13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2013 2:29 PM by ks77 RSS

Another Maui Tradition

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We also have an arrival tradition when we visit Maui that started 8 years ago.  We go to a restaurant in Lahaina for lunch that is right on the water.  We were disappointed in the food this time (and I guess I should have said something then), but the view can't get much better than this.......

cheeseburger.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Maui, Hawaii, USA
  • Re: Another Maui Tradition
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

An awesome view for sure, tough look out the office window for the employees.  Too bad your food was not up to the usual standards, make sure to let them know so when I get there it's excellent!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I remember eating at Bubba Gumps on the water.  I ate so much shrimp that I went months where I couldn't even look at a shrimp.  The view was great as I remember.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

You didn't mention the name.  Which restaurant is this?

My experience in Maui is that Lahina has a few good restaurants but I prefer others.  I think Lahina draws tourists and the food is such.  I try to find places that locals eat at.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

The Cool Cat Cafe isn't a bad place to grab a burger for lunch. Certainly not the best burger I have ever had but a great way to have a switch up for your taste buds after eating so much fresh fish and other amazing seafood.

Now if you really want some excellent food you must head over to Welcome to Mama's Fish House Restaurant and Inn - Maui, Hawaii .  The place is a bit pricey, but worth trying especially at lunch.

I used to go to Mama's every trip and then I had 2 bad experiences in a row and stopped.  I have heard that it has gotten better again but still have a bad taste in my mouth.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

We went to Mama's a few years ago.  My meal was sub par, but my wife's was over-the-top good.  Another favorite of our is the hamburger joint Cheeseburger in Paradise.  This is NOT part of the chain by the same name, and has both a wonderful view of the ocean, and great burgers.  This is over by Kapalua.

Cheeseburger in Paradise is in Lahaina and shoeman1000 is right, wonderful view from upstairs particularly. 

Lahaina

Platinum 28 Reviews

shoeman1000

Mon Ami, you couldn't be more current and right - we decided three years ago that Mama's survives by past reputation and diner's that read guide books!

OVERPRICED, SERVICE THAT HAS DETERIORATED AND SUB PAR FOOD!

Fellow Island Lovers - find someplace else.

It is good to see that someone has the same opinion as I do.  I was beginning to wonder if I should give it another try.

I have enjoyed Buzz's Wharf.  Again on the water but they no longer have open air.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

My wife and I were planning to go there on our trip next year but now I don't think we will be going. It's always such a sin when a restaurant becomes really popular and gets a rep for being great but then decides to engage cruise control and not continue to execute well and the place slowly goes downhill.

It's too bad Mama's disappointed, guess we were just lucky or having not been there in almost three years things may have gotten worse.  Thanks for setting me straight kids, I don't like giving out bad intel, particularly for food.

Unfortunately things don't tend to stay the same.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...