BnB may be worth a look.   Alternatively, it is only about 10 minutes by train from Victoria station.  Hope that helps.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...