36 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2013 8:02 PM by bejacob RSS

Bucket List survey

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Interesting bucket list survey:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10488945/Northern-Lights-tops-bucket-list.html

what are your thoughts? have you been to the places listed or would like to go?

I can see the attraction of the Northern Lights, that is something I would like to see.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: Bucket List survey
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Great thread, sg1974 , my guess is you'll get some terrific responses!  I'd love to see the Northern Lights someday....  My bucket list is lengthy , but I'm always willing to add more sites (and it seems to grow longer, rather than shorter, each year)....

Let me suggest one that isn't always on everyone's radar: a couple years back, I had the opportunity to visit Ha Long Bay in Vietnam - remarkable - check it out here: Ha Long Bay - UNESCO World Heritage Centre

More recently, I consider myself (incredibly) lucky that I ticked three (yes 3!!!) off my bucket list in the last 12 months.

I doubt I'll be that lucky again anytime soon.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sg1974 Gold

Yes, Ha Long Bay does look good and i'd love to visit in the future.

Machu Picchu is certainly on my list.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Sg,

That's a good list (and great thread).  I wouldn't mind seeing most of those places.  One place that is now on my list is Monument Valley.  My dad just showed me some photos of a trip my folks took a while back.  I had no idea how beautiful it is (or why I never knew more about it).

Images of Monument Valley

Another place I'd like to see is Angor Wat Angkor - UNESCO World Heritage Centre.  Maybe I could see it someday along with SS's suggestion of Ha Long Bay.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

awe, that must be why chrisf just took on parts of Route 66 recently. Top of my list would be Austrailia, followed by Ireland and then Niagra Falls  (believe it or not I haven't yet seen that with my own eyes)

great post sg1974

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I can recommend all three. Lived in Australia as a kid, toured Ireland in 2009, and visited Niagara several times. Make sure to go to the Canadian side. They have a better view.

madmax, hope you get to check off all of those some day. Excellent choices.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Thanks for the tip about Niagara Brian. Good to know.

sg1974 Gold

Niagara Falls was great.

The boat trip on the Maid of the Mist was fun.

Maid of the Mist

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

yes, I definitely want to take the Maid of the Mist boat ride. I thought it looked interesting but now I know first hand that it is worth the time. Thanks sg

sg1974 Gold

DSC_0211.JPG

DSC_0217.JPG

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

OOh man those pics are absolutely amazing. The rainbow? Wow. Gotta get there soon.

Great pictures. In all my visits to the area, I have never taken the Maid of the Mist. Perhaps someday.

Another option if you just can't resist getting drenched by the fall is the Cave of the Winds Tour (Cave of the Winds (New York) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Each year a wooden walkways is built beneath the falls. Having seen the raincoat clad tourist getting pelted with water didn't make me want to go, but I'm sure it is quite an experience.

BTW, I also remember a restaurant on the Canadian side overlooking the falls. You can't beat the view.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Maid of the Mist is definitely worth the trip.  Cave of the Winds is also very worthwhile.  Have fun.

erc Platinum

Hong Kong (that's why I loved madmax's photos - great views) and Singapore for me (with a guide and all I do is walk around and look and listen).

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

best way to do it. I've been to Singapore but have no photos unfortunately. It is a very beautiful, immaculate place with beautiful foliage. They take great pride in landscaping which is alot of what makes a place beautiful in my eyes. You will love it when you get to go.

Regarding Hong Kong, be sure you take the tram up the Peak which is where I took my photos. Oh, what a view.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

let me join in on the Singapore bandwagon - as we joke, it's all the best of Hong Kong (which I also love), without the chaos and the verticality... 

• I'm a big fan of the Singapore Marriott - there are some extensive (positive) reviews here: Singapore Marriot Review
      • Dunno why I didn't get around to posting any photos the last time I was in Singapore, but here's one of my favorites: Shutterfly - just click on the blue Shutterfly link (to the left), the monitor lizards rock!!!! - and you can keep clicking to check out some skyline shots (from the epic Sky Bar) and some pics from a hike around MacRitchie Reservoir Park; and
      • I didn't get to the Night Safari this time around, but I highly recommend it - really unusual: Night Safari - Singapore's No.1 Nightspot

erc Platinum

That's great stuff. With all of your monkeys and lizards, you must have a kung fu background or are a big Kwai Chang Caine fan . Love those heights. For all the beauty of the nature shots, the skyline, the eye, and the suspension bridge were my favorites. Thanks for sharing.  Now, pass along the secrets of the Renaissance Discovery Doors, and I'm on my way .

While I haven't complied a bucket list, per se, I'd say my county collecting hobby qualifies as an unofficial list.

Goal - visit every county in the U.S. and document it by mailing a postcard from each county seat. 795 completed so far (plus another 528 visited but not documented for a total of 1323, so I've been in about 41% of the counties in the country). If I can maintain the pace of about 200 counties per year, Ithsi will keep me busy for at least the next dozen years. If not, I guess it will take longer.

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

bejacob, have you ever posted a list by state of the counties you have visited/documented?

77paris, I haven't posted a list, but I did upload a map on my blog (Brian's County Collecting Blog) which happens to be a finalist for a Roady Award. Kind of exciting for a relative newcomer like me!

Here the map again

counties 2013.gif

Quick explanation of the colors. Blue is for the counties that I have documented (have postcards). Green is for counties where I have been in the county seat, but not yet collected postcards (these visits were before I started my collection). Teal is for counties I have been in, but not actually visited the county seat.

I do have a list (spreadsheet) organized by state and county. It includes the date and time of my visit. The list would take up quite a bit of space, so I'll spare everyone. As the map fills in, I'll upload it again (probably once, maybe twice a year).

Impressive! Interesting trails of teal & green as you move. What is your next major area to hit?

I'm starting to think about my 2014 travels. I may drive down to Birmingham (from Columbus, OH) in late February. That would allow me to collect part of northern Alabama as well as central Tennessee. If I stop in Chattanooga on the way home, I could probably pick up the corner of Georgia as well. Or I might fly to Atlanta and drive south and east from there and include part of Florida. I'm still debating what I will do, but I will choose somewhere warm that time of year.

I'll be in Minneapolis in June, so I'll add a number of counties in Minnesota (and maybe complete Wisconsin). I also know I will be driving to D.C. early in November next year, so I can fill in a few gaps between home and there as well.

I'm sure there will be more trips, I just don't know where yet. I'd like to complete Michigan and Indiana next year. I want to top the 1,000 county mark next year. I need 205 just to reach that goal. I love going to new places (counties that are white on the map), but turning teal and green counties blue is just as much fun.

And I still have a lot of the western part of the country open. Lucky for me this is a long-term goal and I'm still a few years shy of turning 50. Plenty of time.

politicalman Gold 3 Reviews

If you drive this way make sure to check out Cheekwood in Nashville and the Huntsville Botanical Garden.  Both on the way and both great gardens especially in spring or summer.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It better be Texas!   Plenty of counties to wander through.

IAHFLYR…..254 counties to be exact! Could keep bejacob busy for quite a while.

Texas remains a challenge. I've only collected 23 of the 254 counties in the Lone Star state. I expect I'll be making several visits to the state over the years.

My best week of collecting was 97 counties in 7 days back in March of 2012 (Georgia and South Carolina where the counties are smaller).

Texas will definitely take some time.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We've got nothing but time so bring it on!

sg1974 Gold

Good luck with your goal.

Would be good to hear about lesser known places that you have been to that have been better than expected.

In general, I love the smaller towns. Too much traffic in the large cities. One interesting place I found was Madison, Indiana along the Ohio River. Great historic downtown and cool independent stores.

Sometimes the fun is getting to a fairly remote location such as some the counties in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, or Bisbee, Arizona.

Another plus is a place near water. I've enjoyed several towns along the Great Lakes (Sturgeon Bay and Port Washington, WI & Marquette and Munising, MI were all awesome). With still 75% of the counties to collect, I'm sure I'll find plenty of wonderful places.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Very ambitious.  Good luck.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

You are trying to visit every 'county'!?!  It makes my ambition to visit every USA State look pretty poor.  So far, I have managed only 26 of the 50 States plus DC and 2 territories - US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.  I can't even work out where the counties are!

Good luck with your many journeys.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

chrisf,

Look at that Atlas you have. 

It will show counties in Orange, and name them!

Good luck, and you may need a magnification glass!

Thanks, Jerry.  Yup, I dug out the magnifying glass … I think that I'll stick with my States ambition …

Chrisf,

Glad you found it!  I sure can't "See" to find mine!

Just hope you can make it back to The Mid-West, USA.  Would enjoy getting together on this side of "The Pond"!

I'll admit it is a bit of a strange hobby, but aside from the enjoyment I get from my travels, there is a bit of family history that spurred me to do this.

My grandfather, Bruno E. Jacob (my monogram was chosen to match his) did exactly the same thing beginning in 1946. By 1966 he had just 100 counties to complete (he collected the last one in 1976). I am the proud owner of his entire postcard collection which is how we documented his travels (this helps explain why I am using postcards as well). I'll make time to create a photo album of some of his postcards in the new year.

A few counties have been created since my grandfather died, so I like to imagine I am collecting those ones for both of us.

I look forward to posting more on my blog (Brian's County Collecting Blog) in 2014 with lots of Marriott stays in the process.

sg,

I always find these newspaper surveys a little unbelievable.  The bucket list is a regular pub topic when I get together with my retired buddies and these are not out top ones … maybe it is an age thing … or perhaps we have done most of these?  Just going through the list, the only ones that I haven't done are the Aurora Borealis (tried but didn't see it), the Great Wall (on our list but would be part of a wider trip in China) and the Taj Mahal (if we did visit India, this would not be high on our list).  I was going to visit the pyramids in Egypt but was recommended to do a Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan - it was great.

Somewhere in South America does appeal … Machu Picchu would be good.

chrisf,

Feel the same way!

Surveys?

Most of the time, I don't know what they are talking about?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...