45 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2014 11:59 AM by bpelican RSS

New York Marriott Marquis Hotel

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I will be going to the Marriott Marquis Hotel in NYC.  Does anyone know of good/cheaper places to park a car while staying @ the hotel.  I understand their garage is $85.00/night (yikes!) & is undergoing construction so it takes ~45 mins+ to get your car. Also, does anyone have any other tips for this hotel or the area?  Thanks in advance!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott Marquis
  • Re: New York Marriott Marquis Hotel
    erc Platinum

As a train, bus guy, not much experience in parking. The one time we did drive to catch a game, we stayed at the Jersey City CY and caught PATH to subway to stadium - parking was less than $20, but that lead me to think about other properties; don't know your particulars (luggage, need of car) but the Algonquin a couple of blocks over shows on site parking rates of $35 on Marriott.com.

I've had excellent casual meals at 5 Napkin Burger, NY Beer Company, and Brooklyn Diner all within an easy walk of the Marquis. Have a good time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

No advice, but $85 a night to park!!!!  I am staying at the FFI in January just across the river in Long Island City (probably less than 3 miles away) for $84 per night which includes parking.

Thanks erc & lakersfan. We are celebrating my BIG birthday with our kids & want to be right in Times Square.  Fortunately I have a 5-day hotel portion of a travel package I got earlier this yr on MR points. And I just got Cyber Monday low rates for the kids.  I will have to check for alternate parking in the neighborhood or just pay the Marquis rate :-(. We have tried 5 Napkin Burger, but your other suggestions sound good as well.  My husband likes to try any IPA's & local beers wherever we go.  I am sure we will be seeing a show or 2 as well. Thanks again!

Platinum 28 Reviews

A few comments about the NY Marquis - Great Hotel - large rooms BUT - I will no longer stay there on a business trip.

It is tantamount to "Disneyland" but at times more crowded.  Also I don't believe there is a CL that is more crowd.

I'm into "family friendly" but having 50% of the occupants of a CL under the age of 15, running around, hogging food that you have been waiting for while actually standing in line is too much after a day of earning a living.

There are other wonderful Marriott brand properties that I would choose for business travel than the Marquis.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

misterchk,

Wow!

You put it so well!

I would not go to NYC if I had a "Free room" at The Marquis!

There are so many better Marriott properties in the area.

Just my opinion!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

You can actually grow old waiting for an elevator at certain times and during holidays. BTW a seat for dinner with a times square full view on New Year's Eve is "only" $3500 a person, and I've considered booking a table for the four of us

anadyr,

Please do me a favor!

Don't ask me to join you again for this event!

I appreciated you taking all of us in the past, but there must be another 100 MRI, who would enjoy going with you this next time!

I already charged it to your card, and it is not refundable--sorry!

anadyr,

Yes, I say that, and have already paid the bill.  However, I won't show up!

Have a more important event to attend:

The annual "Rooster Calling" contest in Central Missouri.  I am not participating this year, but if travel costs keep going up, I may become a contestant?

Well please say hello to the **** of the walk for me.

anadyr,

No comment!

You would get me in trouble, and as Eric Burton say's " I've got to get out of this place"!

Meaning, being abusive!

Saw the Animals in concert at the Sunset Center a few years back--my ears are still ringing, Mrs Anadyr was not a fan but I am and will be.  Eric lives down in the desert BTW, where he's a local legend.

anadyr,

I understand he is a "Regular guy"!

During my dinner last evening, I sang to my wife, "Girl, there is a better place for me and you!"

We left!

When I was there last spring the folks told me that the garage was being converted to an underground shopping mall, and that it would be closed (no date given for the closure). I'd recommend taking a Taxi or using the subway, rather than driving. Even a limo service might be cheaper in the time you would need it. They are always parked at the entrance on the first floor (registration is on the 8th).

Thanks everyone for your advice.  I do know that the parking garage is under construction.  I will call the Marquis & get their say on the matter when it gets closer to our visit. Hopefully, misterchk, there won't be too many kids midweek in February! I was tempted to book the 2 new Marriott hotels opening soon or just did in Central Park, I think, but my son works across the street from the Marquis & this will be very convenient for him. As always, there are pluses & minuses to everything!

cttraveler Gold

Try the Algonquin on 44 th Street, also a Marriott

jerrycoin & anadyr..you are a riot!!  I am sure I will have FUN no matter where I stay.  Pluses & minuses to everything.

Yes you will, NYC is a hoot any time of the year

joeyrios Platinum

Google nyc parking.. All sorts of parking company websites come up where you can print out a coupon for overnight parking, the various websites will show you availability by neighboorhood... Put in the dates, the approx time you'll check in and out, it'll be a lot less than $85/night. i've done it and it works.

joeyrios Platinum

Google nyc parking.. All sorts of parking company websites come up where you can print out a coupon for overnight parking, the various websites will show you availability by neighboorhood... Put in the dates, the approx time you'll check in and out, it'll be a lot less than $85/night. i've done it and it works.

joeyrios Platinum

joeyrios Platinum

joeyrios Platinum

You're welcome, i kept getting an error when i first posted and kept hitting the reply button hence the multiple postings. At any rate, not all garages offer overnight, but you will find many that do, that are nearby. I'd stick with the marquis, provided you have a parking solution, as the rooms are larger than rooms in most other marriott properties in nyc. Their CL is really good, and you're right next to the tkts booth (check tdf.org) for up to 50% off for 'day of show' tickets. Their selection is pretty comprehensive although not for each and every show.... If you're flexible with which show(s) you want to see, this is the way to go.

So we decided to take the train to NYC & not have to worry about the parking. We got saver rates, so it will be cheaper that gas/tolls & NYC parking.  Once there, we will be walking, cabbing or using the subway.  Will let you know how it turns out. Any other suggestions for things to do for 5 days in NYC??

Platinum 28 Reviews

rinny54

Rinny, not trying to be sarcastic, but a better question would be what to do in NYC for 5 years not 5 days.

You could spend 30 days in Manhattan with too many choices to do everything in addition to too many restaurants to chose from!

Just GO - everything will fall into place and you will have a great time.

Chuck

Thanks everyone!

Hi all,

Just got back from NYC. We had a wonderful 5 days!!  The Marriott Marquis was fine, albeit expensive for food/drinks.  The concierge lounge was good with the same breakfast foods daily & varied hot items/cheese @ cocktail hour.  They were very strict on entering:  one special card per room which allows 2 to enter. Some highlights of our trip were the following restaurants--Chez Josephine & Marseille & Davfni & theatre:  Motown the Musical. We went on the Radio City Music Hall & Rockefellar Center tours & learned a lot.  This year the Rockettes will have a spring show. Ground Zero was moving; they are opening the museum in the spring as well. You are right Misterchk, there is plenty to do!  We hope to go back when it's a bit warmer.  The train ride from Boston to Penn Station was perfect with no problems even leaving during a big snow storm!

Platinum 28 Reviews

rinny54

They evidently got some "religion" on controlling the CL. 

What went on there over the past few years made the CL a joke.  Families with 3 or 4 children running around like it was a "circus" constantly butting in line and carrying off any food that was put out.

To add to the nonsense the parents made no effort to control their behavior and it seemed that they placed them there to be babysat.

I'd be interested to know how the "policing" worked (if it did).

rinny54,

So wonderful to hear you had a great time!

Thanks for sharing, and I am always "Happy when I don't recommend a hotel, and people go and have a fantastic time"!

Boy that is good news on the CL and long overdue!

Thanks

anadyr,

Do you think MRI had anything to do with this "Change" at Marquis?

This is good news for a place "I had sworn off"!

Hope they continue to "Please and dazzle"!

I think the GSS results showed that the 2000 room hotel with two Concierge Levels was already in danger of mass confusion in the CL and they finally took a stand. Wonder how long the restrictions will last?

anadyr,

Good point!

They really needed to do something.

Platinum 28 Reviews

The hotel's CL certainly wins the award for the number one in complaints from our group.  I'm guilty of at least 3 or 4 postings on the conditions that one has encountered.

Now comes the true test of valor and bravery:  who will TOFTT by visiting the hotel and reporting back if there new system is working?

Not me, I've never been accused of being brave.  Until then I will enjoy a few of Manhattan's other Marriott (and associated) properties.

When the CL was open, there was a guy @ the door who asked for the special black card we got @ registration. This card was your room key also & was needed to get into the CL.  They asked for it EVERY time. It was nice & quiet in the CL.  I don't think I saw 1 child in 5 days.

Also, of note, there were no issues with the elevators.  Max wait was 1 minute. And Stephanie @ the Elite desk @ check-in was very helpful & pleasant.  I went down to chat with her about something else a few days later when my kids were checking in & again she was cheerful, informative & gracious.

Platinum 28 Reviews

rinny54

Re: Elevators:

STATE OF THE ART!!  With all my travels around the world in hotels ranging from one star to infinity I have never seen the computerized elevator system employed by this hotel.

It was a pleasure not having to stand in front of a "specific" bank  (ex. floors 4 - 20) for minutes on end waiting for a car than finding it full.

Their system of computerized car regulation  caused a max wait time of (if memory serves me from last year) about 30 seconds and once in the car never more than 2 or 3 stops.

If there is one PLUS about this property (there are actually many in all fairness) it is the elevator system.

Those who have never seen this "state of the art" system should visit the hotel just to view how it works.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I'm still stuck in the "state of the art" some five years after my last stay.......somebody stop this speeding thing from going up and down so much.

You're sure correct, the elevators are just about always there when you want them, a very nice compliment to the hotel.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

This is good news rinny54 re: Marriott Marquis.  It was my home away from home immediately following 9/11 and after nine months I became very attached to it.  Glad you enjoyed your visit to NYC and the Marquis.  Thanks for posting your experiences.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Sounds like fun.  I have enjoyed my stays there.  I went down to the bar one night to get two glasses of wine and they offered me a nice bottle for $40.  Was a nice touch - so we had some wine before and then after dinner.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...